Derby Draw Drops Wanderers To 8th

back 4 excellent defensively did very good job tracking the runners which is how sydney has been opening up defences.

agree with mack though on our attacking approach - aimless sideways and backwards passing to switch point of attack but doing it at such a glacial pace that we are always facing a massed, well set up defence. we simply don't have the technical ability in our team to break oppositions down in this way. If this is the personnel we have for the rest of the season we have to play more direct and try to take advantage of sotirio's pace (he was the only one making forward attacking runs last night), have wingers who actually play wide and get the centre mids to play early balls wide instead of waiting forever for the fullbacks to join.

what we are trying to do at the moment just doesn't work with the players that we have.

Not surprising that Peter Green misses a penalty call against us. When it comes to reffing our games, he always has made a habit of making calls against us.

- The 2013 GF against CCM

- The game against Victory in S2 where he cost us 3 pts 

- The 2014 GF against Roar, he was a hometown ref and most of the calls went Roar way

- Our match against City at home this season

- Now the derby where he missed an obvious penalty

As for the game

Pros:

- Vedrans GKing was solid

- Cornflakes and Aspro CB seems more solid and assured and I felt more comfortable with Cornflakes over Borda

- Our defending was scrappy but we did enough to cover the defence

- Martinez didn't have his best game but his runs through the middle is Messi like and caused problems for the Smurfs

- Sotirio actually had a good game

- Scott did ok, was very unlucky not to score with this header.

Cons:

- Someone asked me last night at halftime, does Popa have any interest in his team to score goals or does he just want his team to pass the ball around to keep the ball as oppose to shooting for goal?

- Smurfs sat deep, they knew what our plays were going to be and it was frustrating with the amount of times they were able to intercept balls from us and go on the counter

- Jumpei   was easily out muscled

- Peter Green

- Misplacing our passes in crucial position

- We need to sign a striker asap. This whole season has shown what happens when we dont have a striker 

FFA preparing the next fine for Popa?

Arnold officially joining the ranks of the blind men.

---

"I'm getting sick of talking about it," Popovic said.

"It's a penalty, it doesn't get clearer than that.

"Teams are getting affected every week, sometimes the linesmen get involved to help the referee and sometimes they don't.

"If you miss the handball - I don't understand how you can miss it - but let's say they miss it, how it's not a corner is just hard to understand.

"The deflection was so clear (but) the linesman or the referee decides there's not a deflection and it's not a penalty.

"It's a tight game, it's a derby, and that changes the game - they're the moments.

"Unfortunately we're seeing far too much of it and it's certainly happening to us quite regularly."

Naturally, Sydney coach Graham Arnold did not think the incident warranted a penalty, arguing Zullo's back was to the ball and his arm tucked in.

Onto the game:

Second half we were a lot better - not sure what happened, but I think ESFC were told to back off and go for counter attacks? That'd make sense because Martinez only had time and space to receive the ball, turn, and then run at them in the second half. In the first half, they were very compact and they were pressing. And if that instruction is true, it almost backfired for them badly.

On the topic of crossing, I can see why the players didn't - I noticed we are a fan of the early diagonal cross when the defence isn't set, but I think when the defence is set, I felt we should've just tried to play for a corner, keep up the pressure, instead of passing it back to the defence.

our corners and set pieces last night managed to limbo under the very low bar we have set so far this season. fmd they were bad.

credit to stringer last night for summing my feelings up - 'for once I wasn't worried about missing anything when we turned around to do the posnan because we had a corner' haha

at training we just need to paint a big target on cornthwaite's forehead and look up how to say '******* hit that' to dimas in spanish.

Onto the game:

Second half we were a lot better - not sure what happened, but I think ESFC were told to back off and go for counter attacks? That'd make sense because Martinez only had time and space to receive the ball, turn, and then run at them in the second half. In the first half, they were very compact and they were pressing. And if that instruction is true, it almost backfired for them badly.

On the topic of crossing, I can see why the players didn't - I noticed we are a fan of the early diagonal cross when the defence isn't set, but I think when the defence is set, I felt we should've just tried to play for a corner, keep up the pressure, instead of passing it back to the defence.

Prob was.. when we didnt cut it back and we did go for an early cross Clisby **** it up time after time. Mitch nearly ******* went for him at one point when there was a simple pass to his feet in the area that would have surely allow a shot on target from Mitch, he was ******* livid.

our corners and set pieces last night managed to limbo under the very low bar we have set so far this season. fmd they were bad.

credit to stringer last night for summing my feelings up - 'for once I wasn't worried about missing anything when we turned around to do the posnan because we had a corner' haha

at training we just need to paint a big target on cornthwaite's forehead and look up how to say '******* hit that' to dimas in spanish.

Ah yes

I totally forgot about our set pieces and how **** they were last night.

back 4 excellent defensively did very good job tracking the runners which is how sydney has been opening up defences.

agree with mack though on our attacking approach - aimless sideways and backwards passing to switch point of attack but doing it at such a glacial pace that we are always facing a massed, well set up defence. we simply don't have the technical ability in our team to break oppositions down in this way. If this is the personnel we have for the rest of the season we have to play more direct and try to take advantage of sotirio's pace (he was the only one making forward attacking runs last night), have wingers who actually play wide and get the centre mids to play early balls wide instead of waiting forever for the fullbacks to join.

what we are trying to do at the moment just doesn't work with the players that we have.

I like your last sentence (2nd para) about fullbacks joining in too late in the attack. Not only that, but their crosses are also woeful. We tend to play a lot of our players in that narrow corridor in the middle of the field (4-3-2-1 will do that to you). Therefore our full backs are our wingers essentially. Other teams simply read us by congesting the middle of the field.

Surely the front 3 behind the striker should be spreading out more with then one of our defensive mids joining in more as an attacking type player combining with our number 10 (who should be Nico).

Edited by WestSyd

Arnie now saying that we played our best, they didn't, and they got the point lol.

Seems his team isn't that good after all. Tactically we played it beautifully last night. If they were happy to settle for a draw with us fielding a 19 yo striker, then that is a huge compliment to us.

He must be a **** coach if he can't get his team to lift for a derby...

I'll be interested to see how Cornthwaite pulls up after the game. In the second half he was grabbing his hamstring a few times and trying to stretch it out. I don't know whether he ran out of steam or he was too worried about the hammy but to get subbed off for Hamill with a couple of minutes to go was strange.

Naturally, Sydney coach Graham Arnold did not think the incident warranted a penalty, arguing Zullo's back was to the ball and his arm tucked in.

Tucked in :rofl:

If you turn your back it doesn't mean a thing Arnold you ******* muppet

I say this every week, smurfs been getting "rub of the green" decisions like this every game. Yes they are probably top 3 but it certainly helps turning a draw into a win. Each week.

Arnie now saying that we played our best, they didn't, and they got the point lol.

Seems his team isn't that good after all. Tactically we played it beautifully last night. If they were happy to settle for a draw with us fielding a 19 yo striker, then that is a huge compliment to us.

No Arnold for the first time this season we put together a full 90 minute performance. We have been playing well for periods but not a whole game.

Also, I'm sorry but having a keeper like Vedran makes all the difference at the end of the day. Pulls off good saves & commands his box, makes a big difference at the end of the day. Can play solid each week but a class keeper makes a big difference at the end of the day.

Zullo's hand was away from his body. If it was tucked in then it wouldn't have hit his arm because he turned his back. He didn't mean to but his arm still stopped the flight of the ball.

From the RBB I couldn't tell it was a handball but it was definitely clear that it was a corner. If I can see it from 70m away with people standing in front of me, how come 2 officials within 15m can't?

That decision is all on the referee. AR is watching offside & the contact was made on the blindside. No way he could have seen it.

That was all on Peter Green, perfect position to see it too. Maybe a player was blocking his view? Anyone got a clip of it? Preferably not a Foxsports clip? Please post in referees thread

Contain control crush is the plan ,and  we did contain and control them and with the ref  and linesman unable to rule against there prematch instructions a clear pen being the proper call gets let go ..stick together wanderers fans as one unite behind our teams and endure while our young players grow ,For Popa is in my book a very gifted manager hell bent on growing our club in every area If everyone could invite just one or two friends to our games gee our club would be thankful and your friend mite enjoy the family atmosphere and realize what they have been missing out on and they would like feel the belonging to our club we all crave for, We all have an important role to play so stick together and we will come thru this challenge together stronger and united and lift the club to new levels never seen before 

what the wanderers 

:rofl:

Have seen some smurfs gloating on social media that we are celebrating the draw, huh?

Happy with the point but I don't see any of us celebrating or going mental that we drew. No idea.

I'm celebrating a clean sheet :P

Also, iirc, Martinez took a corner around the 80th minute - how did that go? Was the delivery good? I was Poznan-ing

2 weeks in a row Cornthwaite has had a good game. Seems being dropped has fired him up.

Only injury/suspension will give Borda his place back.

We need a striker, right now.

During the 2nd half I kept asking those around me "are the cove even here? Obviously they only sing when they score/winning"

Seriously that was their worst performance. For a team coming first they were dead silent for the entire 2nd half.

Green bottled it, simples.  He is in perfect position, he is looking directly at it, and he bottled it, hence the reason for the goalkick and not the corner kick. Simple match awareness will tell you, when a bloke has a shot at goal and the ball is rising, if the ball trajectory suddenly drops and it bounce then it HAS TO HAVE HIT SOMETHING.  Funny it wasnt even his worst call of the night.  The foul on Sotirio at the edge of the box is a blatant foul, he is in perfect position, and he sees it and waves play away.  Once again he bottled it, as a foul there sees Grant get his second yellow.  That decision was just as bad and once again, just like the 2013GF he bottled it.

2 weeks in a row Cornthwaite has had a good game. Seems being dropped has fired him up.

During the 2nd half I kept asking those around me "are the cove even here? Obviously they only sing when they score/winning"

Seriously that was their worst performance. For a team coming first they were dead silent for the entire 2nd half.

All the effort from the Cove went in to the tifo and first 5 min, nothing left after that. They seemed to be expecting something, that is what a run of success against a team does to you, you wait for a goal that you expect. Every person that ******* idiot on the big screen interviewed in the crowed were like 'we are going to win this 4-0 again'. Those kinds of expectations can weigh heavy and the ESFC crowd were waiting for something that never came.

We were a half decent striker away from turning them over. If Santa was available we win, simple.

No striker comes in then season over, wont make the 6.

Edited by WSWBoro

That cove tifo :rofl:

They claim our existence depends on them and they do it by dedicating an entire derby tifo us, ignoring their own team.

Never change.

The squid picture was great.... looked like something out of cartoon network on fox.

It doesn't define us, being from Western Sydney defines us.

It really was bemusing, isn't Easts supposed to be the team for all of Sydney so how does it define a team based in Western Sydney for those that live in western sydney? Wow :lol;

Then the octopus, WTF? All I hear is that they have the best TIFO's, then they pull out that? :lol:

I can't see how they define us in any way whatsoever. We have our own success, our own shortcomings, we are defined by everything that they couldn't be, everything they are not. When the A-League started ESFC were there so why didn't I hear about the Wanderers, if they defined us?

As for that Octopus, it took me a good few minutes to figure out that those shite little banners were tentacles. It's one thing to have mostly 6 and 7 year old "ultras" but to have them start doing the artwork for the tifos is surely too much

Edited by PennoBoy

For the first time ever they outnumbered us and yet we were still louder than them.

Green bottled it, simples.  He is in perfect position, he is looking directly at it, and he bottled it, hence the reason for the goalkick and not the corner kick. Simple match awareness will tell you, when a bloke has a shot at goal and the ball is rising, if the ball trajectory suddenly drops and it bounce then it HAS TO HAVE HIT SOMETHING.  Funny it wasnt even his worst call of the night.  The foul on Sotirio at the edge of the box is a blatant foul, he is in perfect position, and he sees it and waves play away.  Once again he bottled it, as a foul there sees Grant get his second yellow.  That decision was just as bad and once again, just like the 2013GF he bottled it.

All the effort from the Cove went in to the tifo and first 5 min, nothing left after that. They seemed to be expecting something, that is what a run of success against a team does to you, you wait for a goal that you expect. Every person that ******* idiot on the big screen interviewed in the crowed were like 'we are going to win this 4-0 again'. Those kinds of expectations can weigh heavy and the ESFC crowd were waiting for something that never came.

We were a half decent striker away from turning them over.

Funny you say that a mate sent me a link from the cove forum where one cove member says "the cove was utter utter shite and downright embarrassing" hahahahahaha  http://sfcu.com.au/smf202/index.php?topic=22704.325

Edited by scarcev

Our crowd was higher than the BBL (40k vs 37k). Our crowd was 200 less than the last Allianz derby. In the end, they took dozens of us, where as they probably wpuld have hit 40 without us there. They take dozens of us, we took thousands of them. Such **** for trying to directly and cynically take us on. We clearly won that battle.

Oh, and their game was a complete dud that no-one will remember by Tuesday. We have talking points out of this that could go for weeks.

Edited by nmh94

We were a half decent striker away from turning them over.

Funny you say, that a mate sent me a link from the cove forum where one cove member says "the cove was utter utter shite and downright embarrassing" hahahahahaha  http://sfcu.com.au/smf202/index.php?topic=22704.325

Like I said, when you go so long without losing a derby game and you win some like 3 or 4 to zip then expectations can kill you, but then the Cove have never been able to go hard for 90 like the RBB, who were ******* outstanding last night by the way.