Coach and Staff Thread 2017/18

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

#popaout

jokes - #popain

I want to see him turn us around. Again. He better get on his recruiting bike though, and also practice his sales pitch to get rid of the crappy foreign players we signed for two years.

#popain?

julie-poh-300x219.jpg

On 10/05/2017 at 0:29 PM, tranquilo said:

the popa out banner placed at the training grounds will have him worried, not!

I think he will be given until his contract ends and then will decide to move on possibly to asia i think.

I think there is a way to go about it and it may be the only way to get the message through (banner not message).

Was quite disrespectful in interview (bill & boz show) earlier in the year when Popa didn't acknowledge fan discontent and suggested fans stick to supporting. The way the club is run there is little communication to hierarchy, owners and football department. I feel this year it has only got worse.

Perhaps don't agree with wording but definitely agree voicing our discontent. Popa out? Has shown multiple times he can rebuild the squad, his contract runs out next season. After all he has done for our club, he deserves the chance to rebuild and win another trophy. Though, if December comes and a similar story to S4 then it's time to start afresh.

Succession planning a must, only an upgrade on Popa is acceptable. Coaches in the last few years who have proven insufficient should not be considered (merrick, amor, moss etc). Different style needed, iron fist, cold shoulder and mass turnover needs to change.

This mass exodus/cull--year on year--of players is starting to wear a bit thin. If they aren't up to scratch, fair enough, but surely some of that comes down to recruitment in the first place. If this was any other employer the 'manager' would be in the firing line if staff under him were coming and going at this rate. I do like Popa and appreciate all he has done... we also don't know how much of it is his decision, but it's starting to get the 'meh, the roundabout continues at WSW'.

20 minutes ago, Gazmon said:

This mass exodus/cull--year on year--of players is starting to wear a bit thin. If they aren't up to scratch, fair enough, but surely some of that comes down to recruitment in the first place. If this was any other employer the 'manager' would be in the firing line if staff under him were coming and going at this rate. I do like Popa and appreciate all he has done... we also don't know how much of it is his decision, but it's starting to get the 'meh, the roundabout continues at WSW'.

I agree it doesn't seem good, but I also think that it's an easy story for the papers and that there is more to it than just "yearly cull".

He didn't cull much the first two seasons.

Then, after a poor year, Popa let a lot of players go who he correctly identified wouldn't suit the new style. We also had a whole bunch of guys on ACL only contracts, so that is when the "cleanout" stories started, with all these papers saying "WSW have let go 24 players" etc etc. It was bs.

Then we did much better than anyone expected the following year and the Spaniards wanted more cash. Topor leaving left a big hole, but he was on borrowed time (and they probably expected Cornthwaite to get up to speed sooner), and Jamo wanted out to try his hand in Europe. Also, Dario & Bridge went for a payday too. 

So there can definitely be fingers pointed as to why so many players left last year, that's not great management, but individually all the losses make sense. We can also ask why many of them were only on one year contracts. They rectified that this year by putting Borda/Jumpei etc on two year contracts - LOL. Should Jamo have had that release clause? Well if he would only come here if that was in his contract, what was WSW to do?

So I think it's been unfortunate, but I also think it's easy to sit on the sidelines and say "so-and-so should have been kept".

But the loss of players is the reason I think Antonis key. If we manage to get him back - and sign Baccus!! - we have kept the spine of our team. That's enough for continuity. Sprinkle in some attacking talent and we are looking good.

Just remember:

S1 - Plenty of players on two year contracts

S2 - Medium turnover

S3 - High turnover

S4 - Medium turnover

-----------------------

For me, the turnover stops a core developing that forms the heart beat of the club. Turning over 10 - 14 players a year makes it hard for this to happen, especially for someone as ruthless as Popa.

I agree and disagree.  If we had had a solid lead into the beginning for Season 1 where a solid team with a developed style had been possible (not sure it would have been in s1 anyway?) perhaps we could have truly built on what we had and were.  Trouble was we came to the party late and got who we could, played a basic defend and counter.  It was effective but by s2 other teams were working us out.  popa, for good or bad, had a plan to develop the football style of the club. S3 was a total shamozzle after ACL, Club World Cup... Throw the 1st real recruiting stuff ups (Saba et al) and we lost ground.
S4 was the beginning of the new style with some good recruits and one major stuff up in Pio.  We did better than possibly expected but there were gaps.
As Btron elaborates there were some unanticipated last minute departures in S5, along with some poor recruits and a very slow start. Never-the-less the style emerged and we played some really good football. We had no-one up front until Santa showed up.  For all the good he did he wasn't always there and isn't a starting striker week in, week out.  we had no-one to take up striking challenges and the vagaries of recruiting (especially strikers) didn't work for us.  I suspect that recruiting a good A League striker may well be the most difficult position.  Top strikers are rarer and command more money than A League can offer and what's left is a gamble.  Bulut, for all his passion and enthusiasm was a gamble that didn't work out but I suspect he wasn't first choice either.

I think turnover of a few/several players is inevitable as we continue to find our way through the maze of A League salary cap, low end league, different playing conditions (hard grounds and hot weather) and thin resources for scouting/recruiting.  Other teams have been at it more than 2x as long.  So far our turnover has been predominantly youth players and those we knew would go due to loans, contract ending...

I suppose it gives us something to discuss and disagree over.  I think popa will be one determined little wanderer this season.  He hates losing and wants to leave something behind that is good, strong, solid and is silverware.  we shall see.

When Popa renewed his contract after S3 he was asked about his plans beyond the wsw. He said that his plan is to reap the benefits of the wsw youth works in "five years". 

If I am understanding the likes of Taurus correctly then we are grooming players who are encouraged to play out from the back and pass the ball around, are allowed to make mistakes, and expected to learn from them. In others words we are trying to create our own Albertos and Andreus. 

And then there is Popa's pre S4 letter to the fans which, two seasons later, makes for quite depressing reading. 

http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/tony-popovic-letter-to-the-fans/1oe4j99wl8o2t1ix4nr2mkufe1

It is noteworthy that there was no such letter prior to S5. The club's hopes and expectations were high but they knew that they had sold us a beta version. 

Despite the soft squad we played some great football which, unfortunately, was being undermined by individual errors. But a different coaching group would have led this squad to the wooden spoon. 

Lachlan Campbell is an example of the type of player that @FCB is referring too.

Whilst I had my doubts about him last season, he has taken his game to another level this season.

Despite only turning 18 this year, he is displaying composure & maturity way beyond his years, despite often having to combine with different CB partners (Davies, Bandiera, Currey) in recent weeks.  

http://www.footballnsw.com.au/index.php?id=149&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=10437&cHash=e145566665c4f60054d07ae1a52d73f3

Article posted August 5, 2015

Wanderers call up for FNSW Institute U16 captain

Football NSW Institute Under 16 captain Lachlan Campbell will spend the week in Coffs Harbour with the Western Sydney Wanderers first team after impressing in the NPL and a recent trial match between Western Sydney and Mount Druitt Rangers.

One of two FNSW Institute Under 16 players invited to train and play with Tony Popovic’s team last week, central defender Campbell will experience life at the professional level alongside some of his heroes after an outstanding season of development in the FNSW Institute system.

Thomas Meier, a left sided defender was also given the chance to represent the Wanderers against Mt Druitt after being identified as a future prospect by the professional club. 

Both players performed with distinction and composure to become the first players in the history of the program to experience A-­?League level football while still training with the FNSW Institute U16 team.

According to Football NSW Institute Under 16 Head Coach, Craig Foster, both players are outstanding examples of the benefits of the FFA development pathway.

"Thomas and Lachlan have devoted themselves admirably to their football education.

"Both fantastic kids, it has been a marvellous lesson for the rest of the group to know their two teammates can step up to play with the Asian Champions. These two particularly show the importance of working hard and never giving up.

"Thomas missed selection for last year’s National Training Centre Challenge in Canberra and, yet, six months later he’s stepping out for the Wanderers senior team. This is testament to the immense improvement he has made.

"And Lachlan was recruited this season from Hills Brumbies in NPL2, having not been part of the elite pathway previously. This clearly shows there is talent outside the system that we must not overlook.

"I know FFA Technical Director, Eric Abrams is aiming to introduce new Talent Identification accreditation, and Lachlan’s experience suggests this is a priority. Both players showed courage to challenge themselves with new ways of playing that we implement with the FNSW 16’s, especially for defenders who are expected to contend with equal and often superior numbers, and to constantly build the game against older, aggressive players.

"We analyse A-­?League football with the kids and implement many of the tactical systems so that the boys are familiar with the details when their chance comes.

"This does, of course severely challenge them while playing against teams several years advanced, nevertheless the outcomes over the past three years have been immensely pleasing.

"Two years ago, eleven players graduated to the AIS and Joey’s, a new benchmark from one State. Eleven players from last year’s group matriculated into the A-­League clubs, which was also a record for the program, and I’m confident this year’s crop will similarly evolve into high level players.

"The entire squad has been granted an opportunity to trial with the Wanderers’ youth coaches this week, also a first for the Football NSW program, and all will draw great confidence from the success of their teammates.

"I’m thrilled for all the kids, especially those who were outside the pathway and can now dream of a professional and international career."

6 hours ago, xxBrandonxx said:

Why you Popa out ?

Last 3 seasons results, his intractable manner & his treatment of players, most of which doesn't reach the public domain.

9th, 2nd (after being clear top with game in hand) & 6th. 

18 hours ago, Taurus said:

Hope so

Do you think that his managerial style ( and what the players outside of the club know of it ) is hindering us in recruiting. ? 

• 4 weeks later...

"Announcement : After 11 years of operation the International Goalkeepers Academy will be closing its doors as of the end of June. Jim and his staff would like to take this opportunity to thank all players, coaches and parents who have contributed to the academy during that period. Current head coach Ken Greenhead will be operating under a new banner 'Progressive Goalkeeping'. Training locations and session times will be provided on this page in the coming weeks."

I know this group was at the same place as the WSW training, did they have any specific links to us?

12 hours ago, mack said:

"Announcement : After 11 years of operation the International Goalkeepers Academy will be closing its doors as of the end of June. Jim and his staff would like to take this opportunity to thank all players, coaches and parents who have contributed to the academy during that period. Current head coach Ken Greenhead will be operating under a new banner 'Progressive Goalkeeping'. Training locations and session times will be provided on this page in the coming weeks."

I know this group was at the same place as the WSW training, did they have any specific links to us?

Jim Fraser must be retiring or moving.

Can't see the GK/Striker Academy closing up shop all together.

1 hour ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Weren't they also co-sponsoring Janjetovic after Redmayne left? Or was it just one of the goalkeeping pozzies full stop.

If Jim Fraser is retiring perhaps there's an opening for Ron Corry :ninja:

As a goalkeeping academy would you really think it wise to sponsor redmayne? other than to use him as the before in a before and after style ad 

8 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

As a goalkeeping academy would you really think it wise to sponsor redmayne? other than to use him as the before in a before and after style ad 

Mat Ryan is a graduate

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic