FCB

The road to 6th spot and the GF

We would be in the top 6 if we didn't concede the stupid goals

To get past that we need both

Let's face it we have largely been dire at both ends

Looking more fanciful as the rounds roll past us.

Time to lock this thread :ninja:

Don't deserve to be top 6 and looking increasingly unlikely we won't. Hope Popa finds a winning formula for the ACL games coming up, always possible.... but I think Asian club football has moved on a little since we won it and will be harder...

I am looking forward to midweek ACL games again, but little else to look forward to, would it be too much to ask to beat the Smurfs in a few weeks <sigh>...

Can't fooking wait for the end of season fan forum at the end of this season lol 

Edited by WSWBoro

I put it in another thread have a look at our remaining games acl or not with those games it will be a disgrace if we can't make the 6

man this thread is depressing.

Needs a new title to freshen it up a little. 

I suggest the 3rd be changed to 6th, so everyone feels a tad more positive in our prospects & post accordingly 

Still a mathematical chance...  :sorry:

On the one hand the season has been bleak.

Very.

And immensely frustrating.

Andreu leaving. Not having a striker. Pressing the self-distruct button in multiple games.

27 passes from the attacking third, back to the keeper or to set-up a goal opportunity for the opposition.

We'd be a wonderful coaching example of how to stuff-up possession football.

NO END PRODUCT.

[footnote, Dear Coach, all opposition teams have our short corner moves worked out, even my wife can see what's coming]

Nonetheless, despite all this and having a so called leaky defence, we've only lost 5 games.

Which is the same as both Melbourne teams.

With 10 games to go there is still something at stake.

We have to finish on the up.

5th or 6th is achievable.

And thus a final, likely against either Brisbane or Citah.

So a good day out come what may.

Win this and we could be playing Smurfs at an FFA event Wankfest.

Beating the Smurfs in a semi-final?

Even the much maligned Jumpei would never pay for sushi again west of Ashfield.

Heads up peoples, it's football.

Just when I started to feel more confident about the rest of the season we concede two laughable goals in Brisbane.

But still: we have a new goal keeper, a seemingly re-born Cornflakes, added a quality midfielder and a seasoned striker. Our home grown players have improved and are pushing imports out of the starting IX or even off the bench. That is a very different team that started the year against Perth.

If we switch off the errors at the back and are more ruthless up front we'll be a handful. Ten more rounds to go, 30 points to play for. What can possibly go wrong?

It is pretty amazing that we've only lost as many times as the Melb teams. It's been a pretty freakish season tbh. And that gives me confidence that we're the sort of team that might have a chance in the finals from 5th or 6th.

Getting there is the issue though. Looking at our fixtures, there are a lot of winnable games. But we're just...so goddamn good at drawing. This weekend's game is huge, obviously.

I would love it, LOVE IT #keegan if we could play the smurfs in a final.

The finals is when Popa's master plan will become clear. We've spent the whole season practising for draws and every training session has been penalty shootout practice.

We're going to draw our way to the toilet seat.

It is pretty amazing that we've only lost as many times as the Melb teams. It's been a pretty freakish season tbh. And that gives me confidence that we're the sort of team that might have a chance in the finals from 5th or 6th.

Getting there is the issue though. Looking at our fixtures, there are a lot of winnable games. But we're just...so goddamn good at drawing. This weekend's game is huge, obviously.

If smurfs finish top, which they will and we finish say 6th, most likely if we do make the 6, then should we get past an away trip probably in Melb or Brissy we would prob face smurfs in a semi final.

If smurfs finish top, which they will and we finish say 6th, most likely if we do make the 6, then should we get past an away trip probably in Melb or Brissy we would prob face smurfs in a semi final.

And there is your 80k at ANZ Gallop....

The finals is when Popa's master plan will become clear. We've spent the whole season practising for draws and every training session has been penalty shootout practice.

we drew every knockout stage in the ACL when we won it - i think you're onto something!

Just when I started to feel more confident about the rest of the season we concede two laughable goals in Brisbane.

