Jump to content
mack

Western Sydney Stadium Construction (New Parramatta Stadium)

Recommended Posts

The big stadium design document includes pictures of what the new stadium will look like from certain important/heritage viewpoints. eg the Government house view:

Capture.thumb.JPG.8764a7e594d3b9883070f06085f4f0f3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

2 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

Just looking at that latest pic, imagining all the people sitting on seats, they would easily fit the space left under the stand, that is a massive space surely something is being proposed to go there, even if it's another concourse with vending stations or extra toilets, something, anything and then clad it off.

Just looks unfinished with cement and stanchions.

It's not finished. Under the stands are all the facilities. They've only just been started working on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

goodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mack said:

The big stadium design document includes pictures of what the new stadium will look like from certain important/heritage viewpoints. eg the Government house view:

Capture.thumb.JPG.8764a7e594d3b9883070f06085f4f0f3.JPG

Come on, that’s a complete joke. It’s only on game day it would the lights be on, once/twice a week. I understand not building on protected land but it’s taking it too far. The fact they play AFL so close to the stadium should have been another thing they should have taken into account as a “eyesore or blight” on impact to Parramatta park ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2018 at 8:36 AM, Prydzopolis said:

Come on, that’s a complete joke. It’s only on game day it would the lights be on, once/twice a week. I understand not building on protected land but it’s taking it too far. The fact they play AFL so close to the stadium should have been another thing they should have taken into account as a “eyesore or blight” on impact to Parramatta park ^_^

My problem with the pictures is that they don't account for the additional height of the trees when the stadium opens

Like they're trees, they'll grow taller - it's not a fence FFS :nono:

(unless they like, you know, trim them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

(unless they like, you know, trim them)

It’s all protected, you can’t touch them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2018 at 4:31 PM, Wanderboy said:

FFS, it's not like it's going to be showing porn.

Some of those ABJ passes to Biscuit will prove to be very sexual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m all for preserving heritage sites but that’s on the actual site itself. It’s hilarious how they’re worried about the view of the stadium from the old government house yet if you turn yourself 45 deg all you can see is a concrete jungle CBD. The same CBD including that new apartment building along the river (Meriton is it?) that can be seen clear as day from parts of the Hills Shire it’s that stupidly big... 

Makes you then wonder how developers got a DA approved to build a big commercial and residential tower plonked on top of the Roxy, provided they restore it... what’s the point of heritage listing it then?

The development process, approval and heritage preservation system in this city is so dodgy and inconsistent it’s not funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And don’t forget either how happy they are to knock down the Royal Oak, which to my knowledge is one of the oldest pubs in Sydney, to build a light rail line that will probably get ripped up one day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hughsey said:

I’m all for preserving heritage sites but that’s on the actual site itself. It’s hilarious how they’re worried about the view of the stadium from the old government house yet if you turn yourself 45 deg all you can see is a concrete jungle CBD. The same CBD including that new apartment building along the river (Meriton is it?) that can be seen clear as day from parts of the Hills Shire it’s that stupidly big... 

Makes you then wonder how developers got a DA approved to build a big commercial and residential tower plonked on top of the Roxy, provided they restore it... what’s the point of heritage listing it then?

The development process, approval and heritage preservation system in this city is so dodgy and inconsistent it’s not funny.

The OGH and the Domain grounds are on the World Heritage List and being immediately adjacent to the site the Stadium has controls over it while the city is removed from the site and hence there are no controls over it as far as effect on the World Heritage is concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hughsey said:

I’m all for preserving heritage sites but that’s on the actual site itself. It’s hilarious how they’re worried about the view of the stadium from the old government house yet if you turn yourself 45 deg all you can see is a concrete jungle CBD. The same CBD including that new apartment building along the river (Meriton is it?) that can be seen clear as day from parts of the Hills Shire it’s that stupidly big... 

Makes you then wonder how developers got a DA approved to build a big commercial and residential tower plonked on top of the Roxy, provided they restore it... what’s the point of heritage listing it then?

The development process, approval and heritage preservation system in this city is so dodgy and inconsistent it’s not funny.

I couldn't agree more with most of your statement. The development over the Roxy has been challenged and may not go ahead. A small group of "Roxy Lovers" have challenged the development. Just like the small group of Parramatta Pool people did. Funnily enough, the PP people are going to get a far superior facility than what they had before. Just like the Roxy people will f the development goes ahead. Yet, the old farts are never happy. They always need to find something to complain about so they can still live in the ******* 60's.

I'm certainly not anti heritage, or pro "knock everything down", but it just shits me to tears when I see photos like what Mack posted above re the views from Government house, and the absolutely stupid controls that come into play when a couple of lefties whine about a 200 year dead governor being upset by some 21st century LED's. **** off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree the rules for Parramatta Park seem rather ludicrous and overdone but disagree on the Roxy - the "restoration" with the tower behind basically is for the foyers and dress circle only - the original stalls are and stage will be sacrificed to enable the footings and structural support for the tower to be put in. Now this wouldn't be a bad outcome if the alternative was to simply knock the thing down; however, the state government is about to tip $100m into redeveloping the Parramatta Riverside theatre complex into a 1500 seat lyric theatre. The silly part about all of this is that for less than that, the council/state government could arrange a landswap for the Rpxy with the owner, bulldoze the carpark behind and fully restore the Roxy as lyric theatre and retain the Riverside for the shows that are already there. BTW I've already written to the planning minister and local member about the Royal Oak - was basically told it's not heritage so stuff it - ironic given the state government is happily knocking down other heritage buildings wherever it wants.......but I digress as this is the new stadium thread - sorry mods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It is going to be interesting to see how the roof joins hold up to a Sydney rainstorm.....well when we used to get heavy rain....not see that for a while.

 

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely the eels deserve to christen the stadium. 71 long hard years of history. We were here first. We'd also like to thank the Wanderers for jointly pushing for this stadium

Im hearing the seating will be in a mainly  dark blue and part gold color 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chief said:

Definitely the eels deserve to christen the stadium. 71 long hard years of history. We were here first. We'd also like to thank the Wanderers for jointly pushing for this stadium

Im hearing the seating will be in a mainly  dark blue and part gold color 

not first.............

1880 Football first officially played in NSW (Wanderers Vs Kings School) - organised by John Walter Fletcher. The first recorded soccer match in Australia was played on Parramatta Common in Sydney on the afternoon of Saturday 14 August 1880.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The seating will be definitely blue & Gold as I've spoken to a few parramatra insiders. The tradition continues 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chief said:

The seating will be definitely blue & Gold as I've spoken to a few parramatra insiders. The tradition continues 

Heard it was going to be grey seats............with a big blue and gold banner stretched across the upper tier east stand to cover all of the empty seats...

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The seating won't be blue and gold at all - it's not your stadium and you won't be naming the stands after players.

The state of these eels fans seriously give me a ******* break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will 100% be predominantly blue with speckles of gold seating. Just wait and see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the traditional Ray Price statue will be the first thing fans see as they walk up to the stadium's gates.  That's a given

Edited by Chief

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×