What Really Grinds My Gears 5

1 hour ago, JackDoff said:

WRGMG

when people waiting to cross at the lights get the little green man, then proceed to walk as slow as possible , making you wait even longer.... can't they push their walkers faster ffs???!!! 

Had this yesterday, waiting to turn left. One of those where there's only one green light (no arrow) and the pedestrian crossing is green at the same time. A simple give-way scenario.

But, this... shall we call her a student from the sub-continent thought it would be best to walk as slow as humanly possible whilst texting, instagramming, facebooking, or whatever. She was perfectly able bodied, but I guarantee I could have crawled with all my limbs tied behind my back quicker than she walked.

Should be a law that you can legally hit a pedestrian that is clearly not paying attention.

Edited by Gazmon

On the other side of it as a pedestrian a while back there is some crossing lights near  us that stay green a good long while. I could see the little man had been green a while and was still green when I got there and started to cross. I was around 3 or 4 pretty big strides (and I have very long legs) in to crossing when it started flashing red and I picked up my pace to match.

Some idiot started ranting in the car about me starting to cross on red, which I clearly didn't, I said a few words back to him that were along the lines of if you don't shut the **** up I will drag you out of the **** car and .....well yeah.....over reacted a little. Anyway he wound his window up pretty bloody quickly and just looked straight ahead.... then I get a telling off from the wife for going off on one and she didn't talk to me for the rest of the day lol which was an added bonus....I am improving and trying to calm down more these days.... a little relapse...

On 30/05/2017 at 10:52 PM, CaptainJess said:

WRGMG: The Government cutting funding to the Healthy Harold program.

Where else will kids learn about drugs and sex in the back of a dark van from a bodiless puppet? :P

But seriously, it's an iconic and important rite of passage for many young school kids and teaches them useful information such as healthy eating, safe sex, the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol etc.

I honestly can't think of a similar initiative that has been as well received or popular as Healthy Harold. That stupid stoned sloth campaign cost $350K and all anybody did was laugh at it. Surely $500K  over 3 years is a much better return on investment? 

Seriously? Healthy Harold is gone? 

Sure there's other ways the kids can learn this stuff, but you're spot on Jess. All of my kids have enjoyed Healthy Harold (the older ones a few times). Its engaged all of them and they have gone on to investigate and learn more themselves. 

Clever country my arse. As long as it doesn't cost $$$

Edited by SomeGuy1977

A FUNDING backflip by the government has saved an Australian icon from certain death.

News that the face of Life Education Australia, the van-dwelling, fluffy puppet giraffe affectionately known by schoolchildren across the nation as Healthy Harold was facing the axe, devastated generations of Australians.

The federal funding agreement for LEA, which runs the travelling health education program that Harold is the face of, is due to end on June 30 and was not renewed in the May budget.

The organisation’s chief executive David Ballhausen yesterday released a statement drawing attention to the quiet funding cut.

“This is quiet ... remarkable given the compelling need that exists across our community for strong, sustained and effective preventive health education,” he said.

Labor accused the government of slashing the program without anyone noticing, but a barrage of online backlash appears to have swayed the government into a rethink.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham last night tweeted his assurance that Healthy Harold would stay on the road, with government funding.

“We support #HealthyHarold & will work with Life Education Australia to ensure the funding & the program continues,” he said.

The form the government’s commitment to the program will take however remains unclear.

Opposition health spokeswoman Cathering King questioned the government’s commitment to resurrecting Healthy Harold on Twitter saying it was unclear what the government commitment would be.

So they said they would help, but have not mentioned how. Considering how little of the budget that programs like this use, you would think that they would stay, with cuts coming from bigger sources.

WRGMG

I think it's better here when we can see who has visited for the day...with a community index. Not just the list of people on line at present, but the list of people who have visited for the past 24 hours.

Somehow, it feels to me like being in a bit of a vacuum without being able to check who has visited, and when they were here last.

A sense of the community is more difficult without it.

In fact, i don't feel it here now. :(

I'll shut up if no-one else feels the same...but I miss it.

PS I'm aware that numbers are down. It's the off season, at the end of a lousy season.

Things will pick up when we're back in the saddle with a new team, I feel confident!

:)  :)

On 2017-6-4 at 10:27 PM, wendybr said:

WRGMG

I think it's better here when we can see who has visited for the day...with a community index. Not just the list of people on line at present, but the list of people who have visited for the past 24 hours.

Somehow, it feels to me like being in a bit of a vacuum without being able to check who has visited, and when they were here last.

A sense of the community is more difficult without it. In fact, i don't feel it here now.

I'll shut up if no-one else feels the same...but I miss it.

PS I'm aware that numbers are down. It's the off season, at the end of a lousy season.

Things will pick up when we're back in the saddle with a new team, I feel confident!

:)  :)

I'm not sure I can exactly replicate a daily (or 24 hours) member list, but I've added a new memberlist to the forum index that should roughly correspond to 24 hours. I'll look into an exact number.

58 minutes ago, mack said:

I'm not sure I can exactly replicate a daily (or 24 hours) member list, but I've added a new memberlist to the forum index that should roughly correspond to 24 hours. I'll look into an exact number.

See my  WFMB response!  :good:

Thanks Mack!

It makes a difference to see who's called in, I think, in terms of having a sense of a community. What you have there now is fine!!.

4 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I actually couldn't care less about today's qualifier 

I'd prefer to take the shift if I were you 

I couldn't give a rats fart about the Socceroos usually but even I am curious to see what happens tonight. On one hand not losing and potentially not qualifying would be a blow overall to football but I also find it hilarious when people lose their **** when the Socceroos perform poorly.

International football it tedious as the best of times, ok major tournaments can be exciting of course.

Mad Jocks v England this weekend I think, not as big a game as it felt back in the 90's. Until Euro 96 England and Scotland rarely met because the home nations tournament was scrapped and they were never in the same qualifying group for yearssssss... so when they met in Euro 96 it was very exciting.

Met loads of times since and some half decent games, but yeah........not what it was....

Edited by WSWBoro
8 hours ago, sonar said:

Just out of curiosity...why ???? You don't want to see the National team try & qualify for a World cup...?

Like I'll watch the game but because it's on, not because I have any real interest in it

7 hours ago, danielcarr said:

He'd rather fap to pics of his hot work colleague 

Colleagues*

there are multiple

5 hours ago, Valter43 said:

I couldn't give a rats fart about the Socceroos usually but even I am curious to see what happens tonight. On one hand not losing and potentially not qualifying would be a blow overall to football but I also find it hilarious when people lose their **** when the Socceroos perform poorly.

I guess there's that 

I don't feel any super affinity to the national team - would rather see our local A-League team do well

13 hours ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

football has enough issues in this country, we dont qualify and we got more problems, plus my love of football started because of the socceroos

I see what you mean

i first found out about professional football in 2005 when I heard we qualified for this "World Cup" thing 

I woke up in the early morning to watch the games and the like

Nowadays, it's more... yeah. Happiest moment for me last night was watching Juric score a double - two good goals

oh, and Rogic's bullet which is just a shot you cannot not appreciate