What Floats Your Boat 4

11 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

Balks and I were at El Jannah's in Blacktown last week. Apart from one of the best damn chicken rolls I've ever had from EJ's, the thing I loved the most was the amazing multi-cultural dining room. 

Here we were, a Bosnian and an Anglo sitting with Indians, Islanders, Wogs and Asians eating middle-eastern food. It was ******* brilliant.

I love the fact that within 10mins of our house, I can get proper traditional Thai, Vietnamese, Mediterranean, Italian, Chinese and Lebanese food. I love going to all the Chinese festivals in Cabramatta every year. We have a Laos temple down the road from us and their celebrations are always huge and joyful. I'm going to head to the Republic Day celebrations at Marconi on Sunday and stuff myself with pizza, cannoli and Italian gingerbread.  

I honestly pity people who live a sheltered existence in the Eastern Suburbs and Northern Beaches. My life has been so much fuller knowing so many people from different backgrounds and experiencing the best their culture has to offer right in my backyard. 

It’s ace I love it, you can experience every culture

btw have you done the Iraqi Resteraunt in Fairfield it’s fantastic

8 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

It’s ace I love it, you can experience every culture

btw have you done the Iraqi Resteraunt in Fairfield it’s fantastic

There used to be a really good Iranian restaurant near Parra that is sadly no longer there, that was very good. 

Our health system and Medicare.

My dad who is 89 had a bit of a fall and hurt his foot. Took him to emegency at Mt Druitt hospital. I can't stress enough how good they were to him. Straight in....did all the test.....etc. Spent two hours in observation just to make sure he was ok. Treated him with dignity and respect, Couldn't ask for more better treatment. Didn't cost him a cent.

Glad this isn't the USA. 

40 minutes ago, sonar said:

Our health system and Medicare.

My dad who is 89 had a bit of a fall and hurt his foot. Took him to emegency at Mt Druitt hospital. I can't stress enough how good they were to him. Straight in....did all the test.....etc. Spent two hours in observation just to make sure he was ok. Treated him with dignity and respect, Couldn't ask for more better treatment. Didn't cost him a cent.

Glad this isn't the USA. 

Yep, they’re pretty good with the oldies, been to emergency heaps of times with both parents n relos. Straight in n looked after well. This was at Blacktown though. On the other hand if you’re younger n going to emergency.....:xmad:

6 fuucking hours later , midnight until 6am...yeah great

I did the whole metro thing today. A nice sunny day out on my own.

Drove to Tallawong. Parked. Queued up with the throngs. Caught the Metro to Chatswood, and then the snail train double decker to Wynyard. Then spent a few hours around Darling Harbour and the newly built Darling Quarter (where the old Entertainment Centre was. Gee how that area has changed!! I had a sensational lunch in a little indoor food court in Chinatown that I never even knew existed until I stumbled across it today. Packed to the hilt, with probably 12-15 little Asian food outlets of all types. A really buzzing place.

The Metro is ******* impressive. Fast, smooth and efficient. Sure there were some teething problems today, but over 100 000 people used it on its first day. The govt and those at north west metro handled everything so well. Huge crowds at Chatswood were dispersed quickly upon each train arrival.

Don't believe any of the negative shite on social media platforms from today.

It's an impressive system and will be a huge bonus to us in the Hills once it is up and fully operational (about 3-6 months).

I lived in ultimo for a bit, about 20 years ago. Darling Harbour at night - particularly down the Haymarket end - could be dodgy. It's weird to walk through it now with how clean and busy it is.

Also I lived off food court food, there are  still 3 or 4 of them tucked away in places off Dixon St. What always interested me was how the crown would change. Like, for a while it would be Eating World, it would be packed as anything,  then it would be the upstairs one (Sussex centre?) etc. The 5 dollar laksa at Eating World was the best, used to get it all the time. Then they refurbished and it didn't come back.

Couldn't even dream of getting a room for 80 bucks a week in there now. 

On 24/05/2019 at 11:46 AM, CaptainJess said:

Balks and I were at El Jannah's in Blacktown last week. Apart from one of the best damn chicken rolls I've ever had from EJ's, the thing I loved the most was the amazing multi-cultural dining room. 

Here we were, a Bosnian and an Anglo sitting with Indians, Islanders, Wogs and Asians eating middle-eastern food. It was ******* brilliant.

I love the fact that within 10mins of our house, I can get proper traditional Thai, Vietnamese, Mediterranean, Italian, Chinese and Lebanese food. I love going to all the Chinese festivals in Cabramatta every year. We have a Laos temple down the road from us and their celebrations are always huge and joyful. I'm going to head to the Republic Day celebrations at Marconi on Sunday and stuff myself with pizza, cannoli and Italian gingerbread.  

I honestly pity people who live a sheltered existence in the Eastern Suburbs and Northern Beaches. My life has been so much fuller knowing so many people from different backgrounds and experiencing the best their culture has to offer right in my backyard. 

I don't usually like recommending restaurants cos when others go there they think they are **** but went to a place I never new existed on the weekend, a restaurant called Zac's (Afghan food mainly) at a poky little corner of Bella Vista.  The food was great but exactly as you mention, the multicultural vibe in that place made me just sit back and think how lucky I am and how others really miss out.  The missus and I were actually discussing this exact thing over dinner.  If anyone has any recommendations for some good food in the Blacktown/Hills area feel free to let me know, always looking for some new ones. 

Edited by scarcev
8 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

Eating World, was that the one with Gumshara? Is it gone now? :(

Eating World is still there, it's at the top end of the main bit of Dixon St, on the left. The refurbishment was in like 2002 or something :lol: What's Gumshara? Are they the evil Bastards who replaced the friendly thai couple that kept me alive with their massive laksas?

1 hour ago, marron said:

Eating World is still there, it's at the top end of the main bit of Dixon St, on the left. The refurbishment was in like 2002 or something :lol: What's Gumshara? Are they the evil Bastards who replaced the friendly thai couple that kept me alive with their massive laksas?

Gumshara is one of the best ramen places you can visit in Sydney :)

On 27/05/2019 at 7:11 AM, scarcev said:

I don't usually like recommending restaurants cos when others go there they think they are **** but went to a place I never new existed on the weekend, a restaurant called Zac's (Afghan food mainly) at a poky little corner of Bella Vista.  The food was great but exactly as you mention, the multicultural vibe in that place made me just sit back and think how lucky I am and how others really miss out.  The missus and I were actually discussing this exact thing over dinner.  If anyone has any recommendations for some good food in the Blacktown/Hills area feel free to let me know, always looking for some new ones. 

Ever tried Chatkazz in Bella Vista?

It's worth it if you like Indian food. It's street food - and quite amazing - as I've posted once before.

Maybe not if you like a long slow meal - the service is so efficient you can order, be served and out quite quickly ...but it's worth if for the experience.

All vego - but I promise you, you won't miss meat.

Indian pizzas, samosa sandwiches - seriously. It's very good.

There's also one in Harris Park.

https://www.zomato.com/sydney/chatkazz-indian-restaurant-bella-vista

17 minutes ago, Erimus said:

The lad stood up at school and gave a speech on multiculturalism and the wanderers entitled 'These colours unite us all'. :D It was actually surprisingly bloody good and he has got a good mark from the teacher :good: 

Don't know where he gets it from, personally I ******* hate the lot of you.

Not to worry. The feeling is mutual.***

*** Unless, of course, you provide us with more sketches.

24 minutes ago, Erimus said:

The lad stood up at school and gave a speech on multiculturalism and the wanderers entitled 'These colours unite us all'. :D It was actually surprisingly bloody good and he has got a good mark from the teacher :good: 

Don't know where he gets it from, personally I ******* hate the lot of you.

Yeah well I always thought you were a cun....

:P

6 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Are they really that good?

Been thinking of getting one for a while.

Advantages/disadvantages?

we're finding it great. cooks waaaay faster than our shitty old oven or any oven i've used before. no need for cooking oil, drains the fats and oils from the foods as well. fairly cheap too at $69.  

• mack locked this topic