The road to 6th spot and the GF

Zelinsky

This is an interesting set of stats that I saw on 442.

Last 6 matches (total)

1 Melbourne Vict. 6 6 0 0 18 
2 Sydney FC 6 4 2 0 14
3 Newcastle Jets 6 3 1 2 11
4 Wellington 6 2 3 1 6 9
5 Brisbane Roar 6 2 1 3 7
6 Melbourne City 6 1 3 2 6
7 Perth Glory 6 1 3 2 6
8 Western Sydney 6 0 4 2 4
9 Adelaide Utd 6 1 1 4 4
10 Central Coast 6 0 1 5 1

Unfortunately, we have to rely on other results.

Round 7 Catch up

We need a 3-0 or 4-1 result by the tards.

With the Albanian back in, it is possible.

Would change our ladder position to 7th

Round 16

A win by the tards with Griffiths suspended is likely would keep Perth on 18 points.

A win at Campbelltown makes it possible for us to be on equal points with Perth and the Jets with only goal difference. The only confounding factor are the Nix who play the Roar. A win puts them on 18 points as well but a draw or loss drops to 7th or 8th.

it all comes to nought if we lose or draw

We don't need any results to go our way - we just need to win and we'll be moving up the ladder

A win next week v jets and we'll be 5th, 6th or 7th

We then have roar away, wellington away and Ccm at home.

Call me optimistic, but we will win them all, and by the the next derby in 5 weeks, we will be on 27 points and in 4th spot.

We don't need any results to go our way - we just need to win and we'll be moving up the ladder

Call me optimistic, but we will win them all, and by the the next derby in 5 weeks, we will be on 27 points and in 4th spot.

Very optimistic seeing as we are currently sitting on 2 wins and you're betting on 4 in a row

If we are serious about doing anything we need to win 3 at least

Jets

CCM

NIx

Edited by StringerBellend

I'm not even confident this week against the Jets at Campbelltown. Not that I think we shouldn't beat them. But it is that mental barrier of trying to win that first game in a long time. It is tough. But if we win this week it could be a big break through for us. It will finally give some confidence.

Edited by WestSyd

"We win them all" is just a tad optimistic :-).

We do not have what it takes to win consecutive games. The table is a reflection of that. Wins don't just happen because we want them to happen.

IF the defensive effort (Popa: "the foundation is now in place") we've seen in the last two games replaces the Borda/Tyson/Redmayne comedy festival as the "new normal" and

IF Antonis adds something in midfield and

IF we find goals somewhere to beat those ahead of us

THEN the dream of 3rd spot will stay alive.

Everything else is wishful thinking.

"We win them all" is just a tad optimistic :-).

We do not have what it takes to win consecutive games. The table is a reflection of that. Wins don't just happen because we want them to happen.

IF the defensive effort (Popa: "the foundation is now in place") we've seen in the last two games replaces the Borda/Tyson/Redmayne comedy festival as the "new normal" and

IF Antonis adds something in midfield and

IF we find goals somewhere to beat those ahead of us

THEN the dream of 3rd spot will stay alive.

Everything else is wishful thinking.

Without Borda we look miles better in defense, I can see us tightening up and starting to rack up some clean sheets. The rest will be up to Santa unless we do bring someone in, but then no guarantee whoever did come in would get straight in to the goals and we need goals right from now.

Looking at what has gone it is difficult to see how we are going to turn the corner all of a sudden, but who know, one win and we could get on a roll....buts needs to be NOW, like this round coming....

Perth & Newcastle look like they are about to be securing there spot in the six, Wellington going on a run & I wouldn't put it past Adelaide to beat us.

The aim for third, let alone six looks to be a difficult one!

People will start saying 'well its still mathematically possible so blah blah' which of course it will be for sometime to come yet, but for mine Sunday is already a must win, home to the Jets... want to make the finals, has to start with 3 points there. 

man this thread is depressing.

Needs a new title to freshen it up a little. 

I suggest the 3rd be changed to 6th, so everyone feels a tad more positive in our prospects & post accordingly 

Ignore my previous comment, change thread name to how do we avoid the spoon. 

Perth & Newcastle look like they are about to be securing there spot in the six, Wellington going on a run & I wouldn't put it past Adelaide to beat us.

The aim for third, let alone six looks to be a difficult one!

People will start saying 'well its still mathematically possible so blah blah' which of course it will be for sometime to come yet, but for mine Sunday is already a must win, home to the Jets... want to make the finals, has to start with 3 points there.

It's a good old fashioned 'six pointer'

man this thread is depressing.

Needs a new title to freshen it up a little.

I suggest the 3rd be changed to 6th, so everyone feels a tad more positive in our prospects & post accordingly

This right here

3rd is impossible 6th if we don't start winning likewise

Campbelltown has been good to us let's hope so again

If we play like we did in the derby and add Santa up front we'll start winning games. We still have to add to the squad, especially before the ACL starts but that performance last weekend would have been enough to beat pretty much every other team in the league.

Would've wiped out Victory the way they played last night

If we play like we did in the derby and add Santa up front we'll start winning games. We still have to add to the squad, especially before the ACL starts but that performance last weekend would have been enough to beat pretty much every other team in the league.

I dunno...it was a refreshingly good performance, don't get me wrong, but...I think esfc are overrated. They're very clinical, but the attacks of Victory, Roar, City and even Perth scare me more.

Ultimately we didn't create much last weekend, not enough to beat any of those teams either.

I dunno...it was a refreshingly good performance, don't get me wrong, but...I think esfc are overrated. They're very clinical, but the attacks of Victory, Roar, City and even Perth scare me more.

Ultimately we didn't create much last weekend, not enough to beat any of those teams either.

While people complain about us dominating possession and not scoring our biggest problem has been at the other end of the field. No being able to keep a clean sheet for 14 rounds means that we're regularly chasing games and trying to turn our possession into goals through a stacked defence.

Bringing in Vedran and Cornthwaite seems to have settled the defence and we haven't conceded since that back five was put together. ESFC couldn't sit back and had to take risks going forward because we didn't give up our weekly dumb goal. If we can defend like that moving forward our front line will have a lot more opportunities.

Then add in Santa as I mentioned. By doing that we're replacing an inexperienced youth league striker with a player who's two goals off third in the golden boot has more goals per minute than everyone in the top ten.