Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

22 minutes ago, mack said:

I can't for the life of me figure out why a club supposedly backed by a billionaire land magnate would rather piss money up the wall on Campbelltown Stadium, and let his supporters throw money into Wests Leagues club than start his own actual club facility.

He wouldn't have to purchase land, to begin with. But agree that long term it would make more sense.

22 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

Yawn. Another competitor in the battle of the graphic designers. Scrap the tender process, let’s just hang a concept image of every bid’s imaginary stadium on a wall and let the shiniest two win. 

On 2/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, Carns said:

He wouldn't have to purchase land, to begin with. But agree that long term it would make more sense.

The deal the club is getting is a peppercorn rent for Campbelltown Stadium, lead tenant in a $26.5m training complex and supposedly Council, State and Fed contribution to a 5 year staged upgrade to the stadium making it an 18k all-seater and he wouldn't have to cover the maintenance costs of the stadium or establish a sinking fund for major maintenance and stadium replacement at the end of its 30 year design life.  Its way cheaper than owning a stadium himself.

5 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/final-farewell-to-stadium-that-has-to-go-20181004-p507rs.html

Invoking Hillsborough again ffs.

Hillsborough had wire fences around it (I was there) and as for Bradford it was a wooden grandstand.

Not only that, did you see who wrote the article?

Only this time he called himself Anthony instead of Tony. What a d**khead!!

The smurf forum reckons there's been a bit of a dodgy done by the winning bid (Cox). Populous who won our bid apparently entered basically Parramatta Stadium with a 3rd tier but Cox submitted a cheap cut price stadium that won't make them money, just so they could win the bid. Sounds like the new SFS could end up like the old one. Also didn't see anything about safe standing for the Cove :cheeky:

Have any designs actually been released or just the ******* pitch video?

I wonder what the people who designed stadiums did before pitch videos.

Like, did, they just walk into the room after months of being paid and talk rubbish in a dreamy voice? Or did they actually have to work on a proper design to win the contract?

The decision to replace Parramatta was made in Sept 2015. 4 designers were shortlisted in June 2016. The stadium was closed August 2016 with the design revealed & awarded in December 2016. Demolition was February 2017.

I believe the SFS is coming down in January/Feb next year after the New Year's cricket test match is over.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:07 PM, mack said:

The smurf forum reckons there's been a bit of a dodgy done by the winning bid (Cox). Populous who won our bid apparently entered basically Parramatta Stadium with a 3rd tier but Cox submitted a cheap cut price stadium that won't make them money, just so they could win the bid. Sounds like the new SFS could end up like the old one. Also didn't see anything about safe standing for the Cove :cheeky:

They probably didn’t request it if anything asked for padded seats for the 80 mins they don’t chant they can sit and relax 

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

They probably didn’t request it if anything asked for padded seats for the 80 mins they don’t chant they can sit and relax 

The Smurfs are pissed off that the SFS rebuild is basically a replica of the old one.

I smiled when I saw complaints that the new SFS looked the same as the existing one.  The only things that are the same is that it is roughly circular in plan, has a rectangular pitch and light blue seats.  The reason it is circular in plan is the limited length available on the site meaning they have to load more seats along the sides.

The new stadium has 2 equally loaded tiers right around the pitch instead of 1 with a third tier on each side of the pitch.  The sky box type structures at the ends have gone.  The bowl design improves sight lines and reduces viewing distances.  The vertical and horizontal circulation for the tiers is improved as is the external circulation and security between the internal and external circulation has been improved.  The extra tier all round the pitch alters the massing of the stadium and results in a different shape roof.  The structure of the roof is totally different and it is a lightweight roof with translucent covering with the roof covering immediately adjacent to the pitch being transparent which improves grass growth.  All seats are said to be covered although the images appear to show he front few rows might not be covered by the roof.  I haven't seen images of the corporate boxes but I expect they are significantly improved like the rest of the seating bowl is.  Back of house the accommodation is said to be much more extensive and of better quality for players, officials, corporates and fans.

Cox did the original design and they have been chosen to design the new stadium and its not surprising that the new design gives a nod to the old one in some respects but when finished the stadium will look quite different externally and the atmosphere should be much improved.

• 3 weeks later...

Only here because Westpac is Wellingtons home ground. 

Same problems over the ditch

You would get more at the stadium on days like this if undercover parking wasn't such a rip-off. But you don't think like that do you

. Your prices for food and beverage are a bloody disgrace and you wonder why people, especially families, don't turn up.

NZ is expensive in general so it must be bad if they’re complaining haha 

I’m surprised people are driving in the first place when their petrol is about $2.40/L...

In all seriousness though, what’s the end game with stadiums? Pricing people out of regular or enjoyable attendance does not seem like an effective strategy to me...

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic