Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, hughsey said:

That’s where all the money is. I think the aleague/clubs are crazy to be turning that money away. Beggars can’t be choosers...

The money also used to be in ciggies and booze. And i know the arguments about the nanny state but I'm glad the club and league are drawing a line in the sand. I know too many individuals and families who have been damaged by addictive gambling. 

Edited by Potkorok
Spelling
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, GE942150 said:

Is anyone frustrated by the lack of lighting in the north and south upper stands of bankwest? When theirs a full crowd you can barely see them.

Deliberate design choice. Helps keep cost/power usage down.

• 1 month later...

The non sauce end at gosford looked dark as on tv the other night, I couldn't tell if it was just that there were lots of people in there and so it was more noticeable than normal or if it always looks like that.

Anyway

Article on the SMH says Penrith getting a knockdown with the panthers to play at parra for 2 seasons while it gets rebuilt.

I still think they should have went ahead with the Stadium Australia upgrade. It would have overtaken Suncorp as the biggest and best rectangular stadium in the country, and been more attractive to host major world events from football and rugby. Instead, they wasted the money on moving the powerhouse museum which no one in Parramatta even cares about. 

11 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

Instead, they wasted the money on moving the powerhouse museum which no one in Parramatta even cares about. 

That wasn't going to be moved for any reason except to sell the Ultimo site to developers. Sure, it would have cost the taxpayer a billion dollars and only made $200 million in return, but the mates of the LNP would end up making a killing after turning the site into high rise luxury apartments and some of that would have funnelled back to the LNP through 'donations' and hiring of LNP staffers & companies to work on it.

10 minutes ago, mack said:

That wasn't going to be moved for any reason except to sell the Ultimo site to developers. Sure, it would have cost the taxpayer a billion dollars and only made $200 million in return, but the mates of the LNP would end up making a killing after turning the site into high rise luxury apartments and some of that would have funnelled back to the LNP through 'donations' and hiring of LNP staffers & companies to work on it.

Great point. I completely forgot about that. 

1 hour ago, marron said:

The non sauce end at gosford looked dark as on tv the other night, I couldn't tell if it was just that there were lots of people in there and so it was more noticeable than normal or if it always looks like that.

Anyway

Article on the SMH says Penrith getting a knockdown with the panthers to play at parra for 2 seasons while it gets rebuilt.

Well, that locks in the A-league as a summer competition for 2 seasons. 3 NRL Playing out of Bankwest leaves no room for us in winter.

They should fix Campbelltown while there at it. Just to roof up these stadiums and get cover from the weather. Its one of the few things I am grateful for with bankwest is that your covered no matter what, so weather isn't so much of an excuse not to go.

52 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

They should fix Campbelltown while there at it. Just to roof up these stadiums and get cover from the weather. Its one of the few things I am grateful for with bankwest is that your covered no matter what, so weather isn't so much of an excuse not to go.

And yet still not many people show up when it rains.

Also a push for a new stadium at Liverpool for the Bulldogs and Tigers. Doesn't really matter much for us but would be good if we only had to share Bankwest with one NRL team instead of 4, especially around the fringes of each season when both codes are playing.

lol they haven't finished building the Moore Park stadium

As someone who grew up in Penrith, it's nice to see the Panthers do well

But that stadium is only used by the Panthers - good pork barrelling to get votes but bad policy overall

I imagine that Panthers will block any attempt WSW make to use Penrith stadium in the future

At least with Bankwest, the justification was that it would be used all year long with two big tenants (Eels and WSW)

Spending the Stadium Australia fund on these suburban stadiums is a waste of money. They are all in poor locations and the teams who play there will never get big crowds unless they are flying high, such as Penrith atm. 

Bankwest makes sense because the great location, being the CBD of west Sydney and 2 major teams playing all year round. The SFS makes sense because it's the only football stadium close to the city CBD and hosts multiple teams all year round. 

Stadium Australia rebuild should have went ahead. It hosts all the major events due to having the biggest capacity. People complain about the atmosphere because the seating is too far from the field. Well, the atmosphere would have been great with the fully rectanguar transformation and that would have helped to increase crowds. 

4 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

Spending the Stadium Australia fund on these suburban stadiums is a waste of money. They are all in poor locations and the teams who play there will never get big crowds unless they are flying high, such as Penrith atm. 

Bankwest makes sense because the great location, being the CBD of west Sydney and 2 major teams playing all year round. The SFS makes sense because it's the only football stadium close to the city CBD and hosts multiple teams all year round. 

Stadium Australia rebuild should have went ahead. It hosts all the major events due to having the biggest capacity. People complain about the atmosphere because the seating is too far from the field. Well, the atmosphere would have been great with the fully rectanguar transformation and that would have helped to increase crowds. 

oh please, you can't say the suburban grounds are in poor locations then advocate that stadium australia should be renovated. every suburban ground is better located for their clubs than any team that plays out of that ******* shithole of concrete and steel.

suburban grounds ******* rule. 

On 11/04/2021 at 2:51 PM, hughsey said:

That’s where all the money is. I think the aleague/clubs are crazy to be turning that money away. Beggars can’t be choosers...

Not crazy to show some sort of morals 

if WSW go with that sort of sponsorship they won’t be getting any merch $ from me 

6 hours ago, GE942150 said:

This Australian obsession with massive soulless stadiums shared by multiple teams is awful 

50 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

This Australian obsession with massive soulless stadiums shared by multiple teams is awful 

The multiple club teams sharing the ground isn't of interest to me. I'm interested in having a proper atmosphere for major events such as soceroos, wallabies, origin, nrl finals, grand final, and possibly Sydney derbies. You can't get that experience with the seats so far away from the field, and no other stadium in the city is big enough to host these events. We need our own version of Wembley. 

In an ideal world, both suburban grounds and stadium Australia would get the funding, just like in London with all their suburban grounds and Wembley (although I think some of them are privately owned), but the government just won't spend all that money at once. When stadium Aus is at least 30 years old they may consider fixing it again. 

15 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Not crazy to show some sort of morals 

if WSW go with that sort of sponsorship they won’t be getting any merch $ from me 

Bet 365 was occasionally plastered on the advertising boards at our games throughout the season lol so much for this stance they’ve taken...

The only gambling sponsor WSW took on was Betting Club

This is the ad they used to play on the big screens at Spotless and ANZ

Considering that WSW recently took sponsorship money (1 year deal I think) from the NSW Office for Responsible Gambling, the club will face a lot of online backlash if they take another gambling sponsor

• mack unpinned this topic