Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

They complain and whine, we don't, that's the difference.

Yeah, no complaints or whining here. Never heard a bad word about the SOP move...

Follow the conversation lol.

The context is clubs respective administrations to government not fans on an Internet forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Allianz stadium scheduled games to World Cup Qualifier.

http://m.austadiums.com/stadium_events.php?id=9

Its criminal if the FFA don't have anything in the stadium deal regarding the playing surface or events leading up to the Socceroos.

A sub-standard playing surface can actually hurt our chances and if nothing else, the attractiveness of the game and therefore football in general.

Having two rugby matches on that pitch, just days before our national team play football on it is ridiculous and the blame lies with the FFA. Incompetent.

Its criminal if the FFA don't have anything in the stadium deal regarding the playing surface or events leading up to the Socceroos.

A sub-standard playing surface can actually hurt our chances and if nothing else, the attractiveness of the game and therefore football in general.

Having two rugby matches on that pitch, just days before our national team play football on it is ridiculous and the blame lies with the FFA. Incompetent.

FFA, if they had the balls, would stipulate that no events are to be held 1-2 weeks prior to the match. If a venue can't guarantee it then don't play there. Take the game to other non-Sydney/Melbourne centres if need be. If Hindmarsh is the only venue available, do it. If it's Gosford, do it.

FFA, if they had the balls, would stipulate that no events are to be held 1-2 weeks prior to the match. If a venue can't guarantee it then don't play there. Take the game to other non-Sydney/Melbourne centres if need be. If Hindmarsh is the only venue available, do it. If it's Gosford, do it.

They should step in and help teams that pay ridiculous venue fees as well, by using the same negotiating strategy - "we're out of here if you don't come to the party". Moving teams to smaller boutique grounds wouldn't be such a bad thing anyway, if the venues decided to play chicken.

They should step in and help teams that pay ridiculous venue fees as well, by using the same negotiating strategy - "we're out of here if you don't come to the party". Moving teams to smaller boutique grounds wouldn't be such a bad thing anyway, if the venues decided to play chicken.
Can you imagine the Smurfs abandoning their "mansion" say for a boutique ground in their heartland like Kogarah?

The Lowys would stop them.

The only way to ensure that we have good pitches is for the clubs to own AND manage their grounds otherwise we are always playing 3rd fiddle behind NRL and Rugby Union.

Can you imagine the Smurfs abandoning their "mansion" say for a boutique ground in their heartland like Kogarah?

The Lowys would stop them.

I know, it's stupid isn't it. The stadium owners have all the leverage because they know the FFA will never abandon the big stadiums.

They don't even need to abandon them, just look like they are willing.

It's a catch-22 in a way. The stadiums, in most cases, get just as much revenue from football as they do from other codes. However, they also know the FFA aren't willing to push them to breaking point. The FFA will happily allow clubs to pay crazy fees. That said, I don't know what the differences are between what SFC and the Roosters & Waratahs pay to use Allianz. I do know the Roar get screwed over with Suncorp, as do most QLD venues if they don't have a massive crowd.

Sydney could move to Kogarah nice and easily. It's on a train line and doesn't have a regular tenant (the Dragons only use it a few times a year). They can move derbies to Allianz if they want to. Having a smaller venue with more of a say in the way things are run at each venue is a better way forward. I'd rather see 12,000 at Kogarah, looking packed, than 14,000 at Allianz. Create demand. Look at Seattle in the MLS. They could fill out the stadium, but choose to keep capacity capped (except for finals matches and the Cascadia Cup games).

It's interesting. As far as I understand, the FFA negotiates with State Governments for the rights to host Socceroos matches? Someone that knows what they're talking about can chime in here.

I wonder how it would all work if the FFA started stipulating the stadium they preferred and a one week lead up for the surface. Interesting to see if the States have any power over the boards that run the stadia.??

Generally speaking the NSW, Vic and to a lesser extent QLD govts bid for high profile games to pay FFA to play in the state. I'm not sure if that includes stadium rental.

It's just the 'hosting rights'. Doesn't include stadium deals. The state governments basically pay to host the party, but the FFA then find the venue.

Generally speaking the NSW, Vic and to a lesser extent QLD govts bid for high profile games to pay FFA to play in the state. I'm not sure if that includes stadium rental.

It's just the 'hosting rights'. Doesn't include stadium deals. The state governments basically pay to host the party, but the FFA then find the venue.

Seems to me the FFA should include guaranteed government assistance in getting the required stadium in the right condition as part of the negotiation process.

Seems to me the FFA should include guaranteed government assistance in getting the required stadium in the right condition as part of the negotiation process.

Absolutely! It's amazing there's no exclusivity at all considering the states are asking for these games, putting the FFA in a strong position.

Just goes to show they either don't care or don't understand the game.

Absolutely! It's amazing there's no exclusivity at all considering the states are asking for these games, putting the FFA in a strong position.

I believe that the Roar received some kind of discount on their stadium rental costs as a result of the FFA negotiating to have national team matches in Brisbane.

I don't know how effective it was for the Roar or how long the deal lasted.

I believe that the Roar received some kind of discount on their stadium rental costs as a result of the FFA negotiating to have national team matches in Brisbane.

I don't know how effective it was for the Roar or how long the deal lasted.

Ahh I didn't know that, good to hear.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading an article a few weeks back regarding the new Canberra stadium in Civic.

Ricky Stuart was talking about how the Raiders and Brumbies met with the ACT government about the new stadium and what they like, ACT government said that there will be no new stadium in Civic because they wanted to be used all year around and not only used for the NRL and Stupid Rugby seasons in winter. 

