Sign in to follow this  
mack

Wanderers CEO Threatens RBB

12 hours ago, mack said:

You need as much money as you can get when you keep signing flops like piovaccari, borda, sotirio & hamill over and over again. Those first two alone have cost the club  ~$1.4 million. You could probably throw Jumpei in there and get it up to $2 million if he fails again this season.

If?

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

WSW are having to pay for 'extra security' and there are still the various 'incidents'. If I were a business owner, I'd be asking if I'm actually getting value for money from the security service being provided rather than having a crack at a group of my 'customers' and telling them to clean it up.

But this is football, and as Boro said, we love to kick ourselves in the bollocks 

:unknw:

6 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

WSW are having to pay for 'extra security' and there are still the various 'incidents'. If I were a business owner, I'd be asking if I'm actually getting value for money from the security service being provided rather than having a crack at a group of my 'customers' and telling them to clean it up.

But this is football, and as Boro said, we love to kick ourselves in the bollocks 

:unknw:

I'd rather keep things as is than beef up security. I've already seen some overboard **** at Spotless from the seccos (what takes the cake is not letting in an old man through the gate because he had a subway sandwich) so I'd hate to see what true value for money security looks like! 

7 hours ago, luisenrique said:

The thing is, I wouldn't have had a problem with a simple email that said 'hey guys, just a reminder, no flares or dodgy banners please. cheers.'

But the tone of this email is just astounding. For its timing, for its lack of forethought at the repercussions, for its complete lack of understanding and appreciation of a large part of the club's support, and for its incredible exaggeration. 

^^^This.

The appeal of going to WSW games (especially when we have been as dogshit as at some of the stages of our history, and certainly now that we are at Soulless) has been the atmosphere, and regardless of what anyone wants to believe, the RBB have been a huge part of that, to the extent of being able to marshal almost the entire crowd at their whim for call-and-response. I've seen the glee on little kids' faces when it's their section's turn.

It has to be put into perspective. You're always going to get someone who misbehaves - whether in the active area or elsewhere - but blaming the majority for the misdeeds of the few (or the one) is fascist. When you have morons like Gallop whose one-shot-in-the-locker is to punish entire clubs for the actions of one or two (or even ten) tonks in the crowd, you can see what's going wrong with football in this country.

Wake up WSW before you kill the joy in our club - just because the FFA are dicks, you don't need to clone them.

14 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

The club is powerless in this matter. Police dictates to SOP what goes, and that's that.

45 minutes ago, Gazmon said:

It seems to me as if something major has fallen through or they've gone through their end of year finances and these issues have burnt a massive hole.

As someone else said put these numbers on the table. "I'm sorry, but in calculating fines, additional police costs and these (list them) deals have fallen through; this, in turn has cost the club $1.5 million" or similar. That might turn some heads. The email was firm, but fair IMHO.

I believe that last season the club said that a number of sponsors had expressed their concern about ongoing behaviour problems.  I believe one of them was NRMA Insurance and they tip in over $1m pa to the club and the community on behalf of the club.  With sponsorship being the highest source of revenue for the club having concerned sponsors is not what the club needs.  Where would the club be without the near $20m that sponsors have tipped in over the last 5 years?

7 hours ago, luisenrique said:

The thing is, I wouldn't have had a problem with a simple email that said 'hey guys, just a reminder, no flares or dodgy banners please. cheers.'

But the tone of this email is just astounding. For its timing, for its lack of forethought at the repercussions, for its complete lack of understanding and appreciation of a large part of the club's support, and for its incredible exaggeration. 

Worse than the actual content is that it's the clearest sign of any that the suits are completely out of touch with what makes this club what it is.

The time for friendly reminders is long gone. One can question timing and tone of the mail, but how many wake up calls do people need?

• Dec 28th S2 was a concerted effort.
  • The S4 Melbourne pyro party was a concerted effort.
  • The Arnie gate tifo was a concerted effort. While the Cove was quick to apologize for the damage done to their corner of ANZ, the RBB in contrast dug in and let the club carry the can.
  • The RBB officially does not encourage the use of flares. And yet there are plenty of photos of smoke emerging from the RBB onn their FB page. it sends a message.

If I was running a pub and some of my patrons were intentionally pouring their drinks on the floor for fun and puke on the carpet then I would not be happy. If they didn't apologize but watch me and make fun of me while clean up their mess, over and over, I'd be furious. On top of that, if I had to pay 10 bouncers instead of one because of them then I knew what I'd be doing. And so would you.

13 hours ago, marron said:

Lost membership opportunities?

FMD.

yep, nothing to do with the move to ******* Homebush.

Whats that JT?

You began your email saying memberships are up?

Ok then.

I think they are referring to Corporate memberships and partners, not fan memberships.

8 minutes ago, FCB said:

The club is powerless in this matter. Police dictates to SOP what goes, and that's that.

And I guess that's where I'm coming from. The club shouldn't be powerless. They're paying for an additional service - which is forced on them - and yet when **** happens, it's the fans that are blamed - as a whole - and security service is not challenged on what they did or didn't do to prevent said **** from happening. And BTW, here's the bill anyway.

With the amount we (apparently) pay for the amount of additional security we (apparently) require, any 'minority' should be properly identifiable if they did the job they're (apparently) saying WSW must have.

I know I'm taking a bit of a simplistic view, and it's actually alot more complicated, there's public safety to consider blah blah blah. But it was the club that made it about $$$ and lost opportunities and huge costs etc, so lets really look at it from that perspective. I don't begrudge the club looking out for the financial well being of itself. Security is one of those costs and I get that. Just because they have to pay it doesn't mean they should accept a **** level of server (IMO).

I find it hard to believe the police going to change their risk assessment, say for a derby, just because there's a change in active support. Threatening a section of the supporter base to clean up or else, taking active support 'to the next level' (whatever that means) changes nothing from a security perspective I don't think, and so the cost remains. Stop blaming the subset of supports for the cost and start demanding better value for money. The police should do the job they think we need them to do.

49 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

I'd rather keep things as is than beef up security. I've already seen some overboard **** at Spotless from the seccos (what takes the cake is not letting in an old man through the gate because he had a subway sandwich) so I'd hate to see what true value for money security looks like! 

When young kids can't take a drink bottle in, you really have to ask WTF? They can stop a subway or a drink bottle, but somehow haven't worked out how to stop tifogate or flaregate or keep people off the playing field. Target the easy ones and say you're doing an awesome job and somehow justifies whatever cost.

I'm done for now. i have work to do (yeah, I'm a westie with a job, who'd have though eh?)

25 minutes ago, FCB said:

The time for friendly reminders is long gone. One can question timing and tone of the mail, but how many wake up calls do people need?

• The Arnie gate tifo was a concerted effort. While the Cove was quick to apologize for the damage done to their corner of ANZ, the RBB in contrast dug in and let the club carry the can.
  • The RBB officially does not encourage the use of flares. And yet there are plenty of photos of smoke emerging from the RBB onn their FB page. it sends a message.

If I was running a pub and some of my patrons were intentionally pouring their drinks on the floor for fun and puke on the carpet then I would not be happy. If they didn't apologize but watch me and make fun of me while clean up their mess, over and over, I'd be furious. On top of that, if I had to pay 10 bouncers instead of one because of them then I knew what I'd be doing. And so would you.

Aren't you and I basically saying the same thing here? 

I made my thoughts on the Arnie tifo clear at the time. What, apart from that, did the RBB do wrong last season? (Genuine question...I was overseas for a large chunk of it so it's possible I missed something). 

The email would have been warranted if all the things you mentioned happened last year. But as someone said, I don't remember a single flare since the threat of points hung over us. I don't remember any violence. 

I don't have an issue with reminding us that these things aren't allowed. 'Don't be violent'...no ****. But I do think it's a bit rich to write a 'won't somebody please think of the children!' rant when it's easy to argue that last season the behaviour was the best it's ever been, bar one act of stupidity. 

Anyway my chicken nuggets are done so I'm going to go eat them. I look forward to jumping back into this thread at work tonight.

Keep on truckin'

As others have said, it appears the club are missing the point as to why a lot of people are members. We (a family with 2 kids) started supporting the Wanderers in season 1, after a going to a few games we joined for season 2 and haven't missed a home game since. Lets be honest, a lot of the time the football isn't that great, but the atmosphere can make up for that. That's what keeps us coming back and the kids interested. The excitement of not knowing what's going to happen next, good or bad, keeps the interest levels up. Yes, some of the chants aren't appropriate for kids, yes flares are illegal, yes the EAD Tifo was offensive to some - but if I want to bring my kids up in a perceived "safe place" they wouldn't leave home. We have never felt threatened, intimidated or had any problems at games in 5 years - excluding a few overzealous security guards. 

I understand the clubs financial issue with these things and changes need to happen, but there needs to be a better solution than sterilising the active support.

A lot of people have joined because of the RBB and the atmosphere they have created and I'm sure for the bad boy tag of being a WSW supporter. Do we want to be like SFC with 10,000 members and no atmosphere, winning the plate didn't make going to their games anymore interesting.

Edited by MadKaw

20 minutes ago, MadKaw said:

A lot of people have joined because of the RBB and the atmosphere they have created and I'm sure for the bad boy tag of being a WSW supporter. Do we want to be like SFC with 10,000 members and no atmosphere, winning the plate didn't make going to their games anymore interesting.

My trips from Canberra wouldn't be worth it if all I got to do was sit down and watch the likes of Borda and Jumpei play. What makes WSW so unique, and the A League in general, is precisely the active support which the FFA is successfully killing off. We've had NT and the Squadron tank not long ago, will the RBB be the third in a year? 

Perhaps this is revenge for all the fuss we made about the appeals process in 2015/16.

17 minutes ago, BohemianDublin said:

Without being harsh (I take you're point), but you're analogy is a little flawed.

If I was running a pub, I'd regard it as par for the course if occasionally an idiot had too much to drink. I'd be pissed off cleaning up their puke, but there's no point being a taxi driver and complaining about traffic. If one idiot did it again, I'd ban them, but I wouldn't close the pub. Overall, these patrons are customers and contribute significant dollars over the bar. It's usually better for pub owners to keep their regulars (even a few menacing looking ones) onside. Just saying.

Every analogy is :-)

It's not the odd idiot that is ruffling feathers, but concerted actions with the knowledge/approval/participation of people who are expected to be moderators. That seems to be the issue.

Yes, usually it may be better for pub owners to keep regulars, but in this instance someone appears to be willing to make an exception. Their significant contribution has also resulted in at least equally significant damage.

In the meantime, the pub remains open for business, so far 15k have signed up.

Actually flares have not stopped at all. Read the CEO letter again. 

And so so what if few guys get bans, it doesn't fix any damage done and doesn't stop sponsors walking away. 

So where do we go from here? 

I do not think a silent protest/boycotting games  will work this time.. 

I feel the club is would rather 5k figures than compromising with the rbb.. 

Will we then become like NT and not go to games at all? 

13 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

So where do we go from here? 

I do not think a silent protest/boycotting games  will work this time.. 

I feel the club is would rather 5k figures than compromising with the rbb.. 

Will we then become like NT and not go to games at all? 

Need to hear the noises that come out of the forum on the 25th, all take a deep breath until then. Hoping that people go who can put across this stuff very well. Not FCB, he should be tied up with ropes and put in Goats dungeon for the duration of the forum as he strikes a far too conciliatory tone for my liking ;) :P

Edited by WSWBoro

Wonder what the WST response will be. Stand in solidarity or side with club management? I hope and expect the former.

My $0.02 worth

I doubt the club are enjoying doing this or want to do it. They are basically in an impossible situation, they operate on a hostile environment, with media etc looking to kick us in the nuts at every opportunity and a hard battle for sponsors etc.

few would question what the RBB have brought to the club. 

But seems it's hit the point where the club can't keep putting out fires and cleaning up incidents (even they are small).

Always stuck me as a balancing act for both club and RBB. Between what type of support some want and what can be done within a league and being the "official" active support group for club.

Hope balance can be found but it don't look good right now 

It's the worst time for this too while we have Souless to contend with as well

1 hour ago, MajorMelons said:

Actually flares have not stopped at all. Read the CEO letter again. 

And so so what if few guys get bans, it doesn't fix any damage done and doesn't stop sponsors walking away. 

no they have not stopped - but the club has admitted that incidents continue to decrease year by year since our inauguration.

Perfection takes time - and lets be real, nothing is ever perfect  

3 hours ago, FCB said:

but it only happens once a year according to your little list there... :P

38 minutes ago, BigDukes said:

We aren't going anywhere and look forward to the upcoming forum and the season ahead.

Great news!

Is rbb/la Banda going to be silent at the arsenal match? 

Edited by wanderersfanatic

3 hours ago, Erebus said:

I think they are referring to Corporate memberships and partners, not fan memberships.

that 'd be right ... :lol: