Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

8 hours ago, sonar said:

From the SMH.........If true this is gobsmacking idiocy.............a secret SGT Trust reports that the SFS could have been upgraded for $18M....

Allianz Stadium could have been upgraded to meet all safety standards for as little as $18 million, a secret report for the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust reveals.

https://outline.com/RMb7TF

I hope the link works.......lol

Allianz Stadium could have been upgraded to meet all safety standards for as little as $18 million, a secret report for the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust reveals.

The revelation will reignite the key election issue of stadiums for Labor leader Michael Daley as the campaign enters its final two days.

The report, prepared for the trust in May 2016, is in stark contrast to the Berejiklian government's claims that it would cost $714 million to ensure the venue met safety standards.

Rather than upgrading, the government decided to rebuild the Moore Park stadium for $729 million.

Demolition of the stadium, including ripping off the roof, is already under way, despite several attempts at legal action to stop it until after Saturday's election.

The report, by Asset Technologies Pacific and marked confidential, says Allianz Stadium could be upgraded to address "current non-compliance" for $18,153,800.

It goes on to say that Allianz would incur "minor non-compliance" issues with "each succeeding iteration of the standards, legislation and codes". But these could be easily fixed.

"These minor issues can be addressed through partial voluntary upgrades over the forthcoming 10-year period until such a time as the next major refurbishment is undertaken," the report says.

The report also says that a "critical remediation" of Allianz would cost $130 million but this would include "end of life issues" ranging from refurbishing "bathroom and public amenities" to repairing the trust's pool deck and change room and scoreboards.

Heavy equipment: demolition work gets under way at Allianz Stadium this week.

The $18 million figure includes "safety and compliance" requirements ($15.5 million) and security requirements ($3.8 million), the document shows.

Mr Daley said the report "exposes once and for all their entire case for the stadium splurge to be nothing more than a sham".

“Instead they wanted a gold plated stadium. What a disgrace," he said.

Sports Minister Stuart Ayres, whose portfolio oversees the stadium and the trust, said Infrastructure NSW found that a complete rebuild of Allianz was better value for taxpayers than a refurbishment.

"This report was produced in accordance with the Legislative Council call for papers in 2018. It was then considered as part of the Upper House Public Works Committee into stadia. That committee concluded that there were significant safety and security breaches at the facility," he said.

"They recommended the full redevelopment of Sydney Football Stadium. [Labor MP] Lynda Voltz was a member of that committee.

NSW Labor leader Michael Daley has campaigned hard on not overspending on upgrading stadiums.CREDIT:LOUISE KENNERLEY

"After an exhaustive and detailed process Infrastructure NSW (INSW) valued a refurbishment of the SFS at $714.5 million and a rebuild at $729 million. INSW also identified the option to rebuild provided better value to the taxpayer than a refurbishment."

Mr Daley stepped up his attack on the government's decision to rebuild Allianz, when he told Alan Jones earlier this month that he would sack the broadcaster and the majority of the trust board if elected.

But this week, the focus on stadiums was overtaken as Mr Daley was dogged with questions about preference deals and comments he made about Asian students.

7 minutes ago, T1m said:

18 million would not be fixing every issue with the stadium.  Only bits and bobs

The article states that as well. A total refurb was $130m....a lot less than $740m.

.....""The report also says that a "critical remediation" of Allianz would cost $130 million but this would include "end of life issues" ranging from refurbishing "bathroom and public amenities" to repairing the trust's pool deck and change room and scoreboards.   ".......

Edited by sonar
2 hours ago, sonar said:

The article states that as well. A total refurb was $130m....a lot less than $740m.

.....""The report also says that a "critical remediation" of Allianz would cost $130 million but this would include "end of life issues" ranging from refurbishing "bathroom and public amenities" to repairing the trust's pool deck and change room and scoreboards.   ".......

The trust's pool deck? I hope they make it enclosed so no one has to look at crusty old men sunning themselves.

****s

Doesn't matter whether it was $18 million or $180 million, whether it's for critical, current, end-of-life or whatever the story is re the refurb vs knock down arguments.

The SCG Trust is a state government body with a group of board members who have consistently and continually deflected, distracted and failed to meet the basic duty of care that they have to all of in NSW, in managing the resource in the safest and least expensive manner possible. This is borne out in their decision to install a huge jumbotron screen with its attendant multi-million $ cost when they were supposed to be focused on meeting the compliance issues that they themselves, through their most vituperative & rabid member & advocate, Alan Jones, have argued for. Furthermore, their arguments have been built on fallacious and egregiously insulting comparisons between the SFS and Hillsborough.

How can anyone take their viewpoint on the SFS demolition seriously, or ignore the political implications of why they have been arguing for what they are getting seriously in light of their past management and posturing? As for the work of Stuart 'AJ's Rectum is on my Tongue' Ayres, he is still to demonstrate how a new SFS will get us the new world events we weren't getting because of what we have at Moore Park now. If that prick believes FIFA will give us a world cup because of a new SFS he is even thicker than the FFA were in 2010.

And remember...this SCG Trust is the same mob who undoubtedly facilitated, if not leaked, via Boozy Becs the names and details of those members and fans of our club and others that were banned. It seems somewhat naive if not hypocritical to believe in the Trust on this issue, when they have shown they are a self-seeking bunch of Tory karnts, willing to sacrifice anyone that doesn't tow their line.

1 minute ago, Prydzopolis said:

Nail. On. Head. Well said Manfred :good:

Absolute joke of a decision, watch them knock it down quicker to make sure rebuild is the only option :acute:

Thanks mate

And as for those arguments about 'We can spend hundreds of millions on a new stadium AND on education, health etc all at the same time', well that's bullshit. I watched the current state government butcher public TAFE, closing campuses, sacking teachers, raising fees and diverting subsidies into the pockets of private RTOs (many who are shonks). I've been in demountable classrooms where kids don't have access to tech, where the student/teacher ratio is blown out to buggery, where staff are warned that if it gets hot there may be brown outs. I've seen country towns lose things we take for granted here in the city.

This government can't walk, talk and chew gum at the same time. The SFS demolition & rebuild is an example of 'panem et circenses' that is aimed at satisfying the egos and greed of the big end of town first & foremost, making sure that Alan Jones et al get what they want.

18 minutes ago, matty said:

Too much politics but good points on the stadium 👍

You can't separate the politics from the stadium and vice versa.

After all, every stadium ever built has at some point been developed for or is part of a political construct. The Flavian Ampitheatre was constructed so as to ensure that those that lived in Rome were provided with a focus point/venue for mass entertainment whilst Vespasian and Titus saw it as a means to popularise and consolidate their prestige and power after they defeated Vitellius. The Berlin Olympic stadium was built so as to ensure that the Nazi regime could point to a structure that glorified their construct of Germany re-emerging from the destructive effects of the Versaiiles peace treaty and the Great Depression. The Montreal Olympic stadium was constructed as it was as part of the then mayor Jean Drapeau's desire to push the separateness and power of Quebecoise Montreal.

Stadium politics are rarely just about the sport or sports they host, nor can then be treated in isolation, apart from other aspects of the relevant polity. The core political problems with the SFS is that the current state government has not displayed enough independence from the SCG Trust, with many of its members either being partisan ex-Liberal party members, supporters of the government or conservative media types, and that far more people are engaged with the current NSW problems of health, education, transport, the environment etc than those who are pro-demolition.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Two days before election day and the ever reliable, totally independent SMH releases a report which will embarrass the current government.  Now, there's a surprise!  Isn't this the same party which has given us our new stadium?  Perhaps the critics would also have preferred this to have been another bandaid job.

50 minutes ago, Harv said:

Two days before election day and the ever reliable, totally independent SMH releases a report which will embarrass the current government.  Now, there's a surprise!  Isn't this the same party which has given us our new stadium?  Perhaps the critics would also have preferred this to have been another bandaid job.

And that same paper had an editorial that advocated the return of the current government. Shame that bit of information failed to register in your scrutiny of the SMH.

As for our new stadium, last time I looked it didn't cost $740 million, wasn't run by the SCG trust and was only opposed by those who were aggrieved by the displacement of Parra pool. And unlike the SFS no one boasted about the venue being needed to help attract world class events, or was was needed to avoid another Hillsborough.

