mack

What Really Grinds My Gears 5

Unbelievable that they had 39 (I think) in Perth yesterday?

Oh....and for the last 3 days - I have heard cicadas!

CICADAS!!

In April!

Poor things - they can't know what's what any more. :blink:

5 hours ago, Burgerman said:

Yeah rug up put on a heater it is a cold few days even going for a walk was chilly today. 

thank you will do, i didnt mind last winter too much but usually its so cold

currently fox sports are showing random a league grand finals..........no matter which i watch there is no happiness :P

8 hours ago, JackDoff said:

WRGMG

The Lion King

The songs ,the story

it sux balls

:xmad:

I recommend the Lego movies.

I think their tune was pretty catchy........:meep:

Everything is awesome, everything is cool when you're part of a team
Everything is awesome, when you're living out a dream
Everything is better when we stick together
Some have said you and I are gonna win forever?

hey @wendybr, our new walk out song?

Just now, Prydzopolis said:

Maybe for our mascots :lol:

That would be......awesome!

12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I found it a bit slow, needed to mufasa 

The simba-lism scarred me.

On 16/04/2020 at 1:14 PM, JackDoff said:

WRGMG

The Lion King

The songs ,the story

it sux balls

:xmad:

15 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I found it a bit slow, needed to mufasa 

3 hours ago, marron said:

The simba-lism scarred me.

I'm not sure I can take this lion down.

The mane thing that gets me is the pawsity of pawsitive comments. It's really pawr.

Hmmm...I can't really join in here, be claws I've never seen "The Lion King"...well, not all of it.

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Hmmm...I can't really join in here, be claws I've never seen "The Lion King"...well, not all of it.

As long as you don't take pride in it

23 minutes ago, mack said:

Into hour 13 of trying to setup an old PC of mine for my sister.

Can you come and fix our WiFi when you're finished?  :)

46 minutes ago, mack said:

Into hour 13 of trying to setup an old PC of mine for my sister.

mack, I have to ask....why so long....?

50 minutes ago, sonar said:

mack, I have to ask....why so long....?

The case I have spare is a horizontal style case meant to be used as a HTPC (although it fits full sized motherboards), it's quite cramped and small compared to a tower case. Firstly I had to remove a 10 year old system from the case. Then it took me most of last night to build in it, and then once I got everything in place, I needed more time to actually get the thing closed (it has a really stupid mechanism on the back panel). And it was late so I went to bed.

Today I went to try it this afternoon and load everything in, only for it to not work at all. It took me several hours troubleshooting to try and fix the issue (and I started with things that didn't end up being the issue because you always start with obvious potential errors like bad cables, but they didn't turn out to be any of those). I ended up having to pull the entire PC out of the case and build it outside of it. Eventually I figured out it was the graphics card not working properly because the case it was in wasn't giving it enough room to fully slot into it's place on the motherboard, while also causing issues with the cable ports.

Once I got all that done, I then went to install windows, on an old SSD from that very old system I took from that first old system. It took a while to install, then just as I thought I had got it all setup, the SSD started to randomly fail to be detected, would turn off and bluescreen.

So I had to go find the old hard drive I was going to use and instead had to hook that up and then install windows. Which takes an eternity on a regular old slow HDD.

It seems to be working now, and I'm in the process of putting everything back into the case.

Hopefully I don't get the same issue with the graphics card, although now that I know it was the problem originally I should be able to stop it happening. If it happens again I'll have to consider buying a new case (and probably a new SSD because I might as well) and rebuilding the whole thing for a fourth time. It's already the longest I've ever spent building & troubleshooting a single PC by far.

8 minutes ago, mack said:

The case I have spare is a horizontal style case meant to be used as a HTPC (although it fits full sized motherboards), it's quite cramped and small compared to a tower case. Firstly I had to remove a 10 year old system from the case. Then it took me most of last night to build in it, and then once I got everything in place, I needed more time to actually get the thing closed (it has a really stupid mechanism on the back panel). And it was late so I went to bed.

Today I went to try it this afternoon and load everything in, only for it to not work at all. It took me several hours troubleshooting to try and fix the issue (and I started with things that didn't end up being the issue because you always start with obvious potential errors like bad cables, but they didn't turn out to be any of those). I ended up having to pull the entire PC out of the case and build it outside of it. Eventually I figured out it was the graphics card not working properly because the case it was in wasn't giving it enough room to fully slot into it's place on the motherboard, while also causing issues with the cable ports.

Once I got all that done, I then went to install windows, on an old SSD from that very old system I took from that first old system. It took a while to install, then just as I thought I had got it all setup, the SSD started to randomly fail to be detected, would turn off and bluescreen.

So I had to go find the old hard drive I was going to use and instead had to hook that up and then install windows. Which takes an eternity on a regular old slow HDD.

It seems to be working now, and I'm in the process of putting everything back into the case.

Hopefully I don't get the same issue with the graphics card, although now that I know it was the problem originally I should be able to stop it happening. If it happens again I'll have to consider buying a new case (and probably a new SSD because I might as well) and rebuilding the whole thing for a fourth time. It's already the longest I've ever spent building & troubleshooting a single PC by far.

Legend!!

50 minutes ago, mack said:

I've got a writing pad, pen, calculator (with a backup abacus), envelopes and encyclopedia set you can have. I'll even throw in some postage stamps.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I've got a writing pad, pen, calculator (with a backup abacus), envelopes and encyclopedia set you can have. I'll even throw in some postage stamps.

......I've got an old round dial telephone he can have as well....:P

Edited by sonar

It did turn out to be an issue with the case, I had to move the graphics card again so the plug would fit in and work properly. Managed to get it done without having to buy more stuff.

It's finally done.

After doing all the setup, I uncovered with the last check I had to do (audio) that it was causing major problems, slowing down the system, stuttering & glitchy audio.

Cue 4 more hours of troubleshooting, opening up the case again to do some card position swaps after I realised it was the wifi card not the audio device, and then as I reached my last straw, finding a post saying "yeah just point the wifi card antennas away from each other" that instantly solved the problem. 

It's the dumbest most non-intuitive solution to a tech problem I've ever seen. It didn't even need both of them, it just uses two so it can pick between different access points. And instead it was (apparently?) constantly flipping between two very strong signals that were 2 meters away from the router and lagging the entire system. :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

:tired:

Well I barely understood that, but it sounds very frustrating.

Annnd..I still have no WiFi!

On 12 April 2020 at 9:00 PM, wendybr said:

Unbelievable that they had 39 (I think) in Perth yesterday?

Oh....and for the last 3 days - I have heard cicadas!

CICADAS!!

In April!

Poor things - they can't know what's what any more. :blink:

Yep 3 days of 37,36 and 39.

We get heaps of ex Royal Navy here who transfer to ours and they absolutely love this weather, walking around with big cheesy grins. It's the whole reason they're here.

Id be happy to swap it for a Faslane winter for a year or 2.

2 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Yep 3 days of 37,36 and 39.

We get heaps of ex Royal Navy here who transfer to ours and they absolutely love this weather, walking around with big cheesy grins. It's the whole reason they're here.

Id be happy to swap it for a Faslane winter for a year or 2.

I posted about this years ago, but I had a colleague from Liverpool who absolutely loved those temps...even 40 degrees!

Not sure if she like the humidity, but she was in Heaven with a blistering day of 40 degrees.  :unknw:

On 08/04/2020 at 8:32 PM, Edinburgh said:

What a bastard of a day today has turned out to be!

My brother is a heart transplant recipient. The cumulative side effects and damage to other body organs have become extreme. He has been on nightly dialysis for the past 2 and a bit years - which in his case is about as long as it is effective.

Today he has decided he can no longer cope with the situation and will stop using the dialysis. So, his body will start to shut down and he will slip into a coma and then ...

*^#%*#^

He's gone.

It's his birthday tomorrow! 

9 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

He's gone.

It's his birthday tomorrow! 

:sorry2:

I don't know what to say. That's terribly sad news. My sincerest and deepest sympathies to you and your family. 

:grouphug: