What Floats Your Boat 4

I'm not usually one to take glee from someone else misfortune but allow me to indulge in some schadenfreude for a minute.

I hated high school. Absolutely loathed it. Bullied badly which gave me anxiety and mental scars that still affect me to this day. I haven't spoken to anybody from school since I graduated and I couldn't be happier. 

TBH - I think I came out the other side better for it and I've done pretty well for myself. I have a great job, awesome friends, an amazing partner and have travelled and studied. I've also gone through puberty and scrub up pretty good now too :P 

So it delights me to no end when I see on Facebook that the girls from high school have gone way downhill and the only friends they have to invite to their hens party are their fellow bullies and the odd hanger on that wanted to be cool. 

You can tell they are still desperately  hanging on to their glory days and have done very little with their lives. 

My mum always used to say when I came home in tears that they would never amount to very much and that I'd look back and laugh at them one day. When you're 13, that's hard to imagine but now that day has come, boy is it ******* great!

:tusk:

It would feel too mean to put this in the WRGMG thread.

I'm actually exhausted. Have spent much of the weekend correcting lonnnnng speeches for my Yr 11 ESL (mainly Chinese) class to present to their peers.

I won't bore you with the details, but a student (lets call him Fred) who struggles a lot,  presented something longer than I expected...which I am currently editing for him.

Earlier today when he submitted it...

Me  Well done! You've written a lot...is it all in you own words?

Student Yes Miss...well I wrote it in my language and then used Google Translate.

Me (having seen this once or twice before  :rofl::rofl:)    Hmm OK .... well.... I'll go through it for you.

Allow me to share one paragraph  with you

"However, after the ranger in the forest was bitten by a snake, represented by William aboriginal families, the wound for him, take him on a stretcher to the after treatment, he thoroughly in aboriginal change, from hearsay to self feels, he's just arrived in guilt and I'm very sorry for the natives, he allowed the natives on your garden, but they also admit mistake, William should not be casually mining wood, finally understand each other, happy endings. From the ranger, such a rejection of emotional and physical and psychological help to generate all change, from a racial discrimination, become a tolerant person, is also a challenge for psychological."

Three typed pages.... thankfully not all as confused as that.

OK...I'd better get back to it .....to turn it into something he can present tomorrow.

PS I do know what he means.... :D

Sigh...

Absolutely!

It would be seen as a bizarre form of plagiarism really.

I've only ever seen one other student attempt it in a Science assignment.... with absolutely hilarious consequences.

Honestly, what the kids come up with themselves is better than anything Google Translate comes up with.

This boy is a bit special. His peers are very bright on the whole, and very conscientious. They wouldn't try it.

It is DEFINITELY not something to be condoned or accepted from kids.

6 minutes ago, wendybr said:

8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Absolutely!

It would be seen as a bizarre form of plagiarism really.

I've only ever seen one other student attempt it in a Science assignment.... with absolutely hilarious consequences.

Honestly, what the kids come up with themselves is better than anything Google Translate comes up with.

This boy is a bit special. His peers are very bright on the whole, and very conscientious. They wouldn't try it.

It is DEFINITELY not something to be condoned or accepted from kids.

But you are spending your evening sorting it out for him......which isn't a criticism, wish I had teachers like you at school because I know I would have been given a big fat red F lol 

I hear what you're saying, Boro.

They've all had the chance to have their grammar corrected in a first draft.....which is what took me all weekend....on and off.  Their speeches are 8-10 mins long, and most are quite sophisticated, but with varying degrees of grammatical correctness..

It will take lesson after lesson to get through all the speeches.

I want them to be learning from each other.... not spending lesson after lesson scratching their heads about what they're listen to.

This poor kid is actually repeating Yr 11.  He doesn't have the skills to function here. I suspect he didn't have the skills to function in his home country either.

I don't want his classmates to have ten minutes of their time wasted....listening to gibberish....nor do I want him to have other kids rolling their eyes etc while he speaks incomprehensibly.

If that makes sense.

:):)

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

They've all had the chance to have their grammar corrected in a first draft.....which is what took me all weekend....on and off.  Their speeches are 8-10 mins long, and most are quite sophisticated, but with varying degrees of grammatical correctness..

I want them to be learning from each other.... not spending lesson after lesson scratching their heads about what they're listen to.

This poor kid is actually repeating Yr 11.  He doesn't have the skills to function here. I suspect he didn't have the skills to function in his home country either.

I don't want his classmates to have ten minutes of their time wasted....listening to gibberish....nor do I want him to have other kids rolling their eyes etc while he speaks incomprehensibly.

If that makes sense.

Yep, makes perfect sense. He is lucky to have you as his teacher, I mean in my day you were just called a dumb ****er and had the board rubber thrown at your head lol

Edited by WSWBoro

Times have changed ...mercifully!

PS I detest the word "dumb"...and it breaks my heart to think of all the generations of kids labelled cruelly as "dumb", who these days would be recognised as being perfectly intelligent, but perhaps experiencing one or other specific learning difficulty.

1 hour ago, CaptainJess said:

I'm not usually one to take glee from someone else misfortune but allow me to indulge in some schadenfreude for a minute.

I hated high school. Absolutely loathed it. Bullied badly which gave me anxiety and mental scars that still affect me to this day. I haven't spoken to anybody from school since I graduated and I couldn't be happier. 

TBH - I think I came out the other side better for it and I've done pretty well for myself. I have a great job, awesome friends, an amazing partner and have travelled and studied. I've also gone through puberty and scrub up pretty good now too :P 

So it delights me to no end when I see on Facebook that the girls from high school have gone way downhill and the only friends they have to invite to their hens party are their fellow bullies and the odd hanger on that wanted to be cool. 

You can tell they are still desperately  hanging on to their glory days and have done very little with their lives. 

My mum always used to say when I came home in tears that they would never amount to very much and that I'd look back and laugh at them one day. When you're 13, that's hard to imagine but now that day has come, boy is it ******* great!

Whenever I think of the "cool" kids from high school I am reminded of the TISM song "The Parabale of Glen McGraths Haircut"

In particular the line 

"There’s never been a popular teenager yet who’s done rats with their life
It’s the f***ing dorks that give it a real go

Glenn McGrath got 5 for 50 that day"

16 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

Hahahaha excellent !

karma coming back to bite them...I hate bullying and folk being made to feel unwelcome in a group. when people say "The popular crew" grrrrr

popular crew...always think that's a name they've given themselves.

Whoops.....this is the WFMB thread.

well...WFMB Karma :xnod:

14 hours ago, wendybr said:

If that makes sense.

Grammar corrected....Do you sit with your iPad and a red marker reading our posts on this forum and circle our mistakes ?

It's "TOO" Jaggy, not "TO" and "THEIR HEALTH not "THERE HEALTH"...:crazy:

5 hours ago, Jaggy said:

Grammar corrected....Do you sit with your iPad and a red marker reading our posts on this forum and circle our mistakes ?

It's "TOO" Jaggy, not "TO" and "THEIR HEALTH not "THERE HEALTH"...:crazy:

Nope.... not at all. :lol:

I'm almost  always impressed at how well people here express themselves. :xnod:

Ahhh Wendy, too funny. I'm sure it wasn't funny when you were spending your weekend doing it though :lol: Kind of reminds me of our dear, GE friends and their (not there I think? please correct me if I'm wrong grammar police) hilarious attempts at using english via google translate :rofl:

On 11/06/2017 at 1:26 AM, JackDoff said:

Welcome back Jags!     :)

:golecapproves:

On 11/06/2017 at 1:28 AM, Jaggy said:

Why thank you Jack..

i've been to the Music thread looking for you...but unfortunately the music thread doesn't like my iPad and keeps reloading ?

hope all is well my old friend ?

Yes me too, I think it's just my old iPad is too **** and can't handle too many youtube videos!

But that mention of the Juve final loss:cahill:

Congratulations OnceJackoNowNotCalledJackoButUnsureWhyWeCantCallYouJackoBecauseItSeemedLikeADecentName well in :good: Great when all your hard work and efforts are appreciated :)

This one is for you Jack, tupperware :woah: Especially the glass ones, microwavable, easily washed in dishwasher and perfect for loading leftovers when you visit the parents or nonni

20 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Ahhh Wendy, too funny. I'm sure it wasn't funny when you were spending your weekend doing it though :lol: Kind of reminds me of our dear, GE friends and their (not there I think? please correct me if I'm wrong grammar police) hilarious attempts at using english via google translate :rofl:

Yes me too, I think it's just my old iPad is too **** and can't handle too many youtube videos!

Congratulations OnceJackoNowNotCalledJackoButUnsureWhyWeCantCallYouJackoBecauseItSeemedLikeADecentName well in :good: Great when all your hard work and efforts are appreciated :)

This one is for you Jack, tupperware :woah: Especially the glass ones, microwavable, easily washed in dishwasher and perfect for loading leftovers when you visit the parents or nonni

Hahaha....Prydzopolis in regards to the Juve comment...scusami tanto

44 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Tupperware   :smurfpoint:

Don't you get the leftovers handed to you in a pot, wrapped with a tea towel/tablecloth ???     :P

• mack locked this topic