What Really Grinds My Gears 5

I'm sure a lot of it is down to just not knowing any more. But..   I just remember when there was something for everyone in the city. Dirty pubs, high end bars.  Grimy snooker halls, ritzy clubs. Foreign food mixed business grocery type places. Independent book shops and record exchanges. Rag trade outlets. Disposal stores. And all the designer joints as well, sure. And interesting people. It's probably my cynicism and age but ****, theres not many of those about. 

1 hour ago, marron said:

I'm sure a lot of it is down to just not knowing any more. But..   I just remember when there was something for everyone in the city. Dirty pubs, high end bars.  Grimy snooker halls, ritzy clubs. Foreign food mixed business grocery type places. Independent book shops and record exchanges. Rag trade outlets. Disposal stores. And all the designer joints as well, sure. And interesting people. It's probably my cynicism and age but ****, theres not many of those about. 

There was a really interesting junk shop near where i live. It was full to the rafters of things he picked up from house clearences, chairs hung from the roof and every place full of something, like Steptoe and Son. He had some old quality stuff as well. My old man when he came over 5 years ago found an old ship makers plate in there from the 1920's from a ship builder in South Shields on the Tyne back home, solid brass and used to be on a boat on the harbour. My old man took it home and now sits on his garage wall. The place was a haven for treasure like that, it had plenty of shite as well of course, but it was always interesting and he was there for years.

3 years ago he moved on, the row of shops was knocked down and bland units raised in its place. Where his shop once stood is now a gym with the lycra leggings cult marching in and out. The shops either side are still empty after nearly 2 years.

Edited by Smoggy

Some TV ads.

The bank ads with the airhead redhead do my head in. Why would they think they would encourage anyone to bank with them?!?!

The fast food chain ads with two senior citizens, a married couple, they must be in their 80s. The wife produces a handwritten iou for $6 she wrote when she was 16. Which based on her being say 85 would be circa 1950. I call bullshit. Decimal currency didn't start in Australia until 1966!  I know it's only an ad, but a little accuracy would be nice.

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

The fast food chain ads with two senior citizens, a married couple, they must be in their 80s. The wife produces a handwritten iou for $6 she wrote when she was 16. Which based on her being say 85 would be circa 1950. I call bullshit. Decimal currency didn't start in Australia until 1966!  I know it's only an ad, but a little accuracy would be nice.

That IOU would also be worth about $155 now based on inflation.

11 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Some TV ads.

The bank ads with the airhead redhead do my head in. Why would they think they would encourage anyone to bank with them?!?!

Yes!!

I'm only ever  exposed to ads while watching the football...because I watch no commercial tv....and THAT ad comes on and is so irritating!

PS Lol...in proofreading this post, I accidentally created a new word!

Vommmercial!! :lol:

I like it!

PPS Edited properly...see below!

9 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Yes!!

I'm only ever  explosed to ads while watching the football...because I watch no commercial tv....and THAT ad comes on and is so irritating!

PS Lol...in proofreading this post, I accidentally created a new word!

Vommmercial!! :lol:

I like it!

And explosed!?

I like that one - you see an ad and feel like blowing up?

PS maybee yoo knead a knew ploof leader?

Ahhhhahaha!

OK...........so...... I didn't proofread. "vommercial" just jumped out at me after I posted and so I changed it, and thought I'd been saved from the embarrassment you have now explosed :P me to !

:lol: :lol:

I'm using a relatively new phone...and haven't  turned off the auto correct.......... yet! :xmad:

I keep foolishly trusting it, and forgetting why I turned it off on the last phone.

Lol.

It's  come up with some clangers! Just tried to give me "changers" for clangers.....twice.  :unknw:

9 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

10 minutes into a becker episode i like a lot on 10 peach or whatever the **** its stupid name is it goes to an ad break, that is fine, this ad break goes on for 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, ******* long ad break

no its not an ad break they have randomly switched to some ******* cooking show..............yippie

apparently its foxtel who buggered this up, when my brother is watching it on digital tv its ******* becker

On 16/04/2019 at 9:07 AM, wendybr said:

Ahhhhahaha!

OK...........so...... I didn't proofread. "vommercial" just jumped out at me after I posted and so I changed it, and thought I'd been saved from the embarrassment you have now explosed :P me to !

:lol: :lol:

I'm using a relatively new phone...and haven't  turned off the auto correct.......... yet! :xmad:

I keep foolishly trusting it, and forgetting why I turned it off on the last phone.

Lol.

It's  come up with some clangers! Just tried to give me "changers" for clangers.....twice.  :unknw:

:xmad::xmad: Just checked a text message I sent to an ex-student, who had sent me a message about her first Uni essay result.

I hadn't seen the message for some hours after she sent it...so I wrote "Oooops sorry I didn't  see this...." in my reply.

Well...that's what I thought I'd  written.

When I checked a minute ago, I found it had autocorrected to...,"oops", but with a p in front of the "oops".

She hasn't  replied yet. :cheeky:

6 minutes ago, wendybr said:

:xmad::xmad: Just checked a text message I sent to an ex-student, who had sent me a message about her first Uni essay result.

I hadn't seen the message for some hours after she sent it...so I wrote "Oooops sorry I didn't  see this...." in my reply.

Well...that's what I thought I'd  written.

When I checked a minute ago, I found it had autocorrected to...,"oops", but with a p in front of the "oops".

She hasn't  replied yet. :cheeky:

The switch to turn off the auto correct is on the concrete floor, you just need to throw the phone at it.

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

The switch to turn off the auto correct is on the concrete floor, you just need to throw the phone at it.

Orrrrr..........you google a search on how to turn it off and save the expense of a new phone/tablet/smart device.....lol :P

https://www.google.com/search?client=aff-maxthon-maxthon4&hs=nVS&affdom=maxthon.com&channel=t26&q=how+to+turn+off+autocorrect&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHk6G1ltfhAhXBR30KHZuyCzoQBQgrKAA&biw=1366&bih=607

11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Since when are fireworks an Easter Sunday thing...

Well except for maybe at the RE Show?

Castle Hill Showground. Why??

ha....that's nothing.....lol ....it's over and done in 10 mins........try having to listen to an islander,three houses away, learning the bass and playing the same song very loud over and over and over every night for the past week for hours on end.......:nono:....I did hear a random voice say wtte..." if ya' don't give it rest so I can go to sleep I will shove that bass up your backside then shove my hands down ya throat to pull it back out".......it's been quiet the past two nights.....lol

(PS....I give them 10 for effort but FMD you can use use headphones for that FFS.)

48 minutes ago, mack said:

Thought I was buying some Chorizo for dinner, got home and they were clearly mis-marked English Cumberland pork sausage. Almost zero flavour. They weren't bad but I wanted that strong paprika flavour ffs.

No sausage from a supermarket here tastes of anything, which is why I am thankful to find a decent butchers with a bloke from NE England behind the counter, we understand each other :D

52 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

No sausage from a supermarket here tastes of anything, which is why I am thankful to find a decent butchers with a bloke from NE England behind the counter, we understand each other :D

Coles have this beef+pork combo I tried over the Easter weekend which was surprisingly good

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What is it with young women and this massive eye brow thing, I think it looks horrendous.

When I went back to the Boro a year or two back i looked like half the women had tarmac laid across their foreheads.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Best laugh I've had in WEEKS with that comment, Smoggy!

I'm glad it isn't just me!

42 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What is it with young women and this massive eye brow thing, I think it looks horrendous.

When I went back to the Boro a year or two back i looked like half the women had tarmac laid across their foreheads.

Try having a son who wants a haircut that only him and his mates think is cool. (Well, maybe some girls as well.)

I'm trying to stay positive and encouraging, but geez, he'll look back in a dozen years and say - what the **** was I thinking?

I try and explain this, but to no avail. 

Long on top that he has to keep pulling over his eyes. Number one on the sides. Stripes under the hangover. FFS, just get a normal cut that you don't have to update every two weeks.

Clearly I'm getting old and don't understand.

14 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Try having a son who wants a haircut that only him and his mates think is cool. (Well, maybe some girls as well.)

I'm trying to stay positive and encouraging, but geez, he'll look back in a dozen years and say - what the **** was I thinking?

I try and explain this, but to no avail. 

Long on top that he has to keep pulling over his eyes. Number one on the sides. Stripes under the hangover. FFS, just get a normal cut that you don't have to update every two weeks.

Clearly I'm getting old and don't understand.

I have had my fair share of shyte haircuts, especially when younger :D