Western Sydney Stadium Construction (New Parramatta Stadium)

mack

7 hours ago, sasam said:

Will be interest ing to see how the RBB set up shop. Whether the capo will be on lower concourse and engaging the upper?

S

Probably better to be in the lower and the RBB spread across, it would look better on tv

30 minutes ago, mack said:

The RBB will be in the safe standing section. That's what it is there for.

I've heard that the RBB will be in the lower tier safe stranding with non specific "seat" allocations. Above them will be a seated allocation active area.

Loving three sides of the ground, just not feeling any love for corporate stand, don't know why, i understand sponsorship deals, necessary evil raising money etc, but still sticks in my blue collar craw.

i just got to understand and accept it's a community thing as well, family area, disabled access, we cant all get up and down steep walkways.

21 minutes ago, mack said:

The alternative is having a ring of corporate boxes around the entire stadium, with a lower capacity because of the infrastructure requirements of building the stadium that way.

I would of preferred the corporates section to go all around the stadium at ground level, then have the terraces all the way round on top of them.

It is what it is, though it will be far better than either Spottless or ANZ.

Edited by sonar
17 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

The corporate side is definitely going to be the "quiet side" of the stadium - simply due to the small capacity and mostly being full of latte lickers and champagne sippers. 

The other 3 sides will make up for it though. No doubt.

Yes,  if they don't generate any sound, hopefully the rest of use will generate enough sound to bounce off their fancy corporate boxes!  :clapping: :wanderturtle::clapping:

:xnod:

21 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The stadium was built around cost not design or aesthetics. They've gone for maximum bang for its buck & I think it's a sacrifice we are all willing to make.

Agreed but I do hope they do something with the exterior of the stadium, i don't want just bare concrete.

1 hour ago, wengerboy said:

Agreed but I do hope they do something with the exterior of the stadium, i don't want just bare concrete.

The RBB corner facing O'Connell street will probably still have the big LED screens around the outside. The rest will be either bare or some kind of drop down canvas to cover up the frameworks. They can't do anything fancy because of the heritage views from the Governors house and other colonial parts of the park.

The cost cutting is what the cost cutting is, and greater capacity is the most important thing. But I still wish my vision of a gateway at one corner that offered views into the stadium from a plaza area on o'Connell st was realised.  The idea of people crowding around it for important matches when it was sold out.... or even just people walking past and having a look.....sigh. 

4 hours ago, wengerboy said:

Seem to remember having a dip in the pool a while back, couple of trees and wire fence and demount able cabins was all that obscured the cement back then.

But i agree surely some thing cost effective and bit more pleasing to the eye can be arranged, keep harking back to the video, wonder if that vision will be the final appearance or other externals are being considered, i realise cost is the final arbitrator but get it right the first time also should apply, build and finish something right the first time, not shoulda coulda later.

5 hours ago, mack said:

The RBB corner facing O'Connell street will probably still have the big LED screens around the outside. The rest will be either bare or some kind of drop down canvas to cover up the frameworks. They can't do anything fancy because of the heritage views from the Governors house and other colonial parts of the park.

I was hoping for an LED light display all the way around (not a LCD screen). I remember it being discussed early on but can't remember the plans?

Edited by Prydzopolis
18 hours ago, mack said:

There's nothing about any LED light displays in the design document. It's probably a combination of cost required for something with no real impact on the stadium itself and "visual amenity" with the park.

They’ll probably go with colored lights similar to what they use down at AAMI stadium 

The first thing you notice when you are introduced to the artist formerly known as Parramatta Stadium is how steep the seating is.

The playing field is sunk seven metres below ground level, and rising out of that is 30,000 seats at a 34-degree angle. That is the steepest in the world and more than Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium, which is considered the best rectangular stadium in the country despite it being most often filled with Queenslanders.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/a-game-changer-an-exclusive-first-look-inside-western-sydney-stadium-20180614-p4zlg3.html

The playing field is 7 metres below ground, was that outlined in the construction design? 

3 hours ago, FCWanderers said:

The first thing you notice when you are introduced to the artist formerly known as Parramatta Stadium is how steep the seating is.

The playing field is sunk seven metres below ground level, and rising out of that is 30,000 seats at a 34-degree angle. That is the steepest in the world and more than Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium, which is considered the best rectangular stadium in the country despite it being most often filled with Queenslanders.

:shok: I highly doubt that.

12 hours ago, FCWanderers said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/a-game-changer-an-exclusive-first-look-inside-western-sydney-stadium-20180614-p4zlg3.html

The playing field is 7 metres below ground, was that outlined in the construction design? 

No the playing field is not 7 metres below ground. I spoke with some of the contractors on the 'Fan Day / WSS open day' about this point just prior to Parra Stadium being knocked down. It was clear from early construction that they were right as the earthworks were built up (most be around 7 metres) and structures built on top of the concrete laid at the top of the sides of the stadium. Hence field level is not 'below ground' as such, everything else is built up around it.

not sure where he got 7 meters underground from. 7 meters is 22 feet lol, 4 tall people stacked on top of each other. Almost the entire length of a penalty box.

The concourse level is 5.55 meters from the service level which is roughly pitch level. Maybe there's another two meters from the pitch/service level to the actual ground outside, although I can't find anything in the design document though that says that and he's combined that with the concourse height and got 7.

• mack locked this topic