But still: we have a new goal keeper, a seemingly re-born Cornflakes, added a quality midfielder and a seasoned striker. Our home grown players have improved and are pushing imports out of the starting IX or even off the bench. That is a very different team that started the year against Perth.

If we switch off the errors at the back and are more ruthless up front we'll be a handful. Ten more rounds to go, 30 points to play for. What can possibly go wrong?

"... out of the starting IX ..." - no wonder we've been struggling to win matches!!

Probably 1 of the more positive/hopeful posts I've seen from you in awhile FCB! 

Hahaha. It comes with age.

I get a sense that we now have the team/squad we should have had four months ago.

Our season starts now :-)

Our path to the finals

04-Feb - Round 18 v Nix (Away)

12-Feb - Round 19 v CCM (Home Sunday 5.00pm)

18-Feb - Round 20 v Smurfs (ANZ)

21 Feb - ACL G1 v Urawa (Home)

25-Feb - Round 21 v Perth (away)

28-Feb - ACL G2 v Qualifier (away)

04-Feb - Round 22 v Adelaide (Home)

15-Mar - ACL G3 v FC Seoul (away)

19-Mar - Round 23 v Nix (Home) NZ and Fiji have OFC qualifiers

24-Mar - Round 24 v Vi$ion (Home) Potential absentees Cahill and Franjic?

01-Apr - Round 25 v Jets (Away)

08-Apr - Round 26 v Tards (ANZ)

11-Apr - ACL G4 v FC Seoul

15-Apr - Round 27 v Adelaide (Away)

I can see us potentially winning 2 of those remaining home games. 

we drew every knockout stage in the ACL when we won it - i think you're onto something!

Don't forget Portugal.

We beat FC Seoul and Al-Hilal on aggregate. Unless you are referring to individual ties, in which case there were no draws against either Sanfrecce or Guangzhou.

Gonna be real interesting to see how we juggle the schedule if we win a few league game soon. For example say after Round 26 we need a win to guarantee a place in the 6, but we also need a win in the ACL, do we rest players for that since it's not a 'knockout'?

Either way, how good is the ACL??? It means we have 16 more games left this year even if we don't make the finals. That's still more games than a team that will win the GF!

Shame we're not going to be in it next year...probably.

So what do we think now? 2 points ahead of Wellington 3 ahead of Jets.

On the plus side we have 3 home games out of 5

Wellington have 2 and Jets 1

On the negative side, we haven't won at spotless all year so it doesn't really give us an advantage

Stating the obvious beat Wellington and Jets and we should scrape in to finals

So what do we think now? 2 points ahead of Wellington 3 ahead of Jets.

On the plus side we have 3 home games out of 5

Wellington have 2 and Jets 1

On the negative side, we haven't won at spotless all year so it doesn't really give us an advantage

Stating the obvious beat Wellington and Jets and we should scrape in to finals

Win and a draw against the Nix and Jets will just about see us home I think. Prob is I think the game against the Jets will be a  hard one, they will be really up for that and have played some decent stuff at times this year. 

Looks a little brighter

Vi$ion could lose to us, the smurfs, draw with Adelaide and then draw with perth away 38 points.

Roar draw with Vics, CCM, perth and the nix 36 points.

Perth lose to the smurfs, draw with Adelaide, Roar, Vi$ion 35 pts

WSW 4 wins or 3 wins (40 pts) 3rd and a draw (38 pts) 4th

This would result in a home elimination final. From 4th assuming a win, we would play a semi-final against the smurfs.

So, do we want 6th spot or 5th spot? Looks like we have a chance to overtake Perth (just 1 point ahead and equal on goal diff).

If we stay in 6th it means we play City away in the first final, and assuming we win that we would play the Smurfs in a semi final derby where anything can happen.

If we get to fifth place, we play Brisbane away, and assuming we win then then we travel to Melbourne to play Victory in the semi at their home turf.

Staying in 6th spot appears to give us a better chance of making the Grand Final compared to being in 5th place.

Thoughts?

If we finish 5th and win our first game we would still play Sydney unless the 6th placed team also won away.