What Floats Your Boat 4

True - but even with the CCs on, I couldn't really follow what they were saying - nor did I actually pick up what the chunk of wood was for (altho, in honesty, I didn't persevere for yery long). :D

On 22/05/2021 at 12:05 PM, Smoggy said:

Tourist in own city stuff today. Did a history walking tour of the Rocks, a few things mentioned I didn't know. 

Now sat looking at sunny harbour with a drink :)

nice.

some good spots through there a d around to millers point 

On 22/05/2021 at 12:05 PM, Smoggy said:

Tourist in own city stuff today. Did a history walking tour of the Rocks, a few things mentioned I didn't know. 

Now sat looking at sunny harbour with a drink :)

Great stuff.

I think it's amazing that we live in one of the great cities of the world, yet most inhabitants don't explore it.

In the past few years, I've made a point of doing exactly that. Exploring my city, and by public transport of which I otherwise in everday day life have no need to use. I get up on a Sunday morning, catch the metro to Chatswood at about 9 am and then transfer to the snail speed trains and get into the city at around 10 am. It's very quiet then, so no crowds around, therefore, I can grab a coffee somewhere and then start wandering.

There is so much to see, and so much construction happening at the moment. Barangaroo is amazing. The new IMax/W Hotel in Darling Harbour, the Central Station revamp, Quay Quarter and Salesforce at Circular Quay, One Sydney Harbour at Barangaroo, 2 new Metro stations at Martin Place and in Pitt St, the newly opened Brookfield Place above Wynyard station with it's amazing shopping experience, Sydney Modern Art Gallery, Sydney Football Stadium. The list is endless. There's just so much to see, and considering I'm an infrastructure/construction nerd, I can't get enough of it.

The new Darling Quarter precinct is a hive of activity (where the old Entertainment Centre was) and has great food options.

2 weeks ago I took the family to a place in Chippendale called Spice Alley for lunch (for my birthday I might add). Just 5 minutes walk from Central station. A great little alley way with about 12-14 Asian counter type establishments, built in a laneway behind old 19th century miners cottages. Plenty of tables in the sun and heaters galore. Great food, great vibe, and cheap. Food cooked quickly. A hidden gem that I saw on Facebook.

There is just so much to see in this city.

18 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Great stuff.

I think it's amazing that we live in one of the great cities of the world, yet most inhabitants don't explore it.

In the past few years, I've made a point of doing exactly that. Exploring my city, and by public transport of which I otherwise in everday day life have no need to use. I get up on a Sunday morning, catch the metro to Chatswood at about 9 am and then transfer to the snail speed trains and get into the city at around 10 am. It's very quiet then, so no crowds around, therefore, I can grab a coffee somewhere and then start wandering.

There is so much to see, and so much construction happening at the moment. Barangaroo is amazing. The new IMax/W Hotel in Darling Harbour, the Central Station revamp, Quay Quarter and Salesforce at Circular Quay, One Sydney Harbour at Barangaroo, 2 new Metro stations at Martin Place and in Pitt St, the newly opened Brookfield Place above Wynyard station with it's amazing shopping experience, Sydney Modern Art Gallery, Sydney Football Stadium. The list is endless. There's just so much to see, and considering I'm an infrastructure/construction nerd, I can't get enough of it.

The new Darling Quarter precinct is a hive of activity (where the old Entertainment Centre was) and has great food options.

2 weeks ago I took the family to a place in Chippendale called Spice Alley for lunch (for my birthday I might add). Just 5 minutes walk from Central station. A great little alley way with about 12-14 Asian counter type establishments, built in a laneway behind old 19th century miners cottages. Plenty of tables in the sun and heaters galore. Great food, great vibe, and cheap. Food cooked quickly. A hidden gem that I saw on Facebook.

There is just so much to see in this city.

Ha..I work not too far from spice alley and know it well. Can be found sitting in the sun around there on my lunch break sometimes. 

I agree with the sentiment of the city being a marvel and so much to explore,  but also, I really did prefer it when they were still cottages (and I lived in one nearby, on youth allowance money!!!!). Can still smell brewing day at the Kent. And wandering down to Chinatown for a 5 dollar laksa that would last a couple of meals easy. And getting blind on a pub crawl that went all night without crossing Broadway or Cleveland st on one shifts worth of work money. Being in that area makes me a bit sad now tbh. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, marron said:

I agree with the sentiment of the city being a marvel and so much to explore,  but also, I really did prefer it when they were still cottages (and I lived in one nearby, on youth allowance money!!!!). Can still smell brewing day at the Kent. And wandering down to Chinatown for a 5 dollar laksa that would last a couple of meals easy. And getting blind on a pub crawl that went all night without crossing Broadway or Cleveland st on one shifts worth of work money. Being in that area makes me a bit sad now tbh. 

Yeah, gentrification has ripped the soul out of many cities. I heard some of the social struggles in the community that lived in the Rocks area on the tour, i knew a bit but not all. For those of us who came to Sydney post 2000 you think of the Rocks as a touristy quaint area that had residents in olden times. I didn't really think of the working class community that was there in the 70's, 80's and in to the early 90's that called it home! Do now of course.

Edited by Smoggy
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, marron said:

Good times. Did many a pub crawl in that region in my younger days, with many a morning massive hangover.

It's a great part of town, and as much as we would like things to stay the same, they just won't. That's why I like exploring these parts of town that were dodgy dungholes when I was a teenager, but have now become quite fashionable trendy areas. Good or bad? I don't know, but I never would have gone to a place like Chippendale now if it was still like it was when I was a teen. Times were different then, and safe.

I actually like the fact that the city is being tidied up. Big time. Maybe I'm just getting old. :)

Edited by Wanderboy
7 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Good times. Did many a pub crawl in that region in my younger days, with many a morning massive hangover.

It's a great part of town, and as much as we would like things to stay the same, they just won't. That's why I like exploring these parts of town that were dodgy dungholes when I was a teenager, but have now become quite fashionable trendy areas. Good or bad? I don't know, but I never would have gone to a place like Chippendale now if it was still like it was when I was a teen. Times were different then, and safe.

I actually like the fact that the city is being tidied up. Big time. Maybe I'm just getting old. :)

Apparently you can order a flat white coffee in Middlesbrough now!

Times they are a changing!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Apparently you can order a flat white coffee in Middlesbrough now!

Times they are a changing!

Sounds flash. Slowly catching up to Newcastle, who introduced them last year. :)

Edited by Wanderboy

Anyway, I'm planning on another walkabout in the city in a couple of weeks.

There's museums I want to visit as well. I've never been to the MOCA at Circular Quay for some reason, and I haven't been to the Art Gallery since I was at school, so those two places are on my hit list soon. I've also never been to the State Library. I'd love to check that out for it's architecture and vibe.

Also, funnily enough, I took both my kids to The Sydney International Boat Show about 6 years ago - just for something to do. No real interest in boats per se, just a fascination

Well, my daughter has begged me to take her every year since. Dunno why but she just loves it - (Even this year and she is now 16). It's just one of our annual Father/Daughter days for some reason. :)

2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

There's museums I want to visit as well. I've never been to the MOCA at Circular Quay for some reason, and I haven't been to the Art Gallery since I was at school, so those two places are on my hit list soon. I've also never been to the State Library. I'd love to check that out for it's architecture and vibe.

Also, funnily enough, I took both my kids to The Sydney International Boat Show about 6 years ago - just for something to do. No real interest in boats per se, just a fascination

Well, my daughter has begged me to take her every year since. Dunno why but she just loves it - (Even this year and she is now 16). It's just one of our annual Father/Daughter days for some reason. :)

Cafe at the top of MOCA has stunning views. Member of the NSW gallery and get to go in the members bit, but not been for ages. 

9 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Just a heads up

If you visit the State Library, you'll need to either use one of the computers at the front desk to hire a locker or download an app called Yellow box. Either option is free of charge.

Also, both the State Art Gallery and the Contemporary Art Gallery do not have cloakroom due to Covid. So they may ask you to wear a backpack on your chest to avoid knocking over things.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Cafe at the top of MOCA has stunning views. Member of the NSW gallery and get to go in the members bit, but not been for ages. 

I've heard that about the views re that cafe. 

I've eaten at Cafe Sydney above Customs House a few times (and even done construction work there - 36 hr day and over nighters). I'd imagine the views would be similar, albeit from a different angle.

4 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

Just a heads up

If you visit the State Library, you'll need to either use one of the computers at the front desk to hire a locker or download an app called Yellow box. Either option is free of charge.

Also, both the State Art Gallery and the Contemporary Art Gallery do not have clockrooms due to Covid. So they may ask you to wear a backpack on your chest to avoid knocking over things.

Thanks for the heads up mate.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Yeah, gentrification has ripped the soul out of many cities. I heard some of the social struggles in the community that lived in the Rocks area on the tour, i knew a bit but not all. For those of us who came to Sydney post 2000 you think of the Rocks as a touristy quaint area that had residents in olden times. I didn't really think of the working class community that was there in the 70's, 80's and in to the early 90's that called it home! Do now of course.

Mate i was taking kids on excursions there till recently and there were still residents, I used to make a point of dragging kids across the street to talk to them. I think the last was booted out only in the the last couple of years.

I get change and that's fine, but we are 100% better for it when the change allows for a diversity of socio-economic status in places with access to all the good stuff.

Sydney used to have that in a lot of places and it just doesn't any more. 

But yes it still does have a lot of cool stuff. And it does still have lots of weird little pockets that I too enjoy exploring when I can. 

Edited by marron

Coming back from taking my dad shopping and pulled up next to a bus ( Not in Service ) with the driver pumping out Bowie on the buses speakers.......lol

Nice.

THe fish and chips shop up my way during covid restrictions had people waiting on the outside in the cold to collect their orders, one time i walked past and they were playing the Smiths. Something about it just felt a bit off haha.

Should never flick the electric blanket on before getting up on a morning...so ******* cosy in bed and don’t wanna get up :meep:

But the wife is telling me I have to shift  :nono:

Posted (edited)
On 28/05/2021 at 3:30 PM, marron said:

Nice.

THe fish and chips shop up my way during covid restrictions had people waiting on the outside in the cold to collect their orders, one time i walked past and they were playing the Smiths. Something about it just felt a bit off haha.

If that’s the chippy I am thinking they are terrible. I went there after a bush walk once. The Thai in Blackheath is decent enough, as is the Victory Theatre caf. As for the Gardeners Inn, would never go back there.

Anyway, planning to finally do that aborted Grand Canyon walk before end June. Aborted as it was more fun playing in the snow that day. Been up a few times since but not Blackheath way.

Edited by Smoggy

We only have one :lol: It's always busy - always - but yeah I've never been impressed, even the chips aren't great. 

Bistro is not bad but expensive-ish. 

250,000 people through the Grand Canyon last year. The local ranger was telling me they'll be building a car park soon. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, marron said:

We only have one :lol: It's always busy - always - but yeah I've never been impressed, even the chips aren't great. 

Bistro is not bad but expensive-ish. 

250,000 people through the Grand Canyon last year. The local ranger was telling me they'll be building a car park soon. 

There used to be a chippy on the main strip in Blackheath run by an old fella. Near where the newsagent is now but not sure of the exact spot or what shop replaced it. He did some decent fish n chips and liked a chat. I think that closed a few years back now.

Edited by Smoggy
Posted (edited)

depending on how long you are up and the weather that bald head walk would be pretty magic this time of year too.

Edited by marron
On 02/05/2021 at 7:37 PM, wendybr said:

I'm watching LegoMasters.

Is there something wrong with me?

:lol::lol:

Now, I'm watching Battle Bots!

Hilarious...altho  it's a bit violent.

:lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...