Sydney FC: Season 2017/18

7 hours ago, matty said:

So Sydney look pretty damn good already. 

Their Polish international looks as good as Ninkovic, worrying signs. 

Starting XI looks good.

Squad depth is the question.

Bench was Matt Simon, David Carney, Paolo Retre, Ryall and Heward-Belle. The only other player they have signed and not played, other than youth team promotions, is Alex Cisak

8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Starting XI looks good.

Squad depth is the question.

Bench was Matt Simon, David Carney, Paolo Retre, Ryall and Heward-Belle. The only other player they have signed and not played, other than youth team promotions, is Alex Cisak

Of course, although they're bench was good too - their biggest strength is the culture Arnie is instilling. 

Anything short of injuries to Ninkovic AND probably Mierzejewski means another Grand Final appearance for mine. 

Big call but they're looking better than I'd like. 

They'll falter. Last year was a dream. Started well, barely hit the skids, no injuries etc. 

Arnie is already going on about this team being better. When they clearly aren't, everyone will be able to see right through the illusion, even the Cove. A nice case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Brosque hurt, Grant hurt, Simon another year older, Carney fat. But the biggest loss of all - Vukovic. 

The only thing saving them from a big drop is that none of their main competitors, except us, has improved much.

33 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I won't be willing to write them off just yet...

They have an incredibly strong first XI and they may bring in ACL only players this year instead to bolster squad.

They looked the goods against city (although city were diabolical) and will go into the season with strong form.

Agree. But if they have to start resorting to their squaddies things Won't be as rosy.

Apparently, they lost to Brisbane Roar 0-2 with their squaddies. The Roar still not with their full squad

Edited by Paul01
Added info

It'll be interesting to see whether they go all out in the ACL. Historically we seem to be the only club that takes the competition into account during recruiting (getting an Asian player, signing ACL only players, having a deep squad rotated in the lead up etc).

The smurfs have one visa spot available so they could still sign their +1 but they have a super thin squad and they haven't signed ACL only players in the past so a couple of injuries could screw them.

16 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Wouldn't write them off, they are probably still top 3. But the idea they're as good as last year is laughable.

Also, we've seen how easy it is to get good ACL only players. How many decent players want to play in one half of one competition for half a season?

Laughable? What makes them so terrible? 

They've also lost Rhyan Grant for the season, who had the best season of his career last year. Wilkshere is a more than adequate replacement, providing he can last week in, week out in Australian conditions (hard pitches, the heat etc.).

Ibini and Dimitrejevic off the bench will be missed too.

It will be a tougher season with the schedule too. They'll be up there, but can't imagine them running away with it like last year.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Laughable? What makes them so terrible? 

Perhaps I should have written "the idea they'll be as good" rather than "are as good". As in, there's no way they equal their record.

First, all their Aussie vets - Brosque, Carney, Simon etc. - are a year older. Brosque already injured.

Second, last year they had a great run with injuries. Even Wilkshire, who is probably technically superior to Grant, won't be able to match his motor for the whole game.

Third, ACL commitments.

Fourth, luck was with them last year.

Fifth - Vukovic. His form was the equal of any keeper ever in the A-league, and his personality at the back was huge. At the moment they've got good old uncertain Redmayne. MASSIVE difference.

They'll be good, but I just can't see how anyone - outside whingey mcwhingeface Arnie - could predict them matching last year's record breaking year.

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

They benefited from most (all?) other teams being a basketcase for much of the season. They hit the ground running and never really slipped up too much, but none really challenged either. Those types of seasons don't happen very regularly (look at the season before where 5 teams could still win the plate with a couple of weeks to go).

I agree with most, smurfs look similar to last year.

They have improved in 

The polish dude is probably a step up from

However this is cancelled by 

- goalkeeper is an issue,

- losing ibini means they have stuff all on the bench apart from the wizard of woy woy

- they have a few players getting on

- acl will take its toll

Unfortunately they will be top 3 again, but I think we look much stronger than last year and will challenge. We have more depth in squad but they have squeezed squad numbers to effectively have 3 marquees

3 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Perhaps I should have written "the idea they'll be as good" rather than "are as good". As in, there's no way they equal their record.

First, all their Aussie vets - Brosque, Carney, Simon etc. - are a year older. Brosque already injured.

Second, last year they had a great run with injuries. Even Wilkshire, who is probably technically superior to Grant, won't be able to match his motor for the whole game.

Third, ACL commitments.

Fifth - Vukovic. His form was the equal of any keeper ever in the A-league, and his personality at the back was huge. At the moment they've got good old uncertain Redmayne. MASSIVE difference.

They'll be good, but I just can't see how anyone - outside whingey mcwhingeface Arnie - could predict them matching last year's record breaking year.

I mostly agree btron, I never said they'll  equal their record of last year, just that they look very good again, unfortunately. 

Having a thinner squad means a few injuries could make a big difference, here's hoping. 

Btw, they have Cisak in goals who will probably be an improvement on  Redmayne 

8 minutes ago, matty said:

Btw, they have Cisak in goals who will probably be an improvement on  Redmayne 

Cisak is in the squad, but Redmayne has started every pre season (and FFA cup) game this season. It seems the #1 is Redmayne's to lose. The GK coach has known Redmayne for years and probably thinks he can make him a success.

10 minutes ago, Carns said:

Cisak is in the squad, but Redmayne has started every pre season (and FFA cup) game this season. It seems the #1 is Redmayne's to lose. The GK coach has known Redmayne for years and probably thinks he can make him a success.

Isn't that what Kalacs thought when Vukovic reneged on his handshake deal with Popa?

In Redmayne's first season with us, he was shielded by Alberto and NTS plus a motivated Neville and Jamo plus Andreu as a DM and Dimas

Unfortunately, he has Wiltshire, Wilkinson, Buijs and Zullo at the back. Smurfs also have Brillante and O'Neill so he may be well shielded at full strength.

17 hours ago, Carns said:

They've also lost Rhyan Grant for the season, who had the best season of his career last year. Wilkshere is a more than adequate replacement, providing he can last week in, week out in Australian conditions (hard pitches, the heat etc.).

Ibini and Dimitrejevic off the bench will be missed too.

It will be a tougher season with the schedule too. They'll be up there, but can't imagine them running away with it like last year.

the best season of his career was pretty much handed to him. if he played for any other team he would have played only half a season due to suspension.  he's a grub. a lucky one at that.

1 minute ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

the best season of his career was pretty much handed to him. if he played for any other team he would have played only half a season due to suspension.  he's a grub. a lucky one at that.

Agreed. How he got selected for the Socceroos still baffles me. I guess it highlights the lack of first choice options Postecoglou has for the position.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

They have a new CEO.

Who doesn't start until October. Decision was not made by him.

I read through the comments and they're waiting on a response from the club, and they approached the new CEO, who said he would investigate it too.

Seems very short sighted. Surely getting kids interested in the team will only lead to their parents (and eventually themselves) spending more money on the club.