Sign in to follow this  
mack

Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

On 25/11/2019 at 2:46 PM, Paul01 said:

Planned for the NBN was Fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) for 93% of all households.

What we got instead was a wrecking ball when the Emperor (Murdoch) told his minions (Abbott》Turnbull) that his empire would flounder (and his riches) if FTTP happened. Instead we got the substandard Fibre-to-the-node (FTTN). As they (Abbott & co) did the bidding of the Emperor, he guaranteed influence and money on an ongoing basis to the conservatives. 

Planning for the conservatives is how best to get money to your mates to help them maximize their profits so that they can donate to the next election campaign. F*** em

Yeah Labour sucks! 

😜

20 hours ago, Flytox said:

paywalled

post the article if you can

I know the Stadium Australia upgrade doesn't have a lot of support on here but it's interesting to see how they are planning to turn it from an oval bowl format to a rectangular bowl format. I've linked the Architectural and Urban Design Report which along with a lot of other stuff shows what is to be demolished and what goes in each replacement level together with some nice cutaways and both internal and external perspective views.

It looks pretty good.

https://majorprojects.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/prweb/PRRestService/mp/01/getContent?AttachRef=SSD-10342!20190919T214747.018 GMT

Edited by Flytox

They throw enough 'artists impressions' in there, geez

Side stands are still too far away. 

Cox Architecture... they're know for shitty designs, the old SFS is an example of their brilliant work

The old sfs wasn't bad, especially for its day. Views were good because it was purpose built. 

Similarly Stadium Australia was great for the Olympics (views were still not great) but it packed people in and did the job. I guess they thought they were being clever with the planned conversion from 110k to 80k after the Olympics but it didn't change the bones of the stadium. 

Now, with this opportunity to make it right, I'm surprised (naive, I know) they're going to botch it again. 

2 hours ago, matty said:

They throw enough 'artists impressions' in there, geez

Side stands are still too far away. 

The top tier both sides is all that is retained and all but a couple of thousand seats there are inside FIFA's maximum viewing distance.  The new tiers at the side and ends have good rakes.

1 hour ago, SBW said:

Cox Architecture... they're know for shitty designs, the old SFS is an example of their brilliant work

That project was design and construct so Cox had to produce what the principal contractor wanted for the price the contractor wanted.

The new North Qld Stadium is a Cox design and looks pretty good.

Edited by Flytox

On 12/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, Flytox said:

The top tier both sides is all that is retained and all but a couple of thousand seats there are inside FIFA's maximum viewing distance.  The new tiers at the side and ends have good rakes.

Yeah we've been over this before. A year or two ago. 

Top tier is a lot of seats and 'Fifa maximum viewing distance' or not, the top tier sucks, most of the mid tier does too. 

Besides, a new 'world class' stadium shouldn't have any seats outside the maximum viewing distance, that kinda says it all

Edited by matty

On 12/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, Flytox said:

Is that before or after removal of the back few rows?

Lowering the capacity and rectangularising ANZ.

Rebuilding and increasing the capacity of the SFS.

Has anyone from the government stopped to think about how both of these plans nullify one another?

25 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Has anyone from the government stopped to think about how both of these plans nullify one another?

Doesn't suit the Parrot (Alan Jones) and the leather patch brigade.

22 hours ago, matty said:

Yeah we've been over this before. A year or two ago. 

Top tier is a lot of seats and 'Fifa maximum viewing distance' or not, the top tier sucks, most of the mid tier does too. 

Besides, a new 'world class' stadium shouldn't have any seats outside the maximum viewing distance, that kinda says it all

The top tier is about 9k each side.

Large capacity modern stadiums all exceed the maximum viewing distance somewhere in the top seating tier.  The shape of the bowl determines which seats are outside the 190m max viewing distance.  By using the existing top tier the stadium has greater capacity than if they replaced it but the trade off is the seats that are outside the maximum viewing distance are retained. 

14 hours ago, hughsey said:

They aren't increasing the capacity of SFS.

The government's thinking stated in the stadiums strategy is that they would provide 3 different capacity stadiums and that hirers would hire the capacity stadium that suits their event.  That might be OK for one off events but it doesn't work were a club requires a home ground in their area.

The strategy should always have been 30k at SFS and BankWest and a proper job on ANZ.

12 hours ago, Flytox said:

The top tier is about 9k each side.

Large capacity modern stadiums all exceed the maximum viewing distance somewhere in the top seating tier.  The shape of the bowl determines which seats are outside the 190m max viewing distance.  By using the existing top tier the stadium has greater capacity than if they replaced it but the trade off is the seats that are outside the maximum viewing distance are retained. 

Stadium Australia holds 9k on one of the side stands? 

11 hours ago, matty said:

Stadium Australia holds 9k on one of the side stands? 

Currently the bottom tier including the ends holds 45k and the intermediate tiers hold about 18-19k leaving another 18-19k in the top tier ie about 9k each side.

In the remodelled stadium the top tier will only be open for major games.  All other games will have about 50k capacity with less seats on the sides because of the increased rake of the tiers and significantly increased capacity at the ends.

14 minutes ago, Flytox said:

Currently the bottom tier including the ends holds 45k and the intermediate tiers hold about 18-19k leaving another 18-19k in the top tier ie about 9k each side.

In the remodelled stadium the top tier will only be open for major games.  All other games will have about 50k capacity with less seats on the sides because of the increased rake of the tiers and significantly increased capacity at the ends.

Where'd you get this information? 

10 hours ago, matty said:

Where'd you get this information? 

A bloke who worked on the design of Stadium Australia in the mid to late 90's shared the figures on Austadiums years ago.

@matty,

I just searched through the Austadiums forum and found my memory to be in error a bit.  Approximate capacities are:-

Bottom tier - 46,000

Mid tiers - 14,000

Top tier - 23,000

On 16/12/2019 at 10:43 AM, Flytox said:

@matty,

I just searched through the Austadiums forum and found my memory to be in error a bit.  Approximate capacities are:-

Bottom tier - 46,000

Mid tiers - 14,000

Top tier - 23,000

That's a bit closer to what I expected 

The cost of the controversial demolition and rebuild of the Sydney Football Stadium has blown out by ­almost $100 million, a new deal signed by the government has revealed.

The Berejiklian government has signed a $735 million agreement with construction giant John Holland to deliver the world- class Moore Park stadium in time for the 2022 NRL Grand Final.

The new deal takes the total project cost to $828 million, almost $100 million over the $729 million budget promised.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nsw-governments-sydney-football-stadium-renovation-rescue-blows-out-by-100m/news-story/219691bd7a745c612981a88b6067e451

5 hours ago, mack said:

Lol I'm sure the person on twitter who told me I was "stupid" because I told them knocking down the stadium before signing a rebuild contract was going to result in the Government getting gouge will apologise to me.

Time to call them out on it

13 hours ago, Flytox said:

The cost of the controversial demolition and rebuild of the Sydney Football Stadium has blown out by ­almost $100 million, a new deal signed by the government has revealed.

The Berejiklian government has signed a $735 million agreement with construction giant John Holland to deliver the world- class Moore Park stadium in time for the 2022 NRL Grand Final.

The new deal takes the total project cost to $828 million, almost $100 million over the $729 million budget promised.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nsw-governments-sydney-football-stadium-renovation-rescue-blows-out-by-100m/news-story/219691bd7a745c612981a88b6067e451

I knew this was going to happen. The costs will blow out again but least another $250m.

If Gladys wanted to do this stadium rebuild on the cheap, she should have asked the Qataris to hire their Indians, Nepalese and Bangladeshi workers and make them work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for peanuts.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

It will cost the same as almost 3 Bankwest stadiums - just let that sink in...

And for one and a half times the stadium.

On 19/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, hughsey said:

It will cost the same as almost 3 Bankwest stadiums - just let that sink in...

50% greater capacity plus better spec and much more corporate facilities at least doubles the price.

The site is also much more difficult than at Parramatta.  The foundation material is a mix of water charged sand and rock.  I've been involved in projects in those conditions and 30% of the cost has been just getting out of the ground.  The site is also quite small and to provide external circulation vehicular traffic has had to be taken underground.