Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Here's a good piece

In sport, a bigger stadium isn't always better http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-11/stadiums-too-big-for-some-australian-sports/11951632

I don't understand the government's fascination with building big stadiums. The SFS should have a reduced capacity to 35k because it will hardly sell out for get anything over 35k besides the ANZAC day match or the Sydney derby.

QLD's reluctance to build a boutique stadium that not only will cater the Roar but also QLD cup games and perhaps Super Rugby games. Lang Park won't lose out because clubs won't lose money for paying their massive high rent to use the stadium. Redeveloping Ballymore Park seems like a logical choice but QLD government don't seem interested.

1 hour ago, SBW said:

I don't understand the government's fascination with building big stadiums. The SFS should have a reduced capacity to 35k because it will hardly sell out for get anything over 35k besides the ANZAC day match or the Sydney derby.

QLD's reluctance to build a boutique stadium that not only will cater the Roar but also QLD cup games and perhaps Super Rugby games. Lang Park won't lose out because clubs won't lose money for paying their massive high rent to use the stadium. Redeveloping Ballymore Park seems like a logical choice but QLD government don't seem interested.

All to do with centralizing facilities to increase the Return on Invested Capital. 

More games at less venues with less staff.

It is a accountants paradise. And most likely recommended by the state treasuries (bunch of bast****s)

Sporting executives have a lot to answer for too. There’s been this irrational phobia that if people miss out on attending a live game at a smaller venue then it’s the end of the world. So we’ve seen a lot of events moved to much bigger stadiums for the sake of an extra 5k people and it completely kills the spectacle.

Maybe we will finally see the concept of supply and demand make a return to live sport...

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/02/2020 at 9:31 AM, hughsey said:

Sporting executives have a lot to answer for too. There’s been this irrational phobia that if people miss out on attending a live game at a smaller venue then it’s the end of the world. So we’ve seen a lot of events moved to much bigger stadiums for the sake of an extra 5k people and it completely kills the spectacle.

Maybe we will finally see the concept of supply and demand make a return to live sport...

When you look at the NRL's case, when both Tigers and Parra were the top teams 10 years ago, they were packing out the SFS and ANZ stadium, getting somewhere between 35-50k in their games and no one essentially missed out. but now both teams have gone to ****, they are both barely getting anything over 10k in their games against each other.

It's the same with us, when we were the top team for 3 or 4 seasons, we would pack out Parra Stadium every weekend and that led to the rebuild of it. Now we have been dog **** for the last 4 seasons and our crowds are getting smaller and smaller again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

NRL wants the State Government to build 4 new stadiums in Cronulla, Campbelltown, Penrith and Manly.

Or they'll move the Grand Final.

Just like they said they'd do if the ANZ knock down was cancelled.

Before they signed a 20 year contract to play the Grand Final in Sydney.

On 31/05/2020 at 4:42 PM, mack said:

NRL wants the State Government to build 4 new stadiums in Cronulla, Campbelltown, Penrith and Manly.

Or they'll move the Grand Final.

Just like they said they'd do if the ANZ knock down was cancelled.

Before they signed a 20 year contract to play the Grand Final in Sydney.

So....

The NSW is in real trouble, we better use the 800m from the ANZ upgrade to help our bottom line. Fair enough, shelve the upgrade for a few years 

In its place, NRL wants to create 4 new suburban stadiums for 800m?

I understand that NRL are threatening to take away the grand final but this makes no sense to me?

13 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

So....

The NSW is in real trouble, we better use the 800m from the ANZ upgrade to help our bottom line. Fair enough, shelve the upgrade for a few years 

In its place, NRL wants to create 4 new suburban stadiums for 800m?

I understand that NRL are threatening to take away the grand final but this makes no sense to me?

It's just the NRL thinking their gonads are big enough to threaten the govt. If  it was me I'd be saying to the NRL...nyet....go take the GF elsewhere. I've got an economy to rebuild and services like education and health to fund. 

Edited by sonar

ANZ has been left in a real pickle. They’d already gutted most of the boxes, canteens and general facilities in preparation for the renno and now it ain’t going ahead... plus there’s 18-24 months of events already been booked elsewhere. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Alan Jones on the board, see Union will be fine it’s supported by the old school tie network.

Ill never understand why people continue to vote for this lot 

2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

A very concerning decision due to the people on the board. 

RL and Football will suffer from this.

Baird got rid of these bast****s and the current Premier and sports minister make a terrible decision. 

There's obviously a problem with Liberal Party funding to make this change.

• mack unpinned this topic