1 hour ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

And that same paper had an editorial that advocated the return of the current government. Shame that bit of information failed to register in your scrutiny of the SMH.

As for our new stadium, last time I looked it didn't cost $740 million, wasn't run by the SCG trust and was only opposed by those who were aggrieved by the displacement of Parra pool. And unlike the SFS no one boasted about the venue being needed to help attract world class events, or was was needed to avoid another Hillsborough.

I would have thought a world class stadium for a city the size of Sydney, coupled with safety features which would avoid another Hillsborough would be two excellent reasons for building such a stadium.

12 minutes ago, Harv said:

I would have thought a world class stadium for a city the size of Sydney, coupled with safety features which would avoid another Hillsborough would be two excellent reasons for building such a stadium.

But only in the geographical centre of Sydney. Not in f***** Eastern Suburbs.

1 hour ago, Harv said:

Lol

Yeah, let's use the bullshit lies that Alan Jones spread about the (lack of any) connection between a stadium built after Hillsborough, that took into consideration lessons learnt from that disaster, as a reason to justify its 'safety' concerns, whilst AJ & his board mates pissed away millions on jumbo screens as a justification for a total demolition.

7 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

Changing the topic slightly.....apparently GWS have managed to get wealthy members to stump up for the naming rights for the Soulless Showground. It will be called Giants Stadium. FFS. And they claim to have 27000 members.....seriously....

Their member numbers include any 6 - 10 year old in primary schools that have had the unfortunate displeasure of having a sherrin forced into his/her hands at a school visit by one of the players.

In other words, their membership numbers are bullshit.

Yeah don’t get me started. I had a minor altercation with a AFL type during the week. A Giants supporter. He started trying to justify Soulless government contributions by saying AFL put in $50m which is crap. Then I asked about the joke ground at Blacktown which is barely if at all used by AFL now and council and state govt stumped up millions for it, yet our local hockey club can’t get them to build two field pitches for less than $300,000. He said it is used by Giants yet I’m sure it’s not. The hockey club have to travel to flippin’ Pennant Hills, Kuringai and Ryde coz of Blacktown councils recalcitrance....but if you’re the AFL they’ll bend over backwards. 

23 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

Yeah don’t get me started. I had a minor altercation with a AFL type during the week. A Giants supporter. He started trying to justify Soulless government contributions by saying AFL put in $50m which is crap. Then I asked about the joke ground at Blacktown which is barely if at all used by AFL now and council and state govt stumped up millions for it, yet our local hockey club can’t get them to build two field pitches for less than $300,000. He said it is used by Giants yet I’m sure it’s not. The hockey club have to travel to flippin’ Pennant Hills, Kuringai and Ryde coz of Blacktown councils recalcitrance....but if you’re the AFL they’ll bend over backwards. 

They might play one pre season trial game there a season, and a few AFLW games, and that's it. Total scam by the AFL to get these facilities built with tax and rate payers dollars and then pretty much totally abandon them as soon as they could. 

Don't forget, GWS was gifted the old golf driving range at Olympic Park which is now their major training headquarters and centre of excellence. That site would have been worth millions. Blacktown was two far west for them. Cnuts.

Edited by Wanderboy
2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

They might play one pre season trial game there a season, and a few AFLW games, and that's it. Total scam by the AFL to get these facilities built with tax and rate payers dollars and then pretty much totally abandon them as soon as they could. 

Don't forget, GWS was gifted the old golf driving range at Olympic Park which is now their major training headquarters and centre of excellence. That site would have been worth millions. Blacktown was two far west for them. Cnuts.

And they will want the NSW Govt, whoever it is to put bigger stands to increase the capacity of, and forever remain, Souless Stadium !

6 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

And they will want the NSW Govt, whoever it is to put bigger stands to increase the capacity of, and forever remain, Souless Stadium !

Thank god we are done with that **** hole.

Having 1000 consecutive showers still wouldn't cleanse me properly from how dirty I always felt when I walked out of that joint.

Edited by Wanderboy
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic