Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

6 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Someone on another site suggested that we need to **** off Tony Shephard and get Peter Vlandy's on that board. 

That would certainly work, because he hates AFL and Victoria. :)

Just put Vlandy's on board would be enough. It would be like a volcano ready to erupt.

7 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Someone on another site suggested that we need to **** off Tony Shephard and get Peter Vlandy's on that board. 

That would certainly work, because he hates AFL and Victoria. :)

Tony Shepard is an AFL flog.

SCG Trust get their new shiny stadium, ANZ will still be oval(ish), and the Trust are in charge of everything. Great.

V'landys is probably the only thing standing in the way of the oval grounds brigade at this stage, so we should be in bed with the NRL. Said this from the start - it's an oval v rectangle battle and football and NRL should be teaming up.

How Alan Jones continues to have any sort of pull is beyond me.

On 01/06/2020 at 8:40 PM, Prydzopolis said:

So....

The NSW is in real trouble, we better use the 800m from the ANZ upgrade to help our bottom line. Fair enough, shelve the upgrade for a few years 

In its place, NRL wants to create 4 new suburban stadiums for 800m?

I understand that NRL are threatening to take away the grand final but this makes no sense to me?

On 01/06/2020 at 8:52 PM, sonar said:

It's just the NRL thinking their gonads are big enough to threaten the govt. If  it was me I'd be saying to the NRL...nyet....go take the GF elsewhere. I've got an economy to rebuild and services like education and health to fund. 

Peter V'Landys has the Gladys and state Government by the balls, whatever he wants, he gets. Just like how he runs Racing NSW

13 hours ago, btron3000 said:

SCG Trust get their new shiny stadium, ANZ will still be oval(ish), and the Trust are in charge of everything. Great.

V'landys is probably the only thing standing in the way of the oval grounds brigade at this stage, so we should be in bed with the NRL. Said this from the start - it's an oval v rectangle battle and football and NRL should be teaming up.

How Alan Jones continues to have any sort of pull is beyond me.

V'Landys is in bed with Alan Jones, Jones when he was on Radio had too much say that influenced the State Governments decisions. But I personally think Tony Shepard should go as I think he will start causing problems he is going to run every stadium in the state.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Ayres is getting his job done after all.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/more-bankwests-barilaro-reveals-government-will-back-nrl-suburban-stadiums-20200810-p55kdy.html

"The government has an appetite for the ground renewal program that the NRL has put forward," he told The Sydney Morning Herald.

"I think we're going back to basics, back to the past where that tribalism is actually what the competition needs in a way. We're seeing upgrades at Brookvale, you've got [the new] Parramatta stadium. If we've got an opportunity to do three or four or five more Bankwests, well that's got to be great for the game long term, great for the community and great for that competition."

The NRL had previously targeted as many as four new stadiums, with seating capacity of up to 20,000 and a cost of between $150 million and $200m each, following the government's abandoning of the $800m redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Brookvale Oval, Penrith and Kogarah are locations being discussed for rebuilds while a new venue at Liverpool that could play host to Canterbury, Wests Tigers and possibly South Sydney is also among the options.

The NRL had sought a commitment from government to its vision of restoring tribalism via suburban venues in return for keeping the grand final in Sydney.

The code has a deal with the state government to play the decider in the city until 2042 but that was signed on the basis of ANZ Stadium being transformed into a rectangular ground along with the construction of a new stadiums at Parramatta and Moore Park.

The scrapping of the ANZ redevelopment means that deal is technically off the table but Barilaro was optimistic about a new memorandum of understanding being struck.

"I'm confident the grand final will be played at ANZ Stadium," he said as the NSW government and the NRL announced a game between New Zealand Warriors and Newcastle in Tamworth on August 29.

"We've had a long-term agreement with the NRL and we'll work through those details. But I'm very confident."

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys said on Monday he could not comment on talks with government because they were commercial in confidence.

But he has previously made clear his desire to take the game back to the suburbs and his view that a range of new venues would be community assets, not simply football grounds.

Barilaro said the details of the government's backing were still being thrashed out.

"[The NRL] will be seeking some level of contribution from the state government. We'll also be hitting up the feds I suppose along the journey," Barilaro said.

"We're at the early stages of that conversation but absolutely there is an appetite for it."

He maintained, though, that Sydney's retention of the grand final was not contingent on the government splashing out immediately on suburban grounds.

"They are two separate things but they want to know where the government stands … what's the long-term vision," Barilaro said.

"Peter and the NRL, everyone has been working really well together. This has been a tough year. You could use that to leverage each other but we're not."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, mack said:

New 20k seat stadium to be built at Kogarah is going to be announced in the NSW budget on Nov 17, and then a new stadium every year with Manly, Liverpool and Penrith the likely locations.

Let me guess.. Stuart Ayres' doing? They already have a stadium

19 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

It ain't that much of a stadium.

And they have problems with the Southern end with a creek bed.

Their only hope is to build a greenfield stadium on land to the west of the league's club

43 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

And they have problems with the Southern end with a creek bed.

Their only hope is to build a greenfield stadium on land to the west of the league's club

If we're talking Penrith they have more of a problem with Howell Oval at the southern end......and the racetrack at the Northern end.....very very close.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Panthers+Stadium/@-33.7585009,150.6881658,511m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b128f5479e1b1d3:0x4a384aff7306ec53!8m2!3d-33.7589439!4d150.686867

Edited by sonar
15 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Thanks ED, didn't know that.........what's the bet it gets sold to developers for high rise......?

:D

I'm thinking the Save Our Paceway and the Save Howell Oval groups can start to get organized......:ninja:

:D

8 minutes ago, MajorMelons said:

It will make sense for the Bulls to shift to Liverpool if the get to use a brand new stadium. 

However, despite all their bullcrap about representing the Southern Districts area, they have promoted themselves as Campbelltown centric. Decision might not go down too well with the locals.

34 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Hindmarsh Stadium will be getting a "facelift" that's worth 45 million:

Called me old fashioned, but 'shade covering' is commonly referred to as a roof. Unless it is a Bunnings shade cloth tarp job

Having roasted at Hindmarsh last December I can confirm more shade is needed.

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Called me old fashioned, but 'shade covering' is commonly referred to as a roof. Unless it is a Bunnings shade cloth tarp job

Having roasted at Hindmarsh last December I can confirm more shade is needed.

When they say "shade covering", I was thinking the exact same thing, something like this:

pic-amenities-shade.jpg

Looking at this image of the stadium below...I'm assuming this "shade covering" will be done at both ends? 

• 3 weeks later...

Makes me wonder if Lederer even bothered trying to get the NSW or Fed Government to help pay for our centre. For $75 million we could have built our entire academy, training facility, office, and had $50 million left over to turn the Spartans ground into a 5k sized boutique stadium, put a Wanderers licensed club on the grounds and built a car park as big as the one at Parra Leagues club.

34 minutes ago, mack said:

Makes me wonder if Lederer even bothered trying to get the NSW or Fed Government to help pay for our centre. For $75 million we could have built our entire academy, training facility, office, and had $50 million left over to turn the Spartans ground into a 5k sized boutique stadium, put a Wanderers licensed club on the grounds and built a car park as big as the one at Parra Leagues club.

Obviously Lederer doesn't have the cloud.

Is is just that football is the poor cousin?

So far cricket and rugby union getting funding from the white boys in the conservative NSW Govt.

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Looks like a much smaller capacity

Same capacity. Maybe even a little bit more.

There will be two tiers of away support at the southern end (maybe - depending on our seating allocation.). 

2941dde135565f4f1b4840d86e4de0ae.jpg

Edit: Whoops, sorry. I thought you were talking about Allianz.

Yes, Concord will have a much smaller capacity.

Edited by Wanderboy