Squad Development 2017/18

I think Roly is an excellent signing. I have always admired his strong, aggressive, attacking style, combined with great skill and a terrific shot. This is the sort of player our club needs. Mitch (despite his effort and skill) and Jumpei, simply did not give us that dynamism.

Admittedly, the A-League did not see the best of Roly for most of last season, but in the closing games, when the path to WSW had been constructed, everyone could see him lift to the player we witnessed in previous times. I think he will become a fan favourite.

I still think Jacob Melling has a lot to give - and in a similar vein to Roly. Just a pity injury ruined his first season with us.

We still need that younger out-and-out goalscorer - almost at any cost, (and certainly not a Griffiths - that was always an insult for a club of our scale and dreaming), but at least the process has started.

38 minutes ago, Stokz said:

With Nico, he was being played out of position.

For me he would of been much more effective in the CAM role with two fast and skillful wingers (not sotirio) around him. 

Tautology - when you put the caveat "skillful" you automatically excluded Sotirio.

1 hour ago, Stokz said:

With Nico, he was being played out of position.

For me he would of been much more effective in the CAM role with two fast and skillful wingers (not sotirio) around him. 

Agreed. The little time that he spent as a CAM, he made life very difficult for the opposition. The strongest parts of his game are beating players and assists. With a competent front three in front of him he could be lethal.

The question is whether he can be truly effective in the CAM role consistently. Unfortunately we're not really in a position to tell.

Nico said himself he likes to play wide rather than be that fulcrum in the middle. It's hard to say whether he is just one of those guys who flatters to deceive, or if we could get more out of him. His career so far suggests an inability to fully realise his gifts.

Also, as lloydy said, he and Mitch didn't pan out together, so that makes it even tougher to work out what was really holding him back.

6 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

The next couple of signings will tell us whether the talk of 3 at the back is legitimate - if we don't sign a winger then we know that is what we are looking at.

If we are going to a back 3 then surely we need better cover for Clisby and Risdon. Relying on non-existent left wingback cover and Hamill/Baccus Jr for RWB is a bit of a concern.

You've got to think that building an A-league squad based on a back 3 would be tough. It requires additional CBs, puts more emphasis on difficult roles to fill like central midfielders, strikers and wide defenders who can get forward (granted their defensive abilities might not need to be as refined), and takes away the need to fill relatively easy roles like wide attackers and regular fullbacks.

Clisby and Rison probably fit the bill, but what happens if one of them goes down?

Despite people's angst with Popa never changing formation, whenever we've had quality attackers - and defenders/keepers not gifting goals! - we've done well.

9 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

If we are going to a back 3 then surely we need better cover for Clisby and Risdon. Relying on non-existent left wingback cover and Hamill/Baccus Jr for RWB is a bit of a concern.

You've got to think that building an A-league squad based on a back 3 would be tough. It requires additional CBs, puts more emphasis on difficult roles to fill like central midfielders, strikers and wide defenders who can get forward (granted their defensive abilities might not need to be as refined), and takes away the need to fill relatively easy roles like wide attackers and regular fullbacks.

Clisby and Rison probably fit the bill, but what happens if one of them goes down?

Despite people's angst with Popa never changing formation, whenever we've had quality attackers - and defenders/keepers not gifting goals! - we've done well.

If there were 5 at the back here then

Gk obvious 

Rb Risdon/Baccus jnr

Cornthwaite, Aspro, Thwaite with Hamill/ Borda or Au CB as backup 

Lb Clisby/Bandiera

2 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Agreed. The little time that he spent as a CAM, he made life very difficult for the opposition. The strongest parts of his game are beating players and assists. With a competent front three in front of him he could be lethal.

He is also a quality left footed player and didn't have a full pre season run and it will be a while before we see another quality lefty in our attacking line up, also strongly agree that with butters around his role wasn't defined which effected both guys. Popa would love him back with a quality full time striker to feed but he needs to set him in a fixed role unlike how he used a similar talent of takahagi.

Nico was more productive and effective than Butters and our J2 marquee together. What's there not to like? He came totally unfit and would be a very different player for us with a full pre season under the belt.

Roly will be a bomb. The RBB will love him, and he will love the RBB. We finally signed a player who dares to shoot *****. And he is familiar playing home games in sterile ovals...

7 minutes ago, FCB said:

Nico was more productive and effective than Butters and our J2 marquee together. What's there not to like? He came totally unfit and would be a very different player for us. 

Roly will be a bomb. The RBB will love him, and he will love the RBB. We finally signed a player who dares to shoot *****. And he is familiar playing home games in sterile ovals...

We've seriously missed that attacking mentally since Tomi left. Pairing him with a goal scoring CAM and ST could recipe for success. Certainly entertainment

10 hours ago, btron3000 said:

I think the Baccus situation is an interesting one and highlights the difficulty of building a squad in the A-league, particularly building with our own.

Not if you sign him 3 months ago when he showed he merited a contract but the club let it roll on and on now he's value is much higher cause he has such a strong second half of the season 

I'm sure he would have jumped at a 3 year deal with a small buyout xfer clause now one of the two best youth products we have brought through (Aspro the other) could walk for free 

amateur hour 

3 months ago was Feb 17, which was only 2 weeks after he got charged with the assault. It hadn't been playing okay for very long.

Baccus improved this season, but he still hasn't done anything massively impressive. He only has a couple of assists, no goals. He was an improvement over Pinatares & Dimas, but he also had Antonis helping him look good.

I meant goals being the stat what wins you games but anyway.

Rounds 1-14: 2 Wins - 8 Draws - 4 Losses - 14 Points

Rounds 14-27 (12 Games): 6 Wins - 4 Draws - 3 Losses - 22 Points

It's an improvement but not a particularly drastic one. We also bought in Antonis & Janjetovic so picking Baccus as the cause of that isn't easily quantifiable. Baccus also played reasonably regularly in that first 14 games as well.

Depending on the foreign midfielders and what if any new Australian midfielders we pickup, Baccus will still need to fight for his position next season.

Guest Jefski

They should raise the bar and go after someone like Van Persie. He still has a few years left in him, can score goals and would be a massive draw card for the Wanderers and the A-League. It would be Del Piero all over again. Every second kid will have a WSW jersey with Van Persie on the back. He also puts bums on seats.

15 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Not if you sign him 3 months ago when he showed he merited a contract but the club let it roll on and on now he's value is much higher cause he has such a strong second half of the season 

I'm sure he would have jumped at a 3 year deal with a small buyout xfer clause now one of the two best youth products we have brought through (Aspro the other) could walk for free 

amateur hour 

I like Baccus but he is not a youth product we brought through.

We signed him at 22/23.

You need to be playing for the club from at least 15/16 to be considered our youth product.

23 minutes ago, Stokz said:

I like Baccus but he is not a youth product we brought through.

We signed him at 22/23.

You need to be playing for the club from at least 15/16 to be considered our youth product.

he played youth league for us. that's enough. we're only a young club with an even younger academy. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic