Wellington Phoenix: Season 2017/18

7 hours ago, mack said:

Fans protested the board. Had a "sack the board" banner. I suspect they can see the writing on the wall unless there are massive changes at the club.

Can we borrow it when they are done with it? 

There's nothing Wellington can do. They'll always be hard work for themselves and the rest of the league because of their set up.

Geographically they're a pain in the ass and as the only team in a country with little interest in the sport; they'll never achieve tv rights that cover their participation in the league. Even if they were to generate stronger, more permanent interest that takes time and they don't have time, though ironically they've had the last 12 years to get it together and haven't. Achieving these #metrics doesn't guarantee their survival anyway so why are the club and owners going to pour major funds and resources into the operation? It's just one monotonous cycle.

IMO there are only 2 things that could possibly throw them a lifeline though they're things outside their control:

• NZ joining the AFC
  • Additional NZ team(s), therefore giving them power in numbers for tv rights (though if one NZ team hasn't worked then why would another?)

Neither of these things is happening anytime soon, if at all, so cut them free and stop prolonging the inevitable. That's the only realistic solution, if you could call it that...

35 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I’ll miss em when they are gone, although that game they had with Blake Powell smashing goals in from all angles was a low point in wanderers history 

I won't miss them. They were never a team I would ever really watch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nux manager resigns, will leave at the end of the season (seems stupid for him to stick around IMO).

WELLINGTON Phoenix will part ways with head coach Darije Kalezic at the end of the season.

With just six games left in the home and away season, and the Phoenix languishing at the bottom of the table, the Phoenix confirmed Kalezic’s planned departure in a statement.

“Head Coach of the Wellington Phoenix, Darije Kalezic, wishes to announce that he will not be continuing as Head Coach of the club next season,” the Phoenix said in the statement.

“The parties were not able to find a mutual agreement on how to proceed forward and because of this have decided to move in separate directions.

“Darije wishes the best for the Club and fans in the seasons to come.”

Kalezic joined the Phoenix ahead of the 2017/18 season.

But his time at the helm has been besieged by drama.

Key signing Dario Vidosic and his father Rado — who was Kalezic’s assistant coach — quit the club in December.

Midfielder Gui Finkler also departed the club early.

The Phoenix currently sit at the bottom of the table with just four wins, 17 points and a goal difference of -18 to their name.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/wellington-phoenix-and-coach-darije-kalezic-will-part-ways-at-the-end-of-the-aleague-season/news-story/d12bc4675d44564923deb50da3e358b8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They are a dead club walking. The owners aren't going to spend anything but the minimum, and they lost their chance at a boutique stadium.

I think even their fans are resigned to next year being their last. I dount there's going to be a rich saviour or any difference in their performance next year barring a miracle.

If next  year is their last year, then why even bother at all? Just ship them to another location for next season and we can have effectively 3 new teams in a year or so.

Since there's going to be a dozen EOI for expansion, looks like they'll be looking seriously at 3 teams not 2. Nix don't have much longer in this world.

I just had a look (was on my phone before) and apparently it's not next year, it's the year after. So 2019/20 which is the first season the two new clubs will be in. That link above the owner says his group are going to keep the club going until the license is cancelled or they sell it.

FFA are just going to run out the clock mostly for legal reasons. Why rock the boat. They have owners who will pay the costs to keep the club going, FFA don't have to repeat what happened with NQF & GCU where they were stuck with costs and then scrambling to create WSW. They already have a dozen bids for two licenses, and a 3rd spot opening up could mean they can put a bid that isn't their favoured (Cronulla & 2nd Brisbane) one, but one that would make people happy (Tasmania, Canberra, Wollongong Wolves).

• mack unpinned this topic