Coach and Staff Thread 2017/18

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

But he did say it last reading between the lines - if we don't qualify his contract is over....and if we do, he implied he'd stay ...until his contract was over.

I thought it was clear...in the Australian Story  from last week.

Sorta  kinda.

Yeh, I know that as well.

I just get the shits when OUR media should be focussing on the game and squad selection, not Ange's job prospects. He just needed to shut them up and focus on those things.

Anyway, too much off topic now.

Here we go again... Paul Lederer’s wallet: the scapegoat of Western Sydney. 

What if this mythical ‘German’ coach and his trusty sidekick (sounds like something from Hogan’s Hero’s) weren’t actually worth the money they demanded? What a crazy thought...

Until it can be confirmed who exactly the pair were, blaming Lederer (once again) for not just throwing his chequebook at them is incredibly naive and plain stupid. 

I'm not buying it Wendy. All he has to say is I'm leaving after the playoff/I haven't made my mind up/I'm staying if we make the World Cup. There are only three possible scenarios and instead of just telling us which one, he continues playing this stupid game as if to make some kind of point. It's hardly ridiculous for a country's press to want to know if their manager is staying for the World Cup. 

The schoolyard stuff...meh. Who's been calling him 'Con'? I don't doubt that some people on the Internet might have said some stuff, but every professional footballer and coach gets called names and worse online. It's not like the journos in the room are making racial epithets about him behind his back. 

He absolutely loves playing the victim card to deflect from the fact that his performance in this qualifying campaign has been sub-par.

6 minutes ago, Davo said:

Smithies calling it early.

I'm ok with Gambau if this is true....as a plus he will have no problem communicating with the three amigos......may even help bring out the best in them....may even bring out the best in Sotirio/Aspro as he has coached them at national level.

Edited by sonar
10 minutes ago, sonar said:

I'm ok with Gambau if this is true....as a plus he will have no problem communicating with the three amigos......may even help bring out the best in them....may even bring out the best in Sotirio/Aspro as he has coached them at national level.

He does seem to love Sotirio. FFS.

If, as expected it is Gombau, I just hope we don't abandon the habit of moving forward at pace, rather than merely passing it around (and often backwards) just to maintain possession. Playing a dynamic and aggressive style of football suits this club, its fans and its goal of being Australia's leading football organisation.

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers are proud to announce Josep Gombau as the club’s new head coach.

Following an extensive worldwide search which yielded a high number of excellent candidates, Gombau’s intimate knowledge of the Hyundai A-League and impressive resume - which includes his roles within the national team system -  ensured he was the club’s number one choice for the role.

Gombau made a positive impression during his two-year tenure as head coach of Adelaide United between 2013-15   by guiding the club to successive Final Series appearances, as well as winning the inaugural FFA Cup trophy.

In 2014 Gombau was voted by Australian fans as the coach of the Foxtel All-Stars team that played Juventus - a game which included current Wanderer, Michael Thwaite.

Since leaving Adelaide the former FC Barcelona youth team coach was appointed Australia U23s Head Coach and Socceroos Assistant Coach in (June) 2016.

Western Sydney Wanderers Chairman Paul Lederer said he was pleased with the appointment of Gombau and is looking forward to the club’s continued growth with the Spaniard at the helm.

“After an extensive worldwide search we are confident we have chosen the best candidate for the job,” said Lederer.

“Josep is a man of impeccable character; he is a family man and has great credentials to fit into our operations to continue the growth of this fantastic football club.

“We have a shared vision for how the Wanderers can develop and shared ambitions for our future – mark my words, we have a bold plan for this football club and I look forward to having Josep lead our team this season and beyond.” 

New Wanderers Head Coach Josep Gombau said he was excited to continue building on the team’s strong foundations and make the members and fans proud of their style of play.

“For me, this is an amazing opportunity at one of  -  if not the biggest - clubs in the Hyundai A-League,” said Gombau.

“My first game as a coach in Australia was against the Wanderers in a pre-season friendly match, and more than 7,000 people were there which was incredible – the noise they make and the atmosphere they create is incredible.

“As part of the National Team coaching unit I came to watch the Wanderers play often to monitor players, and the atmosphere has always been something special.

“I think it is important that we embrace the fans … play with passion … have passion in the team.

“I look forward to building on the style of play that we want to play – attacking football that our members and fans will be proud to watch.

“Our first step is to build this attacking style together so that our brand of football is fast and is possession based. I like to play the way that honours keeping the ball, and I believe that this group of players at the Wanderers will take this style to another level.

“We have a strong team, so I want to get straight to work . . .  I know the players want this too. We will build on our style, we will play to win -and we will play for the people of Western Sydney.”

Gombau also praised Football Federation Australia and the National Team for allowing him to take up the role.

“Finally, I would like to thank the Federation for allowing me to come and I’m extremely grateful to them for allowing me to pursue this opportunity. I also thank the Wanderers for the confidence they have in me to take this great club forward.”

Edited by MadKaw
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic