Coach and Staff Thread 2017/18

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone give some insights on what the Gombau " system " is ? . And how it is different to the system that came in when the Spanish assistant came in a couple of years ago . Wasn't it already supposed to be a Spanish possession based style . 

Did our system change 15/16 ( grand final ) to 16/17 ( 6th ) or were Santa , Bridge , Nichols, Andrew,Alberto Jamo , Castelan just on fire in 15/16 ? 

Last week it looked like 4-1-2-3 with the "1" baby baccus dropping in between centre backs ( Barcelona style lol ) .  Could not tell how the front  5 were supposed to move or rotate as we didn't hold the ball . 

Also  interesting we were  playing a front 5 that has scored maybe 20 goals between them in the last 3 years so maybe we were expecting Clisby and Hamill to get forward and score ! 

1 hour ago, TheSweeper said:

Can someone give some insights on what the Gombau " system " is ? . And how it is different to the system that came in when the Spanish assistant came in a couple of years ago . Wasn't it already supposed to be a Spanish possession based style . 

The biggest difference is Gombau uses a single deep lying playmaker compared to two defensive anchors.

A few others:

- Never play a sideways or backwards pass. Always forward. (That came from a news article, Baccus?)

- The striker is more isolated. My theory is that with the wingers forced wide, he wants the two 10’s to support the forward (well at least in theory  )

- His wingers hug the touch line. Where as Popa gave his front four creative freedom to move as needed. Create overloads and let wingback’s overlap at will, took seasons but was very fluid at times (perhaps not enough  )

- Two sub points to the above (a) I notice that the backs don’t over lap or hit the byline as much but that is just a by product of the wingers hugging the touchline. The wingers don’t seem to be getting in attacking positions & crossing hasn’t hit the mark (b) I think this is why Jumps got benched for the derby, he made a point that he picked players that would follow his instructions.

——————-

There are probably are a few others but hard to say when the players aren’t executing out on the field.

34 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

A few others:

- Never play a sideways or backwards pass. Always forward. (That came from a news article, Baccus?)

- The striker is more isolated. My theory is that with the wingers forced wide, he wants the two 10’s to support the forward (well at least in theory  )

- His wingers hug the touch line. Where as Popa gave his front four creative freedom to move as needed. Create overloads and let wingback’s overlap at will, took seasons but was very fluid at times (perhaps not enough  )

- Two sub points to the above (a) I notice that the backs don’t over lap or hit the byline as much but that is just a by product of the wingers hugging the touchline. The wingers don’t seem to be getting in attacking positions & crossing hasn’t hit the mark (b) I think this is why Jumps got benched for the derby, he made a point that he picked players that would follow his instructions.

——————-

There are probably are a few others but hard to say when the players aren’t executing out on the field.

Agree this is what it looked like . 

If the never pass backwards is true that is truly insane . I'm assuming  it  is a general  guideline . 

Risdon did hug the touchline all game but cejudo not so much . 

Not a big fan of the 4-1-2-3 as played last week.  Seems like the 2 number 10s have a huge workload when baby baccus moves  between the centre backs they have to work hard to get back to to the ball and then also expect them to get into the attacking areas is  a tough ask . Maybe iniesta and Xavi are available . 

Got to think Raul and Risdon are better suited to this system as they are better going forward . 

Is the gombau style patient build up or faster style counter ? 

4 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Was listening to a podcast (The front 3) they had a German guest & Dortmund fan.

Was interesting listening to how he spelt out how Dortmund struggled to change from Tuchel (possession system) to Bosz (high aggressive pressing system). They didn't have the players to implement his system & he wasn't able to adapt his system to the opposition finding him out (man marking). It all came to a head in a big derby against Shalke when they were leading 4-0, found a way to lose it 4-4.

The biggest issue was that he didn't have the players to carry it out & the players didn't 100% believe in it but you need it for a pressing system to work. Players need to make runs which might seem futile but will eventually lead to turning over the ball elsewhere over the field.

His replacement? Made some very interesting comments in regards to philosophy of the team when he came to take over (which I'll draw back to WSW briefly).

He took an approach that was 100% different to Gombau. Dortmund weren't prepared to sacrifice this season, they need champions league. He said it was a waste of coming in & imposing his philosophy on the team because you need the players to implement it. Stöger found a balance between the two systems of Tuchel & Bosz, a little more risk adverse but more stable.

I think it is something that Popa did in his first season, he adapted his style to the players he had at his disposal. It is something that I think that our players but he always wanted to be the best, win silverware.

Interesting comparing the situation above to the current Wanderers season. (Mind this is just fairy la-la land stuff)

Would people rather do what Gombau is doing now? Short/medium term pain for long term gain? No relegation, top 6 make finals, no punishment for losing, why not?

Would people rather do what Stöger is trying to do at Dortmund. Instead of going full Barcelona tiki taka, find a medium between popa's philosophy & Gombau's philosophy? Would take much longer to implement, more like weaning off rather than going cold turkey :lol: 

My perspective: Once Popa was gone, I knew the season was no longer a certainty for silverware. Once Gombau came in, I thought the battle would be top 6 not silverware. I guess I wish that we could have it both ways, have the Gombau style but still be competitive. Central Coast gives me hope that we can change things but it will be a long process.

I’m by no means Gombau out, im still hopeful it will work and there were some green shoots of hope on Saturday. But I’m not down with writing or the season as a process, there is still plenty of games to tweak system, make a couple of squad changes in Jan and make the top 4. With the aim of we go into finals series in peak sexual but competitive football mode.

There is a massive long off season for gombau to go the full Tika Taka. 

Hopefully he can make a couple of squad tweaks in Jan. Getting Antonis is would be a good one. The challenge will be I can’t see him moving a foreign player on so whoever comes in will need to be Australian.

I think if people believe that Gombau is only concentrating on the process, and not worried about winning anything, then they are a bit naive. Doesn't matter what he says.  Saturday was the first little flick of the light switch. But no use torturing yourself over it. Wanderers are always at their best when they catch other teams by surprise, so maybe being in the position we are is not such a bad thing. 

It’s going to be interesting this week. We have 3 players on 4 yellow cards with Santalab, Cornthwaite and Bonevacia for the game against the Jets. The Jets have no suspensions but are without Duncan, O’Donovan and Vargas. 

the following week is our game against Heartless with Cahill, Brandon and Malik.

Looks like it’s time for a match day thread with Mack only needing to do one since there are no W-League or NYL games till the new year.