Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

2 hours ago, mack said:

The SFS was never going to get rebuilt for that cost. I don't think it was even realistic to be built before 2023.

Ridiculous stuff.

You’ve got a company who need to make a profit and therefore will have done the sums properly. And a government who pushed through the approval before the election. Pretty obvious who is to blame here. 

Lend Lease have obviously been clear about the cost and don’t want to be part of a project that will lose them money.

So what will happen? They get a 30k replica of ours? Just like many people think they should have got in the first place?

2 hours ago, marron said:

That's shocking.

Wonder which dodgy deal had an extra hole in it. What a ******* government we have.

Is our stadium the only one of their infrastructure projects that has gone to plan? 

Westconnex has people complaining their houses are being cracked because the tunnel is too close to the surface.

The light rail has had so many farcical situations, from the government not telling the company doing it about all the water and electricity infrastructure in the way, to the businesses suing them because it has taken so long and has been affecting foot traffic AND leaving **** all over their businesses.

Now this.

Even our stadium they approved without working out what to do about the pool and now they are fighting with Parra council about it.

3 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

So what will happen? They get a 30k replica of ours? Just like many people think they should have got in the first place?

Just my opinion but I'm of the view the SCG Trust and ESFC didn't want us to have a better facility than them. They made up spurious and dodgy reasons saying the stadium was usafe which was bullshit. They got their media mates...a la A Jones to push the case. 

The average crowd figures for the SFS do not warrant a bigger stadium then WSS,

14 minutes ago, sonar said:

Just my opinion but I'm of the view the SCG Trust and ESFC didn't want us to have a better facility than them. They made up spurious and dodgy reasons saying the stadium was usafe which was bullshit. They got their media mates...a la A Jones to push the case. 

The average crowd figures for the SFS do not warrant a bigger stadium then WSS,

Neither do the other tenants.

15 hours ago, hughsey said:

Wowee that’s not what you want to hear when it’s been demolished... 

It’s a shame Leichhardt has such poor traffic flow around the stadium because I reckon that would be perfect for Sydney to redevelop and play out of

Kogarah is fine for them closer to their core supporter base.

They can piss off out of inner west

53 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

They can piss off out of inner west

I just went past Beaman Park and there was a plastic thing that looked like a jumping castle but it was shaped like a mini six a side field, with goals at the end. Like some kind of field for juniors? Was painted red and black.

I was wondering if that was WSW getting amongst the inner west juniors but I couldn’t see any markings.

10 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I just went past Beaman Park and there was a plastic thing that looked like a jumping castle but it was shaped like a mini six a side field, with goals at the end. Like some kind of field for juniors? Was painted red and black.

I was wondering if that was WSW getting amongst the inner west juniors but I couldn’t see any markings.

I’ve seen absolutely nothing from either club in terms of getting amongst the inner west juniors 

Not a thing

and the A league wonders why it struggles 

It means SFC are going to start pushing to use our stadium while the Government scrambles to hand the job to another mate of theirs at an inflated budget.

The sad part for fans is that the new SFS design is poor compared to WSS.

I find it quite crazy that despite it being clear that our stadium was going to be finished on time and relatively on budget (at some point it went from $300 million to $360 million without much fanfare), the Government then picked an inferior different designer, and then later on, sacked the same company that built our stadium for them.

1 hour ago, mack said:

If they could play Victory there they would assume they could get a sellout and make more money than at Leichardt Oval or Kogarah. They would probably consider playing the Macarthur team next season there as well.

The Smurfs can f** o**, they didn't want us pissed off east after a couple of trial games. If they wanted to be in the West, then they should have made an attempt to play games away from the east.

7 hours ago, mack said:

It means SFC are going to start pushing to use our stadium while the Government scrambles to hand the job to another mate of theirs at an inflated budget.

The sad part for fans is that the new SFS design is poor compared to WSS.

I find it quite crazy that despite it being clear that our stadium was going to be finished on time and relatively on budget (at some point it went from $300 million to $360 million without much fanfare), the Government then picked an inferior different designer, and then later on, sacked the same company that built our stadium for them.

Further proves how backwards and dysfunctional the stadium strategy is in Sydney.

What’s even crazier is the lobbying for an expensive ‘curtain’ to be incorporated into the design because the capacity was too big for its 3 main tenants. If their research indicated that capacity would not be reached at least 90% of the time then why did they not just reduce the actual capacity and save money? Who are the extra 10-15k seats intended for if they’ll be covered over most of the time?

Bankwest stadium is the only thing they’ve gotten right which has ironically exposed how poor the rest of the stadium system is. They should keep ANZ as the large stadium for finals, internationals and premium fixtures and then have the SCG as a mid to large size venue. Take the BankWest design/size and use it to rebuild Allianz and redevelop the several suburban grounds around the city.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Further proves how backwards and dysfunctional the stadium strategy is in Sydney.

What’s even crazier is the lobbying for an expensive ‘curtain’ to be incorporated into the design because the capacity was too big for its 3 main tenants. If their research indicated that capacity would not be reached at least 90% of the time then why did they not just reduce the actual capacity and save money? Who are the extra 10-15k seats intended for if they’ll be covered over most of the time?

Bankwest stadium is the only thing they’ve gotten right which has ironically exposed how poor the rest of the stadium system is. They should keep ANZ as the large stadium for finals, internationals and premium fixtures and then have the SCG as a mid to large size venue. Take the BankWest design/size and use it to rebuild Allianz and redevelop the several suburban grounds around the city.

The shape of Bankwest doesn't suit the site at Allianz which is very constrained length wise.  The design used for the new stadium loads more of the capacity along the sides to overcome this but even at 30,000 capacity the shape of the new design would have to be retained to have enough space for the external concourse at the ends and north east corner.  Additionally there is a basement level road right around the pitch that might not work with the straight side and end design like Bankwest.  The placement of columns and the turning circle requirements for the internal road are critical items.

The worst major stadium for football in Sydney is ANZ.  It is only slightly better than the MCG for football which means at best it is a third order stadium.

Aren't they going to knock down the NRL HQ building to increase the space available? If that happens I think they could find enough room even though it'd be very tight.

Plus they could spend the rest of the money on knocking down ANZ and doing a proper rectangular stadium. I bet Populous would love a crack at designing a stadium 60,000 to 80,000 with rectangular sports as the focus.

• mack unpinned this topic