Wanderers CEO Threatens RBB

1 hour ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

personally i am going to the forum for the food but also so i can scream at the CEO how we have not signed both Messi and Ronaldo

sadly i think that idea will be ignored but at least we are getting a forum i guess

I'm sure there will be about 15 ahead of you wanting to ask why we didn't sign Zlatan, messi or Ronaldo. So please, eat the food and be quiet :P

On 13/07/2017 at 0:45 AM, btron3000 said:

Woah. I never said that tifogate had no impact. My whole post was about the fact that we are building to a new season with positivity and they kick us in the guts, and shoot football in the foot again.

You think the NRL and AFL bring up stuff that happened LAST SEASON? Mate they have so many (real) scandals that they are barely finished with one when another pops up. Last season is about 12 scandals ago for them. Tifogate was done. If they wanted to sort it out, sort it out at the time, not 5 months later.

Anyway, how do we know this is about tifogate? It could be that we are about to play a game that will be watched by more people than all of our other games, and that because it's not a competition game and because with more people watching some might want to show how ultra we are, the club thought some emergency distress signals were coming? Who knows? I'm certainly struggling to understand why they'd do it now if not for that reason.

What facts have you got that we're struggling financially and that is linked to RBB behaviour? Seems like a pretty decent list of sponsors that 120megan posted. And even if this is true, so? We use the RBB until one or two potential sponsors are concerned and then we throw them out? We don't talk to them but we accuse and ban them? 

And finally, even if something has gone horribly awry and we aren't privy to it, and they felt the need to do something, why send such an aggressive, militant email? All they've done is get people prepared for a fight and bring the mainstream media down on us again. If that's not the definition of shooting yourself in the foot then I don't know what is. I just don't get it.

Btron, I agree with you that the handling was horrible. It should have been dealt with then and there, maybe we wouldn't have seen the incidents at the NPL2 games as a result? Maybe. In the same way that the police united the fanbase before S3 it seems the club has united the fanbase as a result of this email. The fan forum will be interesting to say the least.

If you don't believe that it was linked to our off field issues last season and the corresponding **** storm that followed, it's simple. Call up the club and hear it straight from them because there is nothing more I can do to convince you. Furthermore, I'm not going to quote them, but read any of FCB's contributions from this thread who is also saying something similar.

On 13/07/2017 at 1:08 PM, BigDukes said:

so i've had a quick read through on all the above posts. A few points

-----------------------
Cut out some of quoted post
-----------------------

• Are the RBB
  • cheeky in general? Yes
  • Do we try push the boundaries? Yes
  • If you are caught doing anti social behaviour do we defend you? NO - you do it at your own risk

I along with the other RBB collective leaders refuse to take blame for individual acts done at an NPL game or a pre season friendly (bare in mind i have no idea what incidents have occur at such games).

If there is no RBB banner up at a match, then the RBB is not represented at that match - just individuals.

We aren't going anywhere and look forward to the upcoming forum and the season ahead.

Great to hear from you Dukes :good:

I think you'll find in general that you have the majority of the support of the Wanderers fanbase on this and great to hear that you have no plans on walking away!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and hope that everything works out so the RBB can continue to do what they do
::golecapproves:

8 hours ago, marron said:

The two groups have existed mutually - among other groups involved in the club too I might add - for 5 years already. The club is one of the few doing okay financially. I don't think coexistence is unreasonable. 

Agree, but I specifically did say "under the current way they operate", in regards to owners and independent fan groups.

We should not have to go through this bs every year... Let alone every few months. If the "club" wants an ultimatum it should be this: clear cut honesty, or nothing- cease to exist. Because it's existence depends highly on its fans and NOTHING more. The puppets that follow free tickets and corporate boxes is temporary. The luxuries of tomorrow is an illusion because nothing materialistic is guaranteed tomorrow and all that should matter is their integrity.

5 years is not a long time. Look at BigDukes' post covering the changes to management and fan representation as evidence for the very reasons on how it has managed to exist.

Of course it'll work out in the long run, but something will change, whether willfully or not. But that should be obvious to you. It's the ignorant mainstream that will never acknowledge that.

49 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

I am thinking if you are ever going to go to a forum this is the one lol

Agenda....

Welcomes.....

1. RBB / Active support........5 hours later....

Any other business...active support

close......

Like they way you can let them pre-screen a question before the forum lol

Edited by WSWBoro
13 minutes ago, redandblack said:

Agree, but I specifically did say "under the current way they operate", in regards to owners and independent fan groups.

We should not have to go through this bs every year... Let alone every few months. If the "club" wants an ultimatum it should be this: clear cut honesty, or nothing- cease to exist. Because it's existence depends highly on its fans and NOTHING more. The puppets that follow free tickets and corporate boxes is temporary. The luxuries of tomorrow is an illusion because nothing materialistic is guaranteed tomorrow and all that should matter is their integrity.

5 years is not a long time. Look at BigDukes' post covering the changes to management and fan representation as evidence for the very reasons on how it has managed to exist.

Of course it'll work out in the long run, but something will change, whether willfully or not. But that should be obvious to you. It's the ignorant mainstream that will never acknowledge that.

The issue is who decides this change and for what reason?

If we adapt our practices because it's what sponsors want, then the outcome is a stadium full of billboards.

If it is to make governance less of a chore, then we'll have a cabinet full of business awards.

If it is to please the Australian public, then we'll have a daily segment on Sunrise.

Our board appears to be pursuing these goals with gusto now due to the fact our membership seems to be an infallible juggernaut. Despite threats to the fan experience in the form of poor facilities and over the top policing the membership remains on the rise. How though do you respond when the bubble bursts and the cattle have had enough?

These bridge burning exercises in the name of brand development are safe while patrons are queuing at your gate. How will you bring them back if you find yourself on the nose?

Free tickets? Pyro shows? Isreal Falou? Jarred Hayne?

Interesting situation. The club is obviously keen on keeping sponsors and corporate partners onside. At the end of the day this is the age we now live in. It is happening in sport. It is the same when we all go to our workplaces. We listen and act like we believe in the company's core values. We do this to make our money and survive. Mission statements have good intentions, but they come across as being 'fake' considering what happens in the real corporate world. RBB will just have to adjust, or perish.. (like the way we all do in the real world).

I always felt that there were a few incidents (maybe 2 or 3) which really tarnished the image and made RBB an easy target. We all know the main incidents. Probably was the difference why they only really targeted our own club, and not others. It was always going to come to this. Too much macho bravado. Also the fact RBB separated themselves from the club as a seperate entity, and stated "we do our own thing, we don't accept responsibility for what others do", made it easy to isolate them, and target them. It made RBB come across as some outlaw gang, rather than a support base who is associated with the club.

Anyway I think club and active support group probably still need each other in a lot of ways. More than they care to admit. So will be interesting to see how this next season goes.. btw those NPL pictures is just salt being poured on the wound really. I don't think they were major incidents. But our club has a reputation now (whether deserved or not).

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

@CaptainJess

Your missing reps from the 

Inner West Hipsters Thread

our demands are simple 

Craft Beer at the stadium 

Pre match music to be selected by FBI radio as nobody listens to FBI and anything else is too mainstream 

artisan coffee

Entire stadium decor to be done in a warehouse style ie exposed light bulbs, concrete floors and all seating to be wooden crates

Also we demand that next season's jerseys be made out of organic hemp.

1 hour ago, WestSyd said:

Also the fact RBB separated themselves from the club as a seperate entity, and stated "we do our own thing, we don't accept responsibility for what others do", made it easy to isolate them, and target them. It made RBB come across as some outlaw gang, rather than a support base who is associated with the club.

Active groups around the world tend to be completely separate from the club. So much so that some active groups beat up club officials in parking lots! See that's when you have an actual problem with active support.

6 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

Active groups around the world tend to be completely separate from the club. So much so that some active groups beat up club officials in parking lots! See that's when you have an actual problem with active support.

Do players count as club officials? If so, the Cove is been there done that.

11 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

but people in the RBB created a penis tifo, which would you prefer having to be subjected to that or have to go on a 30 vs 1 fight?

Interesting situation. The club is obviously keen on keeping sponsors and corporate partners onside. At the end of the day this is the age we now live in. It is happening in sport. It is the same when we all go to our workplaces. We listen and act like we believe in the company's core values. We do this to make our money and survive. Mission statements have good intentions, but they come across as being 'fake' considering what happens in the real corporate world. RBB will just have to adjust, or perish.. (like the way we all do in the real world).

I always felt that there were a few incidents (maybe 2 or 3) which really tarnished the image and made RBB an easy target. We all know the main incidents. Probably was the difference why they only really targeted our own club, and not others. It was always going to come to this. Too much macho bravado. Also the fact RBB separated themselves from the club as a seperate entity, and stated "we do our own thing, we don't accept responsibility for what others do", made it easy to isolate them, and target them. It made RBB come across as some outlaw gang, rather than a support base who is associated with the club.

Anyway I think club and active support group probably still need each other in a lot of ways. More than they care to admit. So will be interesting to see how this next season goes.. btw those NPL pictures is just salt being poured on the wound really. I don't think they were major incidents. But our club has a reputation now (whether deserved or not).

Spot on!

Our club has lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions, in sponsorship due to poor decisions from the core of the RBB. No money no honey baby! I can;t see any other reason as to why the club would send an email out like it did.

The RBB were nowhere last season...towards the end of the season the RBB looked like a group falling apart with numbers dwindling to record lows. Not trying to sound like I'm putting the RBB down, just saying how it was. What was the go with that?

39 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

My point was that it leaves the group vulnerable. Sure it gives them their own autonomy, but when you have tensions like we do now the club has no problem sending out an e-mail like they did. It's almost like they have become a hire-a-group. Can be easily discarded and replaced. The club will always have the control.

Your second sentence is probably why they are so paranoid about active support. What happens in Turkey or Greece won't be accepted in Australia. Not that it is something that will happen, but you never know when you'll get someone who isn't right in the head trying to imitate what he sees overseas.

That's just it though - the club might be able to scuttle the RBBs ability to create what they do; but they won't be able to replace it. The independence, for all its problems, is what makes it work. Volunteers do it because it's its own entity. I agree it leaves it vulnerable but without the autonomy it doesn't exist. 

Believe it or not the AFL went through this 30-40 years ago - the clubs took control of the various supporter groups because they were too rowdy. They did this by giving them "privileges", making them sign agreements in exchange for access to club rooms, funding and so on. The result? What we all laugh at today.    A vibrant culture disappeared. 

You know what would happen with your wrong in the head fan here? A ban and police charges. End of story. There are no politics and not enough corruption - at least not in the same way - to give active groups even the barest sniff of power to allow them to act like what happens overseas. 

of course that doesn't stop people suggesting it could happen.

Any active support group that loses it's independence from the club becomes a club owned marketing gimmick.

If the club is that worried about club officials being beat up in the parking lot I'd suggest they call the Police. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of having an actual reason to arrest a football fan instead of just pepper spraying them en mass for no reason.

And you know what's more likely to make the 'wrong in the head' fan step over the line? An email like that. 

Irrational people don't respond to rationality. They do act when challenged though.

Of course that's not to suggest that people should just have a free reign to do whatever they want, but stoking tensions when not required is dangerous. 

7 hours ago, marron said:

That's just it though - the club might be able to scuttle the RBBs ability to create what they do; but they won't be able to replace it. The independence, for all its problems, is what makes it work. Volunteers do it because it's its own entity. I agree it leaves it vulnerable but without the autonomy it doesn't exist. 

Believe it or not the AFL went through this 30-40 years ago - the clubs took control of the various supporter groups because they were too rowdy. They did this by giving them "privileges", making them sign agreements in exchange for access to club rooms, funding and so on. The result? What we all laugh at today.    A vibrant culture disappeared. 

You know what would happen with your wrong in the head fan here? A ban and police charges. End of story. There are no politics and not enough corruption - at least not in the same way - to give active groups even the barest sniff of power to allow them to act like what happens overseas. 

of course that doesn't stop people suggesting it could happen.

I suppose I am talking about how 'independent' are they from the club? The AFL supporter groups were at least still very associated with the clubs. Even if they were independent in what they did in their own time. Sometimes it feels like the RBB could pack up tomorrow and offer their services to another club. They are just a group who creates atmosphere. That's why there will that indifference between people who support the club first over active support. It is for me anyway. I've never been comfortable with that total separation. 

On your third para with the wrong in the head fan, that's now how it works. It's like drugs that affect peoples minds in a bad way (say like ice). They will always ban it, rather than let people take it and then say "let the police do their job" when some bad **** happens. Of course prevention methods will always be used over a wait and see approach. Especially these days where you get all sorts of incidents happening on a daily basis. They will be even more vigilant when there is a lot of money involved.  

Sometimes it feels like the RBB could pack up tomorrow and offer their services to another club. They are just a group who creates atmosphere. That's why there will that indifference between people who support the club first over active support. It is for me anyway. I've never been comfortable with that total separation.

This is the result of the divide and conquer tactics deployed by the FFA, people now forget which group was there when the club started. The board? The non-active? Or the RBB?

What do you mean by "very associated?" Because in the case of the AFL (actually VFL) clubs, the only official association was that they bought tickets/were members (I can't remember how that bit worked, but it was even looser than the RBB designation because you could walk in from anywhere). Everything else they did themselves, created themselves. Masses of confetti were a speciality, and actually, dumping it on opposition grounds the night before matches I seem to remember was at least one of the reasons the clubs started to try and take control. Offensive banners another one. So they took control, and now their official banners have sponsors messages on them by decree and they have to sit in their seats and only wave things at allowed times and there aren't many people who actually even know that it was different.

Could any of these old loose groups have changed allegiances and just moved holus bolus to another club? Well, the cultural trappIngs were arguably the same, the same sorts of activities in general, so, maybe, theoretically, because they didn't have an official association with the club, then they could just start rocking up somewhere else. Except for one thing, which is the guts of supporting a football team. It's not an agreement with some suit who will have moved on in 10 years that ties you to a club is it. It's because it represents your home in some way. There is no chance that the RBB as is could come out of anywhere but western Sydney. It is something of an embodiment in many ways, warts and all. From the music, mixing different things up, to the independence - "I know a bloke who can...." as opposed to going to your betters cap in hand. Total separation? Man, that's just insulting. You don't spend hours of your life devoted to making stuff happen just because. And in no way am i trying to suggest that the bulk of supporters are not "as" western Sydney as the rbb either. Because, look, at no other club in Aus do you see the entire crowd sing. Or travel in the same numbers. That is a western Sydney thing. What I'm trying to say here is that a football club is (or should be)! More than a chance to watch a game of football. It's a link to people's identity. It's representative of their  community. To suggest that unless you sign off with a suit, who is paid out of membership fees to be there, you don't have a real link with that, is like I said insulting. 

As for the prevention methods - we have them. All the problematic things are already banned or illegal and will result in bans or charges.

Edited by marron
9 minutes ago, ColdRock said:

This is the result of the divide and conquer tactics deployed by the FFA, people now forget which group was there when the club started. The board? The non-active? Or the RBB?

Technically the board and the suits created the Wanderers which we now support so...

It's all good and well to think of the RBB as some sort of bastion of amazing active support who was there from Day One and gives their all, etc. etc. etc.

Let's not forget that they are not bigger than the club

I don't agree with WSW shutting down the active support area if there are issues - honestly, I think it's the police's problem and security, and if you can't get rid of the rogue elements with all the technology we have now and the security pat-downs and whatever, then really, that's just on the police's inefficiency and security's lack of ability to do their job properly

And by "doing their job properly" I mean not doing things like intimidating patrons, or making stupid non-sensical requests like "Oi mate, get back to your seat" in the active support section - which just shows their complete lack of understanding of where they've been posted.

Unfortunately, the police and security, along with the media are pinning it on the club - and the sponsors get wary because they don't want their name dragged through the mud. When pwc stuffed up the Oscars this year, they were a running joke for several months where I work. I believe the club don't want to resort to drastic measures but they're in a tough spot. I think they're doing the best that they can