Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Adelaide oval has retained its character...nice ground. 

I think I still have in my old clothes collection a t shirt signed by Desmond Haynes from a Test at the old Adelaide Oval.in 1993 when Aus lost by two runs . Great memories. Saw a few shield games there as well.It may be the city of churches and serial killers but they did a great job on the new oval.....lol

18 minutes ago, marron said:

1 run even wasn't it.

I was living at cranebrook, and whenever I go up the old northern rd there I always think of that match :lol:

yep 1 to tie,,,2 to win......lol

.Craig McDermott is busy running a property development company on the Gold Coast, but he occasionally recalls the moment his dismissal denied Australia a series-clinching win over the powerful West Indies. It was January 26, 1993 at the Adelaide Oval when a Courtney Walsh bouncer brushed his glove - or was it the grill of his helmet? - and he was caught behind leaving Australia two runs shy of victory.........

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/it-wasnt-australias-day-20031214-gdwxlp.html

2 hours ago, sonar said:

That's a declaration of war.

Let the fun begin. 

It would be interesting if Labor wins govt and sack the majority of the board, what will happen to the SFS. A refurbishment might take 2 years is my guess but someone with better knowledge please let everyone know how long.

Then the Smurfs will be back in their oversized stadium for 7 more years and whining the whole time.

2 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

That’s **** gold 

Stuart Ayres telling people the seats are flammable And the selling themselves elsewhere 

Is that true if so lol 

"Tony Sheppard swore on oath the seats were flammable and the next minute we see [Sport Minister] Stuart Ayers, a friend of yours, and others bragging on TV about how they are shopping those seats to rugby clubs all over Australia," he told Jones.

I mean who does Michael Daley think he is? You just can't talk to a RWNJ Hero like that and get away with it.

3 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I see that Jones brought up the Hillsborough comparison again.....yet they still allowed the sellout NRL semi final go ahead !!!

Yep. Absolutely sickening comparison. I dislike Daley with a passion but I'm sort of glad he put Jones in his place today.

"I'm going to sack you. Thanks for your service". Lol.

Edited by Wanderboy
5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

That's a declaration of war.

Let the fun begin. 

It would be interesting if Labor wins govt and sack the majority of the board, what will happen to the SFS. A refurbishment might take 2 years is my guess but someone with better knowledge please let everyone know how long.

Then the Smurfs will be back in their oversized stadium for 7 more years and whining the whole time.

If they follow through on the sacking of the Trust board I would 99% be sure they'll put all the seats back in and re-open it and waste another few million dollars doing their own 'studies' on the state of the stadium.

After that who knows. If they decide to knock it down anyway I would give a very high chance that they simple copy the Western Sydney Stadium and build another one at Moore Park. Populous did have a design that was an expanded version of WSS though. A new Labor government wouldn't authorise any new SFS that cost as much as the existing rebuild would have.

If I were Sydney FC I would have put in massive compensation penalties knowing how politically fraught this rebuild was.

I couldn't see a new stadium getting built for at least 5 years from now.

If Labor wins he would sack the majority of the prestigious board, including Jones, because it had "colluded" with the Berejiklian government to fund the $730 million rebuild of Allianz Stadium. Well I make this point - the ladies' stand and the Members' Stand at the SCG are made of wood. They don’t comply with today’s standards either. I don’t see people rushing to try and knock them down."

Is it really "collusion" for the people on the board of the SCG Trust, a Government entity, to make a case to the NSW Government that they should do a new stadium?

Also, the obvious point about the Ladies & Members stands are that they are 120 years old and heritage listed.

12 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Daley doubles down. Asking if the stadium was so bad why did they spend 12m on massive screen and not upgrade the female loos for example 

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/i-don-t-care-what-enemies-i-pick-daley-doubles-down-on-scg-trust-threat-20190305-p511ul.html

Judging by many of the comments to that article, Daley won a few votes today.

**** that. The guy is a clown of the highest order. He's relying on populism  to win votes, not actual policies. A lot of what he has planned (or unplanned) will take this state backwards.

Without trying to bring too much politics into this thread, I will site just one example.

He wants to cancel the Sydenham to Bankstown section of the Metro. Little do people know that this is an extremely important part of the Metro system. What it will do is take trains off the Bankstown line and free up space in the City Circle line which is currently almost at capacity. This will allow for a massive increase in services for other lines. Bankstown will still get a fast metro to the city, with 4 new stations. 

Labor are against Metros because they are driverless. Upsetting their union mates. Wow, fancy in 2019 we actually use some modern technology.

The Coalition need to be returned to see through their infrastructure plans.

We're all aware of Labors infrastructure history, or lack of.....

Originally Posted by Ministry of Transport
Monday, 23 November 1998
THE HON CARL SCULLY MP
Minister for Transport
Minister for Roads
Media Release
EIGHT MAJOR RAIL PROJECTS FOR SYDNEY

New rail links across the north western suburbs to Castle Hill, from Hurstville to Strathfield and high speed links to Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong are among eight major rail projects to be built in Sydney by 2010.

"This fully funded rail blueprint will deliver eight new rail lines by 2010, providing links will areas of Sydney where the population has expanded rapidly and where future urban growth is forecast to boom," Mr Scully said.

The rail plan features:

A $360 million rail extension from Epping to Castle Hill by 2010, with potential to be extended to Mungerie Park and Rouse Hill after 2010.

A $800 million line linking major growth centres at Strathfield and Hurstville to be commenced in 2010.

A $30 million Y Link at Liverpool, allowing direct services between Fairfield and Hurstville for the first time.

A $800 million high speed rail link from Hornsby to Newcastle the first stage of which would be completed by 2007 with further work to Newcastle commenced by 2010.

A $287 million high speed rail link from Sutherland to Wollongong by 2010.

"These projects will build on those major projects which are already under construction or in the planning phases, such as the $1.4 billion Parramatta Rail Link to Chatswood via Epping, the $700 million New Southern Railway connecting the airport and the CBD and the Bondi Beach Railway," Mr Scully said.

Then...….

Epping to Castle Hill line - cancelled then brought back as a proposal to start maybe some time in the late 2010s
Strathfield to Hurstville line - cancelled
Liverpool Y-link - cancelled
High speed line to Newcastle - cancelled
High speed line to Wollongong - cancelled
Parramatta to Chatswood line - Partially constructed, opened 2009
Airport line - Opened in 2000
Bondi Beach extension - cancelled

Let's not get too political /off topic. 

Having said that, I don't like Daley's policies but damn he's got some cajones. The Trust needs to be shown up. Unfortunately I don't think this will have much effect. 

A renovation was always the best option at the SFS. Ingress and egress around the stadium needed improving majorly, apart from that, a few updates here and there. This could drag out a while as we settle into our new stadium, what a shame for ESFC :)

1 hour ago, mack said:

Is it really "collusion" for the people on the board of the SCG Trust, a Government entity, to make a case to the NSW Government that they should do a new stadium?

Also, the obvious point about the Ladies & Members stands are that they are 120 years old and heritage listed.

You’re cherrypicking Mack. Why not pick the other quotes about doing up the private suites instead of female toilets? If this was to do with anything but stadiums you’d be all for someone standing up to the likes of Jones and his mates.

And yeah it’s collusion if you do it behind closed doors and don’t follow the government’s own processes.

Anyway, this is great. Entertaining politics for once. Someone not afraid to get in a stoush with powerful people.

The bit that got me was Gladys banging on about rushed policies. What?!? Pot kettle and all that.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

A renovation was always the best option at the SFS. Ingress and egress around the stadium needed improving majorly, apart from that, a few updates here and there. This could drag out a while as we settle into our new stadium, what a shame for ESFC :)

100% this. 

Edited by sonar
2 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I see that Jones brought up the Hillsborough comparison again.....yet they still allowed the sellout NRL semi final go ahead !!!

Did jones being uo hillsborough again the prick has no shame 

Yeah obviously the Trust has done some questionable things and Jones is a scumbag. Those lines are just what stood out to me when I read the article. I've believed for a long time that the SCG Trust needs to be removed and incorporated into Venues NSW and the Trust sacked, but the way he's done it (in a ****-flinging shouting contest on a morning radio show) doesn't make me think "this is considered policy".

I imagine if it was Parramatta Stadium getting cancelled because the dozen FOPP idiots bought a lawsuit to protect the pool and the new government were promising to cancel the whole thing, there would be very different reactions. Every complaint about the SFS & ANZ rebuilds could easily have applied to the old Parramatta.

15 minutes ago, matty said:

Ingress and egress around the stadium needed improving majorly

There's very little that can be done to improve that and what can be done already has. 50% of the area around the stadium is cut off for pedestrian access because it's needed for vehicle access to both stadiums or the EQ district.

20 minutes ago, mack said:

Yeah obviously the Trust has done some questionable things and Jones is a scumbag. Those lines are just what stood out to me when I read the article. I've believed for a long time that the SCG Trust needs to be removed and incorporated into Venues NSW and the Trust sacked, but the way he's done it (in a ****-flinging shouting contest on a morning radio show) doesn't make me think "this is considered policy".

I imagine if it was Parramatta Stadium getting cancelled because the dozen FOPP idiots bought a lawsuit to protect the pool and the new government were promising to cancel the whole thing, there would be very different reactions. Every complaint about the SFS & ANZ rebuilds could easily have applied to the old Parramatta.

There's very little that can be done to improve that and what can be done already has. 50% of the area around the stadium is cut off for pedestrian access because it's needed for vehicle access to both stadiums or the EQ district.

Just build a bigger bridge!!!!

22 minutes ago, mack said:

There's still plenty of wasted space. This also includes gates and turnstiles. 

I’m gonna cherrypick now :P

1 hour ago, mack said:

Every complaint about the SFS & ANZ rebuilds could easily have applied to the old Parramatta.

Except for the fact that they don’t need a new stadium over there and we do because we had members bulging at the seams and a stadium not big enough for us. Remember those good old days folks?

Anyway, agree with most of the rest of your post Mack.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic