FFA Failure: The Sunset Of David Gallop

No denying there needs to be change within the FFA, but am I the only one who can't help but feel like this is incredibly hypocritical of FIFA to be going after them so persistently?

Would we be seeing them do this to one of the big footballing nations? Feels like they've just picked an easy target to try and make themselves look good and restore an image of righteousness and leadership.

They "picked" FFA because it has the lowest number of voters to elect the federations board, of all the FIFA nations.

No denying there needs to be change within the FFA, but am I the only one who can't help but feel like this is incredibly hypocritical of FIFA to be going after them so persistently?

Would we be seeing them do this to one of the big footballing nations? Feels like they've just picked an easy target to try and make themselves look good and restore an image of righteousness and leadership.

I doubt this is even close to news in the rest of the footballing world. No-one will remember this over, say, the fiasco that is Qatar.

They probably "picked" us because City Football Group are in their ear.

We know we can't trust FIFA to do things for the right reasons. We know we can't trust the FFA to make good decisions about anything. Gonna be interesting watching this play out! And then even more interesting in 5 years time when Bonita Mersiadas or someone releases a book about just how dodgy they all were through this process!

When the A-League started there was so much hope

Dozen years on we are essentially back where we started

Infighting bitching agendas and standoffs

Football is forever dogged by politics and why in Australia will always be the little brother of the big footy codes

I wouldn't say we are where we started back in the A-League's inception. There's has been considerable growth and change since then. 

What is lacking now is direction for the next 10, 20, 50, 100 years of growth. It may be harsh of me to expect the FFA to consider a strategy for 50 - 100 years but they certainly need one for the next 10 and 20 years. 

As the A-League has grown and changed, the issues have compounded and have not been adequately dealt with or solved in the latest tenure. Being far, the last tenure of Buckley wasn't great but it spawned Western Sydney Wanderers and faced the issue of Billionaires throwing their toys out of the pram. 

I'd like to see a think tank to see what a 10 year and a 20 year strategy will provide given the current resources and circumstances available. 

They've put out a 10 (20??) year strategy a while back, and then a 5 year one last year. They were both horrible.

The "scorecard" they released last year that was meant to be a summary of the 5 year strategy was a mess. Basically, it said we hope we get good tv ratings, and we expect the national teams to play well. 

I don't remember it - but it wouldn't surprise me!

That's why I think an external think tank wouldn't be a bad idea but it would depend on who is involved in that think tank.

The Whole of Football Plan didn't even mention expansion or promotion/relegation. It was just a marketing document designed by one of the many consultants the FFA love to spend their money on.

The fact that they keep hiring consultants that have nfi about football and are just corporate consultants is a major part of the problem too.

They are trying to run the FFA and football as a business, not as football.

Football is forever dogged by politics and why in Australia will always be the little brother of the big footy codes

I wouldn't say we are where we started back in the A-League's inception. There's has been considerable growth and change since then.

What is lacking now is direction for the next 10, 20, 50, 100 years of growth. It may be harsh of me to expect the FFA to consider a strategy for 50 - 100 years but they certainly need one for the next 10 and 20 years.

As the A-League has grown and changed, the issues have compounded and have not been adequately dealt with or solved in the latest tenure. Being far, the last tenure of Buckley wasn't great but it spawned Western Sydney Wanderers and faced the issue of Billionaires throwing their toys out of the pram.

I'd like to see a think tank to see what a 10 year and a 20 year strategy will provide given the current resources and circumstances available.

yes I'm over dramatic no doubt and concede some growth has happened

yet at the same time I remember going to edensor park with the old man watching slater and Arnold 30 years ago and having 10k fans in a derby wth Marconi with a nothing budget, next to zero media exposure, half the population of today and a game that was tarnished as wogball still

30 years on Melb city spend 50 times on its operations with the greatest Socceroo ever and they get 10k to a game

Maybe a lot of change, not sure how much growth when you put into perspective

Our domestic league is sexier and has a tv deal. Also players have a PFA that is the envy of that of past generations

I'll happily debate about all other factors such as appeal, quality, player development, crowds, costs etc I

yes I'm over dramatic no doubt and concede some growth has happened

yet at the same time I remember going to edensor park with the old man watching slater and Arnold 30 years ago and having 10k fans in a derby wth Marconi with a nothing budget, next to zero media exposure, half the population of today and a game that was tarnished as wogball still

30 years on Melb city spend 50 times on its operations with the greatest Socceroo ever and they get 10k to a game

Maybe a lot of change, not sure how much growth when you put into perspective

Our domestic league is sexier and has a tv deal. Also players have a PFA that is the envy of that of past generations

I'll happily debate about all other factors such as appeal, quality, player development, crowds, costs etc I

I can't disagree with you in your statement. The only thing I can add is that we can't be surprised when the talent production line slows down or stops when we change the national football league structure in the manner that has occurred. 

To be fair to City, (I know, I know), A-League academies have not been around long at all. 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, mack said:

I'm just a dumb forum poster but shouldn't the COE have been designed to be suitable for Youth/NPL & W-League matches?

Not dumb. Absolutely correct.

Do we know when the club is going to start a women's academy alongside the boys/men?

It says they can't do A-League/W-League double headers at the stadium?

Wasn't there a WSW v Canberra W-League game right before the mens team played a couple of seasons back (the walk out game I believe)?

3 minutes ago, Davo said:

It says they can't do A-League/W-League double headers at the stadium?

Wasn't there a WSW v Canberra W-League game right before the mens team played a couple of seasons back (the walk out game I believe)?

You are correct, 29th of November was a double header involving two WSW teams.

2 hours ago, Flytox said:

Isn't that the game where the ladies had to get changed in a tent out the back?

The W-League opposition that day were the Smurf Women. Bernie Ibini's sister posted some pics on twitter as a whinge about changing in a demountable shed.

FFA never gave a **** about standards before. They didn't care when an FFA Cup match in Adelaide had Sydney FC changing in a bar/concession kitchen. Didn't care about W-League standards in the last few years.

It's just an excuse. For whatever reason they don't want CCM in the competition this year (complaints about cost?) and used the changing rooms as a nice way to deflect blame.

• 4 weeks later...

Not only that, pretty sure I read somewhere that FIFA have now told them to get ALL parties on board, not just the 75/80% vote they needed. By November. Considering they've got nothing achieved for the last 2 years, I can't see them getting this done in 4 months.

What is sure is that they will use it as an excuse to get nothing else done in that time.

15 hours ago, mack said:

So FFA's attempt to ram their governance reforms through failed, with FIFA telling them to go back to the drawing board, under threat of having a FIFA committee take over and fix it.

If it gets to the stage of installing a normalisation committee FIFA and the AFC select suitably qualified Australians to take the place of the board and run the FFA until a new constitution is adopted and a new board is elected.

• mack locked this topic