Sign in to follow this  
mack

Music Thread 3

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Posted (edited)

Middy needs some help with this... this could equally be posted in the International political thread as well but choice this thread.

Background and framing are essential to explain.... Could be long and boring so if not interested don't read any further... 

I am linking 3 things and wonder aloud and the help I need is has this ever been done before  would appreciate examples if anyones knows of any time anyone has done similar.

Links,

1] Movie “ The Grapes of Wrath” arguably the best or one of the best movies ever made, twas made in the late 30’s in black and white.about the poor and how badly they were treated.

2] Tom Joad, who was the main character in the movie, and while he could have been made out to be a sinless goody too shoes, his character is greatly flawed.

3] Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about the poor in the US, and named the song after Tom Joad the character in the movie.... linking arguably one of the most powerful movies about poverty to the US today. 

Springsteen at times takes the lines from the movie and uses them in his song.

Can anyone think where a singer has picked up a say 70 plus year old movie and used many of the lines from the movie in the song.

The theme of this movie could equally apply in the US today me thinks, its an amazing movie even if made in the late 30's

First vide go to 2:25 and listen to the lines. [this vids about the lead character Tom Joad] PS worth watching the entire vid to get how it applies to today 

Second vid BTW its worth listening to the whole thing but go to 5:15 and get the lyrics

Edited by Midfielder

Just enjoy ... pure pleasure ...

A tad different ... Wen hope you like this ... could maybe show your class...

I'll have a think middy re your question but the grapes of wrath was a book first ;)

I was thinking, i feel like the Wizard of Oz might have a few - Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd to start. 

There was that Roxy music song about Casablanca.

There must be hundreds of metal songs referencing horror movies. 

If you actually did expand it out to literary characters you'd have thousands I reckon. 

MTB

The horror .....I thought I left this in the 70’s

:nono:

Posted (edited)

So the Verve have finally settled with Mick and Keef over the royalties to Bitter Sweet Symphony. https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-24/the-verve-reach-deal-with-rolling-stones-over-royalties-on-hit-90s-single-bitter-sweet-symphony/ When the song was released the Stones sued for copyright infringement based on it using a sample of Stones track 'The Last Time'. So the story goes, the Stone Manager at the time in the 90's (now dead) agreed that they could use so many seconds based on a 50/50 royalties split. As soon as the song was released and took off the Stones management said sorry, you used a few seconds too much, we're taking 100%.

The agreement as far as I am aware will only count towards future royalties of course, what exists from the last 20 years will sit in Mick and Keefs bank accounts, I can't see them paying back 20 years worth somehow. I have always thought that Mick has worked the money side of things out  very well over the years, tight arse mean bastards the both of them I suspect. I love the Stones, but as people I have never thought much of both of them, the way they treated Brian Jones was despicable (Charlie Watts agrees with that view), and Richard's jealously push Mick Taylor out. 

Happy for Richard Ashcroft.

Edited by Smoggy

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss.

On 09/04/2019 at 7:15 PM, JackDoff said:

Needs more leather!

this song is so beautiful, Christopher Larkin is a god

6 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

this song is so beautiful, Christopher Larkin is a god

Neverbloom  

That is a beautiful song and carrying on the same or similar theme i.e the mythical game I have put up a song for you called… BE … it is a song by Neil Diamond off his album called Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, first was a series of short stories that were published in Flying magazine in the late 1960s. Latter turned into a book that became a best seller world wide.

Some context for you …the book tells the story of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a seagull who is bored with daily squabbles over food. Seized by a passion for flight, he pushes himself, learning everything he can about flying, until finally his unwillingness to conform results in his expulsion. An outcast, he continues to learn, becoming increasingly pleased with his abilities as he leads a peaceful and happy life.

BE is only one song from the album and it has  mythical  lyrics and similar to “Hollow Knight” a lovely peaceful sound, hope you enjoy..

4 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Neverbloom  

That is a beautiful song and carrying on the same or similar theme i.e the mythical game I have put up a song for you called… BE … it is a song by Neil Diamond off his album called Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, first was a series of short stories that were published in Flying magazine in the late 1960s. Latter turned into a book that became a best seller world wide.

Some context for you …the book tells the story of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a seagull who is bored with daily squabbles over food. Seized by a passion for flight, he pushes himself, learning everything he can about flying, until finally his unwillingness to conform results in his expulsion. An outcast, he continues to learn, becoming increasingly pleased with his abilities as he leads a peaceful and happy life.

BE is only one song from the album and it has  mythical  lyrics and similar to “Hollow Knight” a lovely peaceful sound, hope you enjoy..

thank you i love how relaxing that is, interesting backstory too

here is the full soundtrack if you are interested, i love the atmosphere it helps create

MTB 

Ever since i was a kid I hated these guys :nono:

the hat, the eyepatch....the smiling bearded wanker guy singing 

there’s a dufus looking nerd type , bass? idk , they’re all fuucking annoying !!!!

:xmad:

This isn't my taste, but I deliberately went looking for this song from Climie Fisher, remember then lol, probably not...I went looking for this as takes me straight back to 1994, college, finishing class at college (drawing and stuff) and going to a girls place and without fail she would play this song, and then kick me out before her parents came home from work....I was shocked to see this was released 1988 as I thought it must have been 93 or 94..takes me right back..

do do do do do do.....do do do do do do ooah ooah ooah ooah ooah lol

"Sugar Mountain" uses an amusement park as a metaphor for childood. When we're little kids, life seems like a magical carnival. We spend our time playing and having fun. Mom and Dad are around to take care of us, and we don't even know that we could ever want more out of life. But time goes by, we get older, and the things that once made us happy DON'T make us happy any more.
As we become teenagers, we start to take an interest in sex, and we start to develop that charming adolescent sarcasm and cynicism. The homes and families we loved as children can start to feel like a prison, and we start to long to escape from them. "You can't be 20 on Sugar Mountain," and you can't remain an innocent, happy child forever.
But even when we begin the necessary process of growing up and becoming independent, somewhere deep inside us, there's still a piece of the little children we once were, and we know we'll miss the things we left behind. Even though we know we HAVE to grow up, we sometimes wish we could stay carefree kids just a LITTLE longer.

universally timeless. Every generation will find meaning in this poem.... Wonder, rebellion and self realization... The human condition.

The little kids being immersed in their cultural traditions is lovely to see in this.

Uplifting.