Site Upgrade Information

Hi Everybody,

As you might have been aware, I've been working on upgrading the server & the forum software over the past few days.

This involved a duplication of the old server to a new upgraded server as there needed to be some heavy upgrades on the core server software to enable an upgrade on the forum software itself. The new version has been available since 2015, but I waited a while due to how complex these upgrades can be, and to give the new version some time to be tested by other people. We have the latest version now. There were a few hiccups but it went quite smoothly. The old version of the software going completely "end of life" with no further updates as of April 1 helped push this new upgrade along.

It is now live! As the server cutover starts and the website points to the new server more people should start coming in.While the forum software is still from the same developer, the new version is not so much "patch" to an existing piece of software, it has been completely re-coded.

As with any upgrade, some features may vanish. New ones will appear. Others will replace hacked plugins or add-ons and make them core features supported by the developers. I hope you all post about any shortcomings or requests you might have and I can investigate them. I've already done some work myself adding a few plugins for features not included automatically.

One of the major improvements is that it should make using WSF on a mobile device much easier (along with other responsive design). Other important changes for users include improved searching and a new post editor (hopefully this will be the end of troubles with attaching images or youtube videos).

Please note that when putting an image/youtube/twitter link into the new editor, to wait a few seconds as the editor will now display the embedded piece of media in the editor itself prior to your posting, unlike previously where you would insert the link and then the site would show the embedded media after making the post. If you just put the link then make the post, it will simply show the link and not embed. Donator users now have the ability to upload images to the forum itself for use in their posting.

There is also a rebuilding of the posts, articles, topics, images, databases, member details, messages, status counts, view counts, statistics etc etc etc, so if something doesn't appear right at the moment, it may be either rebuilding, or just broken. The forum is now UTF-8 compliant, this may cause certain letter/number/symbols to not look right.

Currently there are some issues regarding the topic/posts I use for our various Wanderers games and the player database. I'm looking into sorting that out. It might take some more work in the future to fix that up (will probably just require me to recode the way their forum topics are displayed).

If you have any questions feel free to ask in here, or open a new thread if required.

• mack featured this topic
6 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

You took away quotes within quotes, that was a nightmare on mobiles when you had 10-15 quotes :lol:

Especially when most of the time it was just Jack being a smartarse :P

Just click the "+" sign left of "quote"...................it's still there. lol