Thew new stadium would have gone ahead if FFA had ambitions of placing a team in Canberra but with Gallop being the stupid **** he is said it publicly there will be no Canberra team in the future with Gallop's announcement, ACT government pretty much made their decision on that there will be no new stadium for Canberra.

The estimated cost for the new stadium would have been $360m

ANd there are further talks that the AFL are lobbying ACT government to redevelop Manuka Oval

Here's one of the articles in question

http://www.northweststar.com.au/story/4553971/andrew-barr-back-flip-on-civic-stadium-set-to-crush-raiders-dreams/?cs=12

Plans for a new $350 million stadium in Civic appear doomed after ACT chief minister Andrew Barr revealed Canberra would need an A-League team to make the project viable.

The government continues to delay a decision on when or if the proposed stadium with a clear roof will be built as it foots the bill for the light rail project and Mr Fluffy clean-up.

But Barr's comments on Friday are a major backflip on his stance two years ago when he declared: "To limp on at Canberra Stadium is just not realistic."

ACT sport minister Yvette Berry told Fairfax Media on Wednesday the new stadium would be put on the backburner if the ACT Brumbies were axed from Super Rugby.

Barr said there was "no way" the stadium would be built if the Brumbies were cut from the competition given it would leave the Canberra Raiders as the capital's only professional sporting team.

But Barr threw another roadblock at the plans, saying Canberra needed an NRL, Super Rugby and A-League team before giving the project the green light.

It's a major blow to hopes of a new venue given Football Federation Australia has already said it would not expand into Canberra until the population reaches 1million.

Asked on Friday if a new stadium would be built if the Brumbies didn't exist, Barr said on ABC radio: "There's no way. I mean a new stadium really requires three teams to play out of it - Raiders, Brumbies and an A-League team in the summer to make it economically viable.

"If you're left with one team then, no, it's not viable at all. If the Brumbies no longer participate in Super Rugby and Canberra only has the Raiders as our only team then you would not build a brand new stadium to be used 11 times a year."

The FFA has ruled out expansion for the next two years and Canberra doesn't even have a bid to secure a licence.

The Central Coast Mariners played two A-League games in Canberra this season but it is unknown if they will return to the capital after crowds of just 5497 and 5072.

In 2014, Barr proposed a 20,000-seat stadium with the ability to scale up to 30,000 to host larger events like concerts.

"It's got to be the complete package at sport now. It's a combination of ticket prices, food and drinks and the fan experience when you're up against television coverage," Barr said.

"How bad does it have to get before people don't turn up? I don't think anyone is surprised that on our cold, rainy nights that crowds drop. A stadium in the CBD is the way to go, it's not just Canberra. Look at everywhere else that choice has been made to go to the city and it has worked."

Canberra Stadium was opened in 1977 and is at the end of its lifespan, with the Mal Meninga stand fast approaching its 50-year used-by date.

Canberra Raiders boss Allan Hawke weighed into the argument, saying a new stadium would be "a dream come true" for his NRL club.

The Raiders are still negotiating the details of a high-performance centre at Northbourne Oval and Hawke believes crowd numbers would swell at a new stadium.

"We would love to have a new stadium in the city ... for us it would be a dream come true," Hawke said.

"It would make life easier for everyone. It would make access to the ground and surrounding facilities easier for members and fans and it would certainly fit well with what we're planning to do at Northbourne Oval."

Fairfax Media contacted Barr's team on Friday but were told he was not available for comment and they did not know when he would next be free.

The story Andrew Barr back flip on Civic stadium set to crush Raiders' dreams first appeared on Brisbane Times.

Edited by SBW

The Canberra A-league team really should have it's own boutique, 12k to 15k sized stadium. I find it highly unlikely it will ever need 20k.

Canberra Stadium is too big. Yes, they might get 25k for a final or a big game for the Raiders or Brumbies--but, that is rare.

Something similar to Hindmarsh would be great. Down by the lake. Nice away trip too.

FFA just shits all over Canberra.

The current location of GIO Stadium is rubbish, it has no real venues near it and is a decent distance away from the city. It's also ancient as the article above suggests, and the design is really cavernous so that it feels like you're in a wind tunnel if it's a windy day.

Having a stadium in Civic makes perfect sense. I think it would significantly improve attendances and the overall matchday experience, but I can't blame the ACT Government for their current position on it. I blame Gallop/FFA and whoever chose the location for GIO Stadium all those years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

State Government to allocate $3.9m to Kardina Park Simonds Stadium Stage 5 - Ford, Ablett stands to go

Close to $200 million has already been spent on upgrading Kardinia Park since the stage one redevelopment of the Hickey Stand, which was opened in May 2006.

Funding has come from the AFL ($11.75 million), Geelong council ($16.5 million), Geelong Football Club ($18.13 million) and the Federal Government ($24 million), but the State Government has borne the financial brunt of the project by investing $121 million.

The Andrews Government is expected to look to Canberra to pull its weight for the stage five upgrade.

A local delegation, spearheaded by Geelong officials and members of the Kardinia Park Stadium­ Trust, met with a dozen politicians in Canberra in December 2016 to outline the case for funding, which could potentially another $90 million.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/national/state-government-to-allocate-39m-to-kardina-park-simonds-stadium-stage-5-ford-ablett-stands-to-go/news-story/034fc0fec44b837c247f814864155311

Along with the new stadium in Perth, this stadium in Geelong is the other stadium in Australia currently undergoing redevelopment in Australia. They will be looking to the Federal Government to fund most of the last stage of development.

Edited by FCWanderers

The Geelong upgrade has always been in the works, just being done in stages. Handled quite well down there. Shame it's a similarly bad shape to Spotless for football. Would much rather see a future HAL club there with their own ground... if we ever do expand.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic