Squad Development 2017/18

You know the player is awesome when the first clip is him beating 1 player then having the ball taken off him for a corner, the second is a dribble where he goes backwards, and the 3rd is a dribble that beats no-one, the first shot is from 35 yards out and the keeper saves it, and the second one is going off target but the keeper tips it out for a corner anyway.

30 minutes ago, Alexander said:

It has everything you'd want in a random South American player's highlights video:

1. The video is needlessly long. Highlighted by the FOUR replays of a dive 

2. The background music is all over the place

3. The stadium is surprisingly empty

4. The player is one-footed

5. Footage filmed with potato, best viewed in stunning 144p quality

10 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Western Sydney remain keen on re-signing both for next season, but can’t offer the size of transfer fee likely to be sought by both Greek clubs for a permanent move.

Can't offer and won't offer are 2 different things 

I remember when Victory paid a fee from Carlos Hernandez - so it's happened before 

but when you're sitting signing twaite I think we can forget all about that  

Jesus Christ what is wrong with you guys?! The European season isn't even over, yet you're pissing and moaning because we've signed Borda's replacement!

If we haven't re-signed or replaced Antonis and added some decent attacking prowess by the time the new European season starts then yeah, start complaining. But we're not going to sign anyone before they've even finished this season!

41 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Jesus Christ what is wrong with you guys?! The European season isn't even over, yet you're pissing and moaning because we've signed Borda's replacement!

If we haven't re-signed or replaced Antonis and added some decent attacking prowess by the time the new European season starts then yeah, start complaining. But we're not going to sign anyone before they've even finished this season!

Welcome to squad development 

12 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

THE rebuilding of Western Sydney’s squad for next season has begun in earnest with former Socceroos defender Michael Thwaite understood to have signed a one-year deal.

Thwaite, who has been clubless since leaving Chinese side Liaoning Whowin at the end of the last transfer window, is expected to be announced this week, ultimately as a replacement for Spanish defender Artiz Borda.

Thwaite, 34, returns to the A-League after stints with Melbourne Victory, Gold Coast and Perth Glory, the latter of whom he was captain.

He will offer competition for the centreback roles filled in the second-half of last season by Jonathan Aspropotamitis and Robert Cornthwaite, after Borda lost his place.

The Spaniard is contracted for another season but is likely to be offered a deal to terminate his contract, following the eight players released last week.

Negotiations continue over the futures of on-loan duo Nicolas Martinez and Terry Antonis, both of whom are in the process of returning to their respective parent clubs, Olympiakos and PAOK.

Western Sydney remain keen on re-signing both for next season, but can’t offer the size of transfer fee likely to be sought by both Greek clubs for a permanent move.

The Spaniard is contracted for another season but is likely to be offered a deal to terminate his contract, following the eight players released last week.

:good:

This is the best off season news we've ever had.

NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers contracted Hyundai A-League squad:

Goalkeepers: Vedran Janjetovic, Jerrad Tyson

Defenders: Jonathan Aspropotamitis, Keanu Baccus, Aritz Borda, Jack Clisby, Robert Cornthwaite, Brendan Hamill, Josh Risdon, Michael Thwaite 

Midfielders: Roly Bonevacia, Steven Lustica, Jacob Melling 

Attackers: Jumpei Kusukami, Brendon Santalab, Lachlan Scott, Jaushua Sotirio 

Ok - we're not looking bad at the back. Moving forward from Roly ... hmmm

We lacked our Token this season. This has been remedied now.

Roly and Risdon are 2 year deals.

Thwaite 1 year.

I can see Thwaite being used for cover for the CBs and possibly DM. Can't see Aspro or Corn being dropped.

Sort out Antonis and re-sign #AssaultBaccus and we're looking ok.

Just need to find that quality foreign winger and striker and possibly a proper no.10.

I think Roly will do OK. He is used to the league and although he sometimes seems to lack a bit of enthusiasm I am sure that won't be an issue with Popa around. If it is then the Saba/Pio treatment will be in place by Xmas...

Edited by beatsurrender
35 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

I think Roly will do OK. He is used to the league and although he sometimes seems to lack a bit of enthusiasm I am sure that won't be an issue with Popa around. If it is then the Saba/Pio treatment will be in place by Xmas...

He'd have to know what expected before he signed up...pull your finger out or its laps by yourself for two years

So far our squad is full of middling, mediocre and some just plain awful (Hamill, Sotirio) players. Only Santalab and maybe Aspro & Vedran are above-average for the league. 

If Borda sticks around saying "you gave me a 2 year deal, I'm staying" then we're going to be mid-table again unless we sign Messi & Ronaldo.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic