Melbourne City: Season 2017/18

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Ramy Najjarine.

Taurus can tell us if he just another Kuz

Pretty accurate description. 

He was offered a 2 year deal with WSW around Christmas, but his agent told him he'd lined up a 3 month trial with a 1st division European club.

Despite him being convinced he would be training with the 1st squad, kid was training with their youth (u18's) so returned home about 2 - 3 months ago. 

He can play, but doesn't always play a team game.

I'm more disappointed that we didn't snag John Roberts, who is a Mt Druitt youngster & has been playing #9 for COE & Joeys last 2 years. CFG will find a career path for that lad.  

7 hours ago, Taurus said:

Pretty accurate description. 

He was offered a 2 year deal with WSW around Christmas, but his agent told him he'd lined up a 3 month trial with a 1st division European club.

Despite him being convinced he would be training with the 1st squad, kid was training with their youth (u18's) so returned home about 2 - 3 months ago. 

He can play, but doesn't always play a team game.

I'm more disappointed that we didn't snag John Roberts, who is a Mt Druitt youngster & has been playing #9 for COE & Joeys last 2 years. CFG will find a career path for that lad.  

I watched some of the Joeys games in the AFF stream and Roberts did not impress.

1 minute ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Interesting he seemed pretty happy to get out of there when he went to Adelaide 

another aussie boy comes back this one only 12 months after going 

NEC got relegated and he got next to no game time.

So when these oilmongers bought Cahill, they signed him as Guest, but at the time they said he will move under the cap this year, right? And then Year 3 he'd be a part-time coach or some crap. At the time I bet they were thinking that they'd move him under the cap, sign two marquees and another Guest, and effectively have 4 marquees.

But now it's pretty clear that no-one else will qualify for this Guest spot, even though we don't know what the criteria is. It seems that anyone who would qualify AND come here would be about 47 years old.

So... does that mean they now have Cahill taking up a cap spot and won't be able to get another dude in? Or will they somehow move him back to guest? And if they didn't get any additional crowds last year how can he qualify as a Guest??

So many questions.

I don't think it's as dodgy as the Caceres loan. That was pure bullshit. Manchester City bought him from Mariners, gave him a huge sign-on bonus (which wouldn't be counted in the cap) but minimum wages (which are counted in the cap), and then loaned him to Melbourne City where he took up a much smaller part of the cap than he would have if they did it legit.

NEC would have paid him a proper wage, so they would all count under the cap.

9 hours ago, mack said:

City have apparently offered a contract to Zlatan.

Presumably as their fourth marquee.

Hilarious that FFA remove the Tim Cahill Guest Rule just at the time that it could actually be used. To think that all that money was spent on Cahill and at the end of the day the end result was pretty much break even. Well, at least city can afford it!