What Floats Your Boat 4

4 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Wendy, I've been putting buckets of water out in my backyard for local birds and topping up every few days, for several weeks now. Also been putting flat plates of water out for lizards etc... 

I'm sure the possums have been making use of it at night as well.

That's so lovely to hear, WB. :good:

I'm a bit restricted at home because of the cats...but I will deffinitely try to do things a bit further from home,  I think.

There are dozens of cockatoos who scavenge for scraps during term time at my school.

I look after some plants there during long school breaks, but I'll try to put out water for them when I visit tomorrow.

You do feel helpless in the face of the scale of this...but I guess all you can do is take what action you can close to home.

PS Thanks to Sonar too...for lfting my spirits.

:):)

I've just topped the water up with fresh from the tap.

There are lorikeets, Indian mynas and a Kookaburra at the water plate already. They all get along so well.

The Aussie Mynahs can GAGF'ed. All they do is chase all the other native birds away. I despise them. (Sorry Wendy). I chase them away any time I see them. They are a severe pest and so aggressive.

The good Myna...introduced from India in the 1880's.

myna.jpg?itok=FlJa-UTt

The Noisy Myna which is a bastard....and aggressive to all other birds. I'm doing my bit.

noisy%20miner%20background.JPG?itok=d8zq

Conservation status[edit]

Being abundant throughout its significant range, the noisy miner is considered of least concern for conservation,[1] and its extreme population densities in some areas actually constitute a threat to other species. The strong correlation between the presence of noisy miners and the absence of avian diversity has been well documented.[62] The role played by the noisy miner in the steep decline of many woodland birds, its impact on endangered species with similar foraging requirements, and the level of leaf damage leading to die-back that accompanies the exclusion of insectivorous birds from remnant woodlands, means that any strategy to restore avian diversity will need to take account of the management of noisy miner populations.[63] 

Edited by Wanderboy

Was coming here to post

giphy.gif

No smoke*

No sirens

Went to the pool for the first time since things got hairy and caught up with few people

Pizza for dinner

Cool outside

Birds aplenty - Kings destroying the neighbours apple tree, Satin Bower going at the vege patch, can't begrudge her. Wattles aplenty. Rosella family.

*for a good proportion of the day

29 minutes ago, marron said:

Was coming here to post

giphy.gif

No smoke*

No sirens

Went to the pool for the first time since things got hairy and caught up with few people

Pizza for dinner

Cool outside

Birds aplenty - Kings destroying the neighbours apple tree, Satin Bower going at the vege patch, can't begrudge her. Wattles aplenty. Rosella family.

*for a good proportion of the day

Great to hear that those of you in the thick of the fires have had some relief, Marron.

And that your birds are doing OK!

PS Your smoke was down here with us today!

Continuing to eat and drink my way acrosa SA and Vic.

Steam exchange brewery Goolwa (last bend of the Murray river). Awesome hancrafted ales in a stunning location..can recommend. 

Change of plans today as extreme fire risk. Suggested to the wife hiring a boat on the Murray for the day....no chance she said, dont get what she is worried about....:pardon:

Edited by Smoggy
54 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Continuing to eat and drink my way acrosa SA and Vic.

Steam exchange brewery Goolwa (last bend of the Murray river). Awesome hancrafted ales in a stunning location..can recommend. 

Change of plans today as extreme fire risk. Suggested to the wife hiring a boat on the Murray for the day....no chance she said, dont get what she is worried about....:pardon:

Victor Harbour is only a train ride away if I remember rightly.

And what have you done to Boro?

9 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Also anyone heard of the Largs Bay Hotel Adelaide?

Big bands played there back in the day. Anazing food and drink now..was there Friday before the football..

Lived a kilometre down the road at Semaphore....on the waterfront....in a 1 bed apartment for $65pw......great place. No waves at the beach though.......and a great place to catch fish off Semaphore pier.

Edited by sonar
2 hours ago, sonar said:

Lived a kilometre down the road at Semaphore....on the waterfront....in a 1 bed apartment for $65pw......great place. No waves at the beach though.......and a great place to catch fish off Semaphore pier.

Went to Semaphore ,Friday night ,instead of the game :ninja:

Got fish n chips from Sotos, 1 hour wait it was that busy :nono:

looks like a nice part of SA 

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Also anyone heard of the Largs Bay Hotel Adelaide?

Big bands played there back in the day. Anazing food and drink now..was there Friday before the football..

16 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

The long and short of it is, you two should arrange a beer together while in SA - if not too late.

14 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

I was coming home from the city after a night out once and got the last bus. Drunk as. As we got to Semaphore I was the last passenger so the driver stops the bus out the front ,asks me where my house key was.Took the keys, opened the door to let me in, and said......"no offence mate but there was no way you were opening that door in your condition"....... lol......and then got back on the bus to finish his run.

2 hours ago, JackDoff said:

Instead of the game!!! Should have been in the away bay man lol

Star of Greece eating place at Port Willunga is good.

Edited by Smoggy
On 29/12/2019 at 6:16 PM, wendybr said:

I contemplated putting this elsewhere less cheery, because it's not a cheerful story overall.

I was at a market at a school today, when a very friendly magpie approached me.

She/he was a bit too interested in human company for it to be normal...and after watching her for a while, it seemed likely she was hungry and thirsty.

The grass was crispy...and a few of them were scratching in the dry dirt, and catchi g nothing at all.

A man making goslemes gave me some mince...and maggie was happy to be hand fed.

I put down a cup of water, and she drank from it.

Later, I went and bought some strips of beef stir fry...brought it back, and she collected it as parent birds do, and hopped into some undergrowth, obviously to share it with an offspring.

I also bought 2 large dishes, filled them with water, which she drank from. I desperately hope it tides them overtil I can visit next weeked.

I will try and take more meat every day, if I can attract her attention from outside the school gates, because you can see that there is nothing for them to feed on, the way they can feed after rain, for example.

The only thing that floated my boat was the resiliance and bravery of the bird to approach humans.

What worries and saddens me is that this must be happening everywhere.

I havent really been monitoring birds closer to home, or trying to help them out...but I will check them out and help if I can.

And I guess I would remind any of the kind souls here who might be able to do something similar,  to be on the look out for creatures around us which must be doing it so tough in these conditions.

PS A few people who noticed what I was doing chipped in with how they are leaving water out for possums or birds, so there are many good humans trying to play a part.

That's boat floating!

:)

Went back to the venue where I'd encountered the maggie on Sunday, to find that it was unexpectedly open (gates open, and one car parked - security? groundsman??).

Anyway, a magpie flew over my head as I was heading in, and straight across the normally busy road, at very low altitude. She hopefully doesn't do that later in the day (this was at 7.30, and it wasnt busy, but she could easily have been hit by a car if there was traffic). :o

I crossed the road, put down some meat strips.  She collected them all and flew back over the road (again, too low).

So I know she and baby bird got a feed (of course, I don't know if it was the same bird).

But I will now worry for her crossing that road, flying crazy low, in search of food, as she obviously does.

:(

PS After that, I left food for birds at my school...and hosed...yes...hosed a few parched gardens.

My principal told me that schools are exempt from the restrictions, which I hope is actually true. Haven't researched it, but they were exempt during the last lot of restriction as I recall.

Actually, schools are a real sanctuary for birdlife. We have hundreds of birds. Schools should become an oasis for struggling wild birds in these conditions....if there are volunteers who can top up water bowls etc for them.

Just listen to an ESPN podcast where the A-league was discussed in context of VAR.

Opinion was that Georgievski penalty against Adelaide was not a penalty including from an ex-EPL referee (Peter Walton). The panel did discuss the Simon Hill-Chris Beath interview post match where they liked the interview. However, they said Simon was too easy on Beath.

But what really floats my boat is that the Mullet's upgrade from yellow to red has gone viral around the world according to ESPN and all at the voice our nemesis KGJ. 

OK I just fell in love with this song again!

I'm just a few months late getting to know this young guy.

I don't watch Australia's Got Talent - but now I wish I had.

Maybe it's just Johnny we have got sick of....it's a great song.

On 01/01/2020 at 8:40 AM, wendybr said:

Guillotine all Monarchs & Billionaires, the workers seize the means of production and can fix the problem instead of politicians sidestepping it because it doesn't make a profit for their backers.

What do I win?

• mack locked this topic