FFA Failure: The Sunset Of David Gallop

1 hour ago, mack said:

FFA got $250k to be a VAR trialist.

I wonder if they’re second guessing that decision. It certainly hasn’t helped them any in the battle for public support.

Everything they do from a football perspective is designed to save costs (except pay the national team more than most other nations), and then they blow it all on consultants and lawyers but still get nowhere on the strategic stuff until they are about to be kicked out, then they (apparently) go into overdrive.

Have they even set a date for the AGM where they will be turfed? It’s in November and last time I looked they hadn’t set a date!

OMG, what I could do with $14 million!

I get that this has to stretch across the Socceroos, Matilda and A-League, but really? That much money being spent should be noticeable. 

The worst thing is, a lot of the advertising on Fox and Ten would probably be contra or included in the broadcast deal. Most of the other advertising I saw last year was from clubs and that would be out their pockets, not the FFA. 

So where does that money go? Compared to the NRL or AFL, it's probably a drop in the ocean. However, that just means you have to be smarter about how you spend it. 

A full-page ad in one of the big papers can run upwards of $50,000. I would re-direct that into a digital spend. 

Traditional media is dying. I saw this tweet below the other day and it was interesting but not surprising. 

This is true for magazines, newspapers and radio. People have changed their consumption habits. A lot less people are picking up a newspaper or magazine these days. It's all moving online. People are using streaming services, catch-up television and watching a lot more content online instead of traditional TV. And with the proliferation of Spotify and podcasts, a lot less people are listening to traditional radio. Radio is probably the least affected at this stage, but it's sliding. 

Spending hundreds of thousands in traditional media will still have some impact but a lot less than say 5-10 years ago. You have to be digitally savvy these days and I don't know if the FFA are.   

Hopefully we have some strategic direction from the new board and get some people with experience in that can lead us into the new world. 

10 minutes ago, CaptainJess said:

This is true for magazines, newspapers and radio. People have changed their consumption habits. A lot less people are picking up a newspaper or magazine these days. It's all moving online. People are using streaming services, catch-up television and watching a lot more content online instead of traditional TV. And with the proliferation of Spotify and podcasts, a lot less people are listening to traditional radio. Radio is probably the least affected at this stage, but it's sliding. 

Spending hundreds of thousands in traditional media will still have some impact but a lot less than say 5-10 years ago. You have to be digitally savvy these days and I don't know if the FFA are.   

Hopefully we have some strategic direction from the new board and get some people with experience in that can lead us into the new world. 

This.

I rarely watch FTA........never read a newspaper.......movies and shows I stream ,,,,.and sometimes I might stream internet radio for the music or live sports coverage not on FTA.

Edited by sonar

So the question is then, why can't the number of people streaming sport, general tv, etc. be counted? and then be added onto the traditional tally?

Surely it would also be far more reliable and easier than the current ancient system used for FTA tv. Isn't Foxtel able to count every single box and what channel it is tuned onto?

It appears as though we keep hearing the same message that people are altering their consumption habits, though seem to do nothing about obtaining the number that indicates just how many are utilising these new systems. 

4 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

OMG, what I could do with $14 million!

I get that this has to stretch across the Socceroos, Matilda and A-League, but really? That much money being spent should be noticeable. 

The worst thing is, a lot of the advertising on Fox and Ten would probably be contra or included in the broadcast deal. Most of the other advertising I saw last year was from clubs and that would be out their pockets, not the FFA. 

So where does that money go? Compared to the NRL or AFL, it's probably a drop in the ocean. However, that just means you have to be smarter about how you spend it. 

A full-page ad in one of the big papers can run upwards of $50,000. I would re-direct that into a digital spend. 

The $14m is for marketing and media and includes all production costs and event cost.  It also includes the continuing work on the brand refresh and digital presence.  2017 it included marquee costs of $1.9m but for 2018 I think that was replaced by an extra distribution to the clubs for marketing which would be costed to this category.  Contra is recognised as revenue in the accounts so it would also have to be recognised as expenditure and contra for the broadcast rights would probably be costed to this category.

5 hours ago, sonar said:

This.

I rarely watch FTA........never read a newspaper.......movies and shows I stream ,,,,.and sometimes I might stream internet radio for the music or live sports coverage not on FTA.

I rarely watch fta too - because the shows are crap! I don't buy newspapers because the reporting of actual news is crap  Maybe I'm not the only one and that's why the numbers have dropped.

Concur - I don’t even have a FTA antenna connected moved into the house 3 years ago and just decided to use Foxtel 

I watch zero fta outside of sunrise in the morning to for 5 mins to see if the world blew up 

I really only watch football and documentaries and even then most i watch online for the latter 

fta is for mindless zombies who want to watch shows they are supposed to be reality but just aimed at tension - the drama by untrained actors has just replaced the actors and the tv producers have extended their lifespan a little if the human race ever grows tired of the **** on fta - fta is doomed I think we have a generation left of drongos who will watch the **** though 

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever votes he did have, maybe he'd prefer they went somewhere else if he knows he would lose anyway. He probably would have a good idea who they'd vote for instead.

Although I don't know how the voting actually works. 

I heard a discussion today on the candidates.l on Box-2-Box

Foster does not have support from the A-league clubs or the state federations.

Conroy is the Heartle$$ straw man as the other women nominated Linda somebody.  She represents the Murdochs, is the Fox Sports representative as well as a CFG nominee.

I heard that Carlozzi is actually a football man and was invited by the p*** Tony Shepherd to be on the Midgets board to represent Western Sydney.

It was all meant to change, new hope after the whole of Football came together to oust lowy

Then the candidates were announced & there was some shady stuff going around. Despite being the best candidate Foz would struggle to get elected let alone go for chairman. 

Before you know it, it’s all gone to ****. I look forward to incoming **** show we have over the next few days. As much as things change, they stay the same. Hate ******* politics.

FYI, don’t fall off your chair. Dom bossi wrote a half decent article. Shock horror.

7 minutes ago, mack said:

Gatt: Latest development. I understand the A League clubs have reached a consensus on a three person ticket for FFA elections, in order: Nogarotto, Carrozzi, Reid.

The AFL stooge is in, Foster out.

Well the City F***ing Group trying to run the league.

5 hours ago, mack said:

If he's really from Fairfield he's a traitor. Joining GWS. Makes me sick.

Yep. I listened to a snippet on the FNR podcast. 

A Marconi fan.

To be, the biggest winner out of the corporate and clubs winning is football agnostic David Gallop. If Foster had gotten, I reckon Gallop would have walked but we seem to be stuck with him for the rest of his tenure.

• mack locked this topic