Sign in to follow this  
mack

FFA Failure: The Sunset Of David Gallop

On 11/07/2019 at 1:54 PM, hughsey said:

“The FFA board has thanked David for his significant contribution to FFA and the game and for signalling his intention early, allowing for there to be a considered search to find a suitable candidate for what will be a reshaped role in 2020.”

Can someone remind me of what positive developments occurred under his watch? 

(FFA Cup doesn’t count)

Western Sydney Wanderers started not because of him, despite him.

Caused by Palmer handing in his license and a Federal Govt Grant.

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

On 11/07/2019 at 1:54 PM, hughsey said:

“The FFA board has thanked David for his significant contribution to FFA and the game and for signalling his intention early, allowing for there to be a considered search to find a suitable candidate for what will be a reshaped role in 2020.”

That is SUCH a FLIMSY thank you, isn't it?

"Thank you for mumble mumble and for telling us 6 months in advance that you're going. We really appreciate the early notice!"

His farewell dinner ( if he has one) will be embarrassing.

35 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Western Sydney Wanderers started not because of him, despite him.

Caused by Palmer handing in his license and a Federal Govt Grant.

...regardless of the politics a big thank you to PM Julia Gillard.....who despite being an AFL devotee put that aside and put up some funds to make sure it happened.

On 11/07/2019 at 12:08 PM, wendybr said:

The brilliant thing about the A League, and clubs like ours, was that it did away with the narrow loyalties of the past, and included everyone.

All make good points here & @Carns hits the nail on the head.

On 11/07/2019 at 11:57 AM, Carns said:

It was based on fear that if the ethnic clubs showed their heritage it would lead to the bad old days of the NSL.

I feel slightly differently but almost as if they wanted to eliminate support of Football clubs based on nationality, not so that it would lead to the old NSL but so the support of Football clubs was more inclusive to a wider demographic & so those people felt an allegiance to them (ie Marconi was associated with many Italians so understandable it might not appeal to non-Italians).

Unfortunately, in doing this they’ve alienated many football clubs & people who are/were the lifeblood of the game. Instead of being about inclusiveness as it was first intended, it quickly became anything but inclusive & many felt the opposite. Covering up national flags the size of 5c coins or stopping flags from being brought into grounds (like the traveling English fans from a few years ago).

One of the many black marks on the legacy of the Lowy & Gallop reigns

On Gallop, many things had been achieved during his time at the FFA but many things happened despite of him not because of him. There were many things that occurred that were a big positive & you can’t take that away from him but too many negatives that always seemed to happen on a regular basis.

There are so many challenges involved in running Football in one way it was a poison chalice that was bound to come with speed humps along the way. Had it been any other organization, incompetence would not be rewarded with contract extensions & large pay packets.

One important note that must be considered when assessing his time in charge of the FFA was the influence of the Lowy’s. Despite an independent board, Gallop & the FFA took its lead from the board who were passive & was lead with an iron fist by the Lowy’s. In effect, many of the inadequacies & legacies were related to the Lowy’s not Gallop, think NCIP, independent A-League, one team one City A-League, basing the Sydney team out of SFS instead of Parramatta as was intially intended. 

In a last big “FU” to all his opponents before being turfed, one of the last acts was to give Gallop an extension on a mega contract, in effect forcing the new board to tolerate him. At long last we have now been ridden of one of the last remnants of the Lowy reign & sorted many of the issues that have lingered far too long in our game.

1 hour ago, Davo said:

People get a bit carried away with the whole "we need a football person thing". We need a businessman and sports administrator because that's the job, they're not going out on the pitch and kicking a ball. Just like I wouldn't want us to sign someone as a striker because they have an MBA. If ex players have no business administration experience they aren't going to make things better and would be more suited to some sort of advisory role.

The problem is we need someone who is at least a football fan. Getting an AFL or cricket guy who doesn't understand football culture is going to fail. I like the idea above of getting someone with overseas experience.

I agree it’s largely trivial if a ‘football person’ is in charge or not. However, considering the abysmal track record of ‘non-football’ people and the FFA’s strained relationship with the football community; they don’t have a choice. If they’re serious about instilling people with confidence and trust in their leadsership then something like that will go a long way as it’s been called for for ages now.

Perhaps it’s worth doing anyway so that if it doesn’t work out, the FFA can at least say they tried?

On 14/07/2019 at 9:53 AM, StringerBellend said:

He’d be my favourite for the same reason 

and the beard 

Saw Foz on the FFNT Twitter feed getting involved with NAIDOC Week football activities.  Thumbs up to him for that kind of stuff.

4 hours ago, hughsey said:

I agree with Jukes, Foz is a great bloke but his philosophy can get out of hand when he gets on a role. Case in point: the piece he delivered after the Socceroos final WC game last year sounded like he was making an address to the UN. 

I like the idea of a foreigner. Aus football is a bit of a bubble that shelters those involved. We need a football person from abroad, with no bias or ties to come in and push the envelope and take us outside of our comfort zone. Challenge the status quo.

Sepp Blatter then maybe.

4 hours ago, Ossified said:

Sepp Blatter then maybe.

I know someone that met him at a World Cup event.

He mentions to me that he was talking to Sepp, but he wasn't really interested in what he was saying. Anyway, when three beautiful women entered the room, Sepp cut this person off, apologised and said he had to be somewhere else. Walked straight up to the three women and chatted them up.

On 15/07/2019 at 6:52 PM, Unlimited said:

I know someone that met him at a World Cup event.

He mentions to me that he was talking to Sepp, but he wasn't really interested in what he was saying. Anyway, when three beautiful women entered the room, Sepp cut this person off, apologised and said he had to be somewhere else. Walked straight up to the three women and chatted them up.

He's done some shady **** in the past, but I'm ok with this. 

5 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

@mack

Just a thought for thr thread title:

FFA Failure: As David Gallops into the Sunset

My issue with the title is that it suggests we have had some element of sunshine during this reign of terror (if anything Gallop does can elicit such an emotive word). It’s more like we’ve had the darkest hour and now we’re (possibly ????) finally gonna get a dawn.

(Though we’ve thought that before)