A-League & 2nd Tier Expansion Thread V2

27 minutes ago, matty said:

Absolutely. They'll be the Heart of Sydney

Plus split the smurfs attendance making the business case for rebuilding Sydney Football Stadium irrelevant, as if it was wasn’t already.

1 hour ago, luisenrique said:

Oh look, the FFA are delaying a decision again.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-delay-a-league-expansion-shortlist

Normally Deloitte would be to blame for this because they should either know that bids might require additional information and have factored this into their timing, or if it is just a "first cut" so bids can decide if they spend even more money on applying then there should be super strict regulations about getting all the required information together on time.  But this also has the smell of the FFA realising that their preferred bid didn't supply enough information.  I mean, if Canberra bid and they didn't supply enough info, you know the FFA would happily rule them out.

But how can you not have released the criteria, or even the cost of the licence? How can teams work out financials if they don't know the basic cost to buy a licence in the first place?

8 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Normally Deloitte would be to blame for this because they should either know that bids might require additional information and have factored this into their timing, or if it is just a "first cut" so bids can decide if they spend even more money on applying then there should be super strict regulations about getting all the required information together on time.  But this also has the smell of the FFA realising that their preferred bid didn't supply enough information.  I mean, if Canberra bid and they didn't supply enough info, you know the FFA would happily rule them out.

But how can you not have released the criteria, or even the cost of the licence? How can teams work out financials if they don't know the basic cost to buy a licence in the first place?

It doesn’t look good normally in these processes you allow time in the plan for this, set aside a couple of weeks for additional questions and clarifications, so all bidders have same timeline and requirements.

This would get slammed if it was for example a government tender 

This has the optics of the bid we want didn’t give us what we want so we will go and ask for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

10 franchises selected:

United for Macarthur (Campbelltown)

South-Western Sydney FC

Southern Expansion (Sutherland, St George and Wollongong)

Wollongong Wolves 

Team 11 (Dandenong)

Western Melbourne (Geelong)

South Melbourne 

Western Pride (Ipswich)

Canberra & Capital Region

Brisbane City

----

No Tassie, and all from the Eastern states.

Almost guarantee another Sydney team. Second pick? Melbourne/Victoria or either QLD bid.

5 minutes ago, MajorMelons said:

My tips for inclusion:

1) western melbourne

2) MacArthur and south west sydney combine into 1 strong bid. 

Wow I thought Macarthur and South West were one and the same especially with all the adverts around the Cambelltown area. They should combine and would agree with those teams.

Wish it was 4 instead of 2 cause they could change the round robin to only a home and away tie and have a combine 28 games not including finals instead of the three games for every team we have now.

14 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Wow I thought Macarthur and South West were one and the same especially with all the adverts around the Cambelltown area. They should combine and would agree with those teams.

Wish it was 4 instead of 2 cause they could change the round robin to only a home and away tie and have a combine 28 games not including finals instead of the three games for every team we have now.

One of the Campbelltown bids is supposed to be assisted by one of people in management or board level at Sydney United.

Absolute farce that 3 Sydney bids are all in the reckoning & a bid like Tasmania ignored.

Lets be honest: (1) A Sydney team will be included for the “metrics” (2) Southern NSW will be included due to the political pull & financial clout by the overseas backers eliminating Wollongong.

If they had 16 viable bids, they all should have been included for a second division which is to start 2020

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Absolute farce that 3 Sydney bids are all in the reckoning & a bid like Tasmania ignored.

Lets be honest: (1) A Sydney team will be included for the “metrics” (2) Southern NSW will be included due to the political pull & financial clout by the overseas backers eliminating Wollongong.

If they had 16 viable bids, they all should have been included for a second division which is to start 2020

Prydz

If taking about vision, you've forgotten that Timmy took it away.

Seriously though with ultra conservative and highly threatened Lowy in charge together with seriously conservative CEO Gallop, the FFA would never contemplate such a bold move.

On 30/06/2018 at 7:23 AM, MajorMelons said:

I don’t get the love for Tasmania bid. Even if it stands up on its own, there is no way it is one of the top two bids, so may as well cull it now. 

The issue with the Tasmania bid was that it depended on the Women’s World Cup bid succeeding for a new stadium. That is why it is discounted.

Why the love for Tasmania? Same reason for love for Wollongong, Canberra etc. People need a team to support, if the bid has a green light in terms of its financial viability/backing & sound business case, then no reason it should be discounted. Football should not just be about teams in capital cities, it’s so much more than that...

19 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The issue with the Tasmania bid was that it depended on the Women’s World Cup bid succeeding for a new stadium. That is why it is discounted.

Why the love for Tasmania? Same reason for love for Wollongong, Canberra etc. People need a team to support, if the bid has a green light in terms of its financial viability/backing & sound business case, then no reason it should be discounted. Football should not just be about teams in capital cities, it’s so much more than that...

..... You also forgot would be good for an away game

The fact the AFL haven't expanded to Tasmania is a warning sign for me. The amount of attention they give the place without setting up shop makes me curious. Apparently they had a VFL team there from 2001-08 and it failed miserably. 

Nothing would have saved Tasmania’s A-League bid, proponents say (article from Mercury paper, paywalled so copied it here).

A NEW, purpose-built, world-class rectangular stadium would not have resulted in FC Tasmania’s bid making it to the FFA’s shortlist for A-League expansion, proponents believe.

On Friday, FFA cut the list from 15 to 10 for the two expansion spots, and Tasmania missed out. Of the 10 on the short list, four were from NSW, three from Victoria, two from Queensland and one from Canberra.

Some believe the lack of a rectangular stadium was a reason, but consortium spokeswoman Victoria Morton does not believe this is the case.

“Yes it would be wonderful and I’m sure it would help immensely, but I don’t believe that it made a huge difference,” Morton said.

“I don’t think it mattered how good our bid was, they were never going to look at us seriously unfortunately.

“It was all about expanding on the mainland and we’ve always­ been told Foxtel wanted it that way so maybe it was more about money and less about football than it should be.

“We didn’t really get an exact explanation, but if you look at what they have said the entire time they would fish where the fish are — expansion in the big cities.

“To be fair to FFA they have stuck to their word.”

Morton said she had been in contact with the bid’s backer, Melbourne millionaire Harry Stamoulis, with a guarantee that he was committed to the cause as FFA has said there would be further expansion in the future.

“We haven’t given up, we are going to keep fighting for the cause and Harry Stamoulis is not going away or going to another bid, he’s committed to Tasmania and that’s brilliant for us,” she said.

“We haven’t given up hope, that’s for sure, and we will continue to push the cause for Tasmania and the kids of Tasmania so they get a fair go.”

There is still the prospect of a lot of change on the domestic football front.

The future and governance of FFA is expected to be known by October, while Football Federation Tasmania will meet with FFA and other member foundations on July 26 to discuss the creation of the B-League, a second-tier competition under the A-League.

“The exciting thing for Tasmania is if we had one of each,” Morton said. “There is a lot of water under the bridge before we give up hope.”

1 hour ago, mack said:

Nothing would have saved Tasmania’s A-League bid, proponents say (article from Mercury paper, paywalled so copied it here).

A NEW, purpose-built, world-class rectangular stadium would not have resulted in FC Tasmania’s bid making it to the FFA’s shortlist for A-League expansion, proponents believe.

On Friday, FFA cut the list from 15 to 10 for the two expansion spots, and Tasmania missed out. Of the 10 on the short list, four were from NSW, three from Victoria, two from Queensland and one from Canberra.

Some believe the lack of a rectangular stadium was a reason, but consortium spokeswoman Victoria Morton does not believe this is the case.

“Yes it would be wonderful and I’m sure it would help immensely, but I don’t believe that it made a huge difference,” Morton said.

“I don’t think it mattered how good our bid was, they were never going to look at us seriously unfortunately.

“It was all about expanding on the mainland and we’ve always­ been told Foxtel wanted it that way so maybe it was more about money and less about football than it should be.

“We didn’t really get an exact explanation, but if you look at what they have said the entire time they would fish where the fish are — expansion in the big cities.

“To be fair to FFA they have stuck to their word.”

Morton said she had been in contact with the bid’s backer, Melbourne millionaire Harry Stamoulis, with a guarantee that he was committed to the cause as FFA has said there would be further expansion in the future.

“We haven’t given up, we are going to keep fighting for the cause and Harry Stamoulis is not going away or going to another bid, he’s committed to Tasmania and that’s brilliant for us,” she said.

“We haven’t given up hope, that’s for sure, and we will continue to push the cause for Tasmania and the kids of Tasmania so they get a fair go.”

There is still the prospect of a lot of change on the domestic football front.

The future and governance of FFA is expected to be known by October, while Football Federation Tasmania will meet with FFA and other member foundations on July 26 to discuss the creation of the B-League, a second-tier competition under the A-League.

“The exciting thing for Tasmania is if we had one of each,” Morton said. “There is a lot of water under the bridge before we give up hope.”

Think outside the box.....

Their bid failed cos they had a VICTORIA Morton as their spokesperson!!!!! Couldn't they have hired a Burnie or an Arthur!!! Maria???!!!!!! FFS!!!!! 

:nono:

"think outside the box"....get it??!!   GET IT??!!!

:crazy:

• 1 month later...

The battle to land new A-League licences has taken a major twist, with two of the three Sydney bid teams joining forces in an effort to secure their future in an expanded national competition.

South West Sydney Football Club and United for Macarthur were among the 10 aspirants shortlisted by Football Federation Australia five weeks ago, as were Southern Expansion, an entity seeking to represent the area spanning from the St George region down to Wollongong.

However, Fairfax Media has learnt that the South West Sydney and Macarthur hopefuls have decided to combine and form what will effectively be a super bid for a start in the A-League for the 2019-20 season and beyond.

The deal has been cloaked in secrecy. South West Sydney director Gino Marra declined to comment when contacted on Sunday and calls to United for Macarthur bid chairman Chris Redman were not returned.

But it is understood FFA are likely to be informed about it by Monday and an official announcement is expected to follow soon after.

The amalgamation shapes as a significant development in the expansion process as FFA looks to spread the wings of the national competition 13 years after it was formed.

The joint venture will be pitted directly against the Southern Expansion group in a head-to-head contest to be named as the city’s third A-League club alongside Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers.

The merger is being seen by those with knowledge of it as a common sense move given that the bid teams had shared territory and both had visions of playing their home games at an upgraded Campbelltown Stadium if they were successful in their applications. There are other synergies with both also backed by local associations and favouring a community model. The community would be consulted on the team name and colours.

Behind it is serious financial clout, with billionaire Walker Corporation executive chairman Lang Walker having announced in June that he and his organisation would be financially supporting the Macarthur bid. It is understood his backing would transfer to the merged entity.

“If successful, Walker Constructions will become a strategic partner of the A-League team, and also have substantial input in the upgrade of the stadium, other local sporting facilities and football clubs in the region,” Walker Corporation said in a statement in June.

“Sydney’s south-west is growing rapidly and has the facilities in place, with the centerpiece being Campbelltown Sports Stadium, to quickly become a force in the A-League.”

The Southern Expansion bid is not short on financial muscle either. It is backed by Chinese property company JiaYuan Group and has established a link with Chinese Super League club Guizhou Hengfeng. The bid team is fronted by former NSW premier Morris Iemma and broadcaster and former Socceroos midfielder Craig Foster.

The south-west deal comes with would-be expansion sides across the country having less than four weeks to finalise their bid documents by the August 31 deadline.

It leaves nine bids in the running to be given the green light by FFA for a start in the A-League, the others being Southern Expansion, Wollongong Wolves, a Victorian outfit called Team 11, Western Melbourne Group, South Melbourne, Western Pride/Ipswich, Brisbane City and Canberra.

A final decision is anticipated by FFA by October and an expanded 12-team competition would begin next year.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-bid-teams-shake-up-a-league-expansion-battle-by-joining-forces-20180805-p4zvmu.html

Could be a serious rival to Southern Expansion? I personally think a team in SW Sydney is inevitable, but originally thought it was 5-10 years away.

On 08/08/2018 at 6:46 PM, matty said:

Hope they get in, makes sense. Would be a bit of a natural rival 

Just think it is a bit premature. The population boom in the next 5-10 years will be incredible with the Badgery’s Creek airport fueling growth & Sydney’s demand for new housing developments & estates. In the current stadium plans, the government has budgeted a new stadium for SW Sydney which the team could play. As you say, will be a great rivalry.

At this point in time, there are so many areas crying out for a team to represent them at a national level. Melbourne & Brisbane desperately need a new team with a separate identity to the other rivals. Canberra & Wollongong are both great shouts but unsure it will bring the necessary “metrics” the FFA are looking at.

Southern (NSW) Expansion should be discounted because they have no identity. Trying to represent south sydney to Canberra is just a fail. Just no.

All these teams are deserving & are in need of a team now, not in 5-10 years. In saying that, the combined bid will be incredibly strong & force them to seriously consider them entering the competition (remember FFA get a bonus from Foxsports if the expansion team is in Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney and maybe Canberra?)

I haven't changed my mind that the FFA have already pre-selected Southern Expansion because they'll get a huge pile of money that's already sitting in a bank account ready to transfer. I'm less convinced their stadium will ever be built at least within the first 5 to 10 years of the clubs existence.

I'm starting to believe the most likely 2nd club is the West Melbourne/Werribee/Wyndham team.

3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Just think it is a bit premature. The population boom in the next 5-10 years will be incredible with the Badgery’s Creek airport fueling growth & Sydney’s demand for new housing developments & estates. In the current stadium plans, the government has budgeted a new stadium for SW Sydney which the team could play. As you say, will be a great rivalry.

At this point in time, there are so many areas crying out for a team to represent them at a national level. Melbourne & Brisbane desperately need a new team with a separate identity to the other rivals. Canberra & Wollongong are both great shouts but unsure it will bring the necessary “metrics” the FFA are looking at.

Southern (NSW) Expansion should be discounted because they have no identity. Trying to represent south sydney to Canberra is just a fail. Just no.

All these teams are deserving & are in need of a team now, not in 5-10 years. In saying that, the combined bid will be incredibly strong & force them to seriously consider them entering the competition (remember FFA get a bonus from Foxsports if the expansion team is in Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney and maybe Canberra?)

Not sure you could say Melbourne or Brisbane need a new team anymore than Sydney? (meaningful identity is a given for any new club). 

I agree that Canberra and Wollongong are the ones I'd most like to see but it won't happen

#metrics

I’d like to see South Melbourne and Wollongong, If southern expansion want In then they should be willing to play NSW NPL first.

same with team 11 if they want a team then they can put one in NPL Vic. 

Edited by StringerBellend
18 hours ago, mack said:

I haven't changed my mind that the FFA have already pre-selected Southern Expansion because they'll get a huge pile of money that's already sitting in a bank account ready to transfer. I'm less convinced their stadium will ever be built at least within the first 5 to 10 years of the clubs existence.

I'm starting to believe the most likely 2nd club is the West Melbourne/Werribee/Wyndham team.

Very true points but still very likely they get up. Apparently the FFA have vetted all bids they’d have the money to pay & viable going forward. Although the stadium & academy proposal is a very impressive aspect.

16 hours ago, matty said:

Not sure you could say Melbourne or Brisbane need a new team anymore than Sydney? (meaningful identity is a given for any new club). 

I agree that Canberra and Wollongong are the ones I'd most like to see but it won't happen

#metrics

Nailed it here & hard to disagree. I just think that the teams in Melbourne & Brisbane need a viable alternative. I couldn’t stand Easts before they were introduced, how many others feel the same.

13 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I’d like to see South Melbourne and Wollongong, If southern expansion want In then they should be willing to play NSW NPL first.

same with team 11 if they want a team then they can put one in NPL Vic. 

South Melbourne, the only reason I’d put them at the bottom of the list, is the NSL bitters who have been taking shot pots & putting down the league for years. It’s tiring. In saying that no reason they are any more worthy than the other bids.

The problem with south Expansion & team 11, in fact most  other bids is that their whole bid is based on a team entering the A-League. All or nothing.

I look forward to the current hymn sheet by the FFA being ripped up once the congress issue is sorted. Once that happens, the whole of Australian football can move forward.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic