What Floats Your Boat 4

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Condensed milk sangers??

No I wouldn't eat one, but I met someone who half lived on them.

PS - what's this "sarnies" nonsense?? :nea:

Sarnies...thought you like slang and all that :D Growing up in the Boro if you asked your mate was was 'in there sandwiches today' that wouldn't go down well it was 'I got egg sarnies in me bait box today like'

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Yes.... but here in Oz they're sangers!!!

I had to guess at what you were saying...before I spotted Carns' link - although I might have heard of the word before.

I like snags for sausages..i use that but sanger will never replace sarnie..memories of primary school and your mates asking what your mam has put in your sarnie and then swapping..the kid who was always trying to swap fish paste sarnies....nahhh get ****ed...

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

No fried egg sarnie, lived off those..and also used to love fish finger sarnies...got to make one of those again..

I still have fish finger on a fresh bread roll....love 'em......also salmon rissoles on a roll as well........yum !....with salad on them as well ......even better

Edited by sonar
7 minutes ago, sonar said:

I still have fish finger on a fresh bread roll....love 'em......also salmon rissoles on a roll as well........yum !

I used to order something called a 'spash' from a chippy. Basically a big stottie (Wendy should know what that is) packed full of chips..bits of fish and a big dollop of mushy peas plus batter scraps all packed in to the big stottie...was amazing...

Edited by Smoggy
18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I used to order something called a 'spash' from a chippy. Basically a big stottie (Wendy should know what that is) packed full of chips..bits of fish and a big dollop of mushy peas plus batter scraps all packed in to the big stottie...was amazing...

Yes please

23 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

No idea what either a spash or a stottie are...

OK... nope never heard of it.

Sounds ...very....clogging! :lol:

The heavy texture of the bread gives it its name. To "stott" means "to bounce"[6] because if dropped it would (in theory) bounce (this could also refer to the fact that it was merely thrown upon the oven floor). Stotting is also used by biologists to describe the jumping behaviour of antelopes in response to predators. "

Learn something every day...don't we?

PS Do you put gravy over it? :unknw:

How do you eat it?

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

Yes.... but here in Oz they're sangers!!!

I had to guess at what you were saying...before I spotted Carns' link - although I might have heard of the word before.

Sarnies is sandwiches to me, although not heard often. Can't say I've heard of sangers.

10 minutes ago, wendybr said:

OK... nope never heard of it.

Sounds ...very....clogging! :lol:

The heavy texture of the bread gives it its name. To "stott" means "to bounce"[6] because if dropped it would (in theory) bounce (this could also refer to the fact that it was merely thrown upon the oven floor). Stotting is also used by biologists to describe the jumping behaviour of antelopes in response to predators. "

Learn something every day...don't we?

PS Do you put gravy over it? :unknw:

How do you eat it?

You would eat it as just a normal sandwich that is packed full of chips and other things I mentioned. It tended to be the chippy left overs and so was cheap..but filling (they are very big) and tasted pretty good. 

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

You would eat it as just a normal sandwich that is packed full of chips and other things I mentioned. It tended to be the chippy left overs and so was cheap..but filling (they are very big) and tasted pretty good. 

You can put almost anything on a sandwich or roll and it'll taste ok........lol

My dads been known to have party pies on a roll...lol

WFMB...onto another subject...

Actually, I'm not sure if this floats my boat or disturbs me but...wildlife in the suburbs...

In the last few days, we've had 2 different sized brush turkey babies scooting around our garden...a garden where 6 cats live. :unsure:

The first was a little bigger than the second, was very quick in scooting over the road...and darting between patches of vegetation, til he disappeared.

A few days later, a smaller one darted around the garden before hopping over the back fence ...where it was chased by 2 yappy little dogs.

Poor things.

I understand they are on their own from the day they are born, and have to fend for themselves!! :(

But...best of all I learnt that the people across the road have a beautiful baby fox visit them!! He looks in the window at them quite often at night!

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

WFMB...onto another subject...

Actually, I'm not sure if this floats my boat or disturbs me but...wildlife in the suburbs...

In the last few days, we've had 2 different sized brush turkey babies scooting around our garden...a garden where 6 cats live. :unsure:

The first was a little bigger than the second, was very quick in scooting over the road...and darting between patches of vegetation, til he disappeared.

A smaller one darted around the garden before hopping over the back fence a few days later...where it was chased by 2 yappy little dogs.

Poor things.

I understand they are on their own from the day they are born, and have to fend for themselves!! :(

But...best of all I learnt that the people across the road have a beautiful baby fox visit them!! He looks in the window at them quite often at night!

brush turkey sarnie.....possible...

See brush turkeys around residential streets near bush areas all the time when walking the dogs. The boy dog (Wolfhound Cross) is very fond of them and always wants to "play".

And Wendy, for the record my old man was born near Bathurst and used both the words sarnie and sanger. Sarnie was probably used more frequently.

Nowadays the only time I use sanger is when making/eating banger sangers.

• mack locked this topic