Squad Development 2017/18

5 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Don't know how anyone can make a judgement on a player they've never seen play before. Stats only tell a fraction of the story.

Whomever we sign, we all judge them on the pitch on their determination, heart, output and results. Simple as that.

The individual who provided the lead / introduction, appears to know the Spanish leagues rather well. It was the same source that provided us with Andreu & has been a successful coach in his own right.

99% of foreigners coming here are a gamble because their form is lacking the consistency to secure a position at a better club in a better league. If you could guarantee they'd be brilliant, they wouldn't be coming here in the first place. We all love the aleague but let's not forget it's place in the pecking order. 

16 minutes ago, Pup55 said:

Sorry Taurus.

Think you're being a bit precious mate.

You tease us with information and clues, and when someone (me) takes those clues and finds the answer, they should now be careful with what information they post publicly?

That'll do me.

Dw, I won't make the same mistake again. 

Image result for images of my lips are sealed

7 minutes ago, Erebus said:

I'm referring to comments I've seen here and elsewhere with stuff like "seems like a great/good signing!"

Based on what? lol

people said the same about Jumpei btw.. :unsure:

And Saba and Pio and.. and.. ....

Pio had me worried when he missed that penalty in the FFA cup, one of the worst you could ever see and he didn't slip....

Edited by beatsurrender

A Spaniard with plenty of La Liga experience, or a Bulut - who would we prefer? If the new man can do a Castro imitation as No 9 then we'll be laughing. 

Popa maintains that Saba was the most gifted football player he has coached at the WSW.

Pio was the most accomplished of the four imports to join us in S4, but what do you do if a player leaves their heart and ambition behind in Europe?

Jumpei was always going to be mediocre at best. Some just dream too much of Popa project players who turn from **** to gold on the Blacktown training ground. 

7 hours ago, T1m said:

You should use goals per minute not goals per game.

If a player plays 5 minutes every game of the year (27 games) and maybe scores 1 goal.  They have a GPG ratio of 0.04 but a MPG of 135 which is decent.

That puts Santalab up near the top for the past two seasons: season 16/17 84.5 minutes per goal.  Maclaren got 115.5.

I don't like using goals per minute because it inflates the value of players who aren't playing 90 minutes. Fornaroli gets a goal every 125 minutes. Santalab's A-League minutes per goal rate is 127. It makes them look similar when Fornaroli is a much better player.

Is it useful? Yes for things like finding players who are being underutilised (ie, a young striker/winger/attacking mid), but not when you're looking for a striker to play week in week out for 90 minutes.

8 minutes ago, mack said:

I don't like using goals per minute because it inflates the value of players who aren't playing 90 minutes. Fornaroli gets a goal every 125 minutes. Santalab's A-League minutes per goal rate is 127. It makes them look similar when Fornaroli is a much better player.

Is it useful? Yes for things like finding players who are being underutilised (ie, a young striker/winger/attacking mid), but not when you're looking for a striker to play week in week out for 90 minutes.

Assists are also an important factor, demonstrates link-up play as not every team play the same style.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Edited by beatsurrender
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic