What Really Grinds My Gears 5

Just now, mack said:

Okay, it looks like we have 1300 guests visiting the site.

I have no idea why.

That is probably causing the slowdown as the server load is giving me warnings.

Yeah..I just noticed the guest spamming thing in the list.....

47 minutes ago, mack said:

I have no idea why.

That is probably causing the slowdown as the server load is giving me warnings.

Edit - They are all coming from China I think.

A cyber attack courtesy of Evergrande or their fans in cahoots with Al Hilal..?.......:ninja:

Edited by sonar

Okay, which one of you were discussing the Hong Kong situation in the politics threads? Or who was the one that was dissing China? You’re to blame :lol: 

12 hours ago, mack said:

What purpose do you think that tasking 1300 bots to the site would have achieved? Or legitimately do you think they were visiting? Can you tell what they were doing?

Just now, Prydzopolis said:

Okay, which one of you were discussing the Hong Kong situation in the politics threads? Or who was the one that was dissing China? You’re to blame :lol: 

What purpose do you think that tasking 1300 bots to the site would have achieved? Or legitimately do you think they were visiting? Can you tell what they were doing?

I think they read my post about selling the house....

37 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The online user section will show what guests are doing if they are in the forum section or on certain other pages, but last night basically none of them were doing that, which makes me think they were simply loading the site and staying on the frontpage, or were loading it in a manner which wasn't browsing, just hitting the site. Might have been an attempted DDOS attack, might have been a misaimed botnet, or someone scanning the site using some other method.

27 minutes ago, mack said:

The online user section will show what guests are doing if they are in the forum section or on certain other pages, but last night basically none of them were doing that, which makes me think they were simply loading the site and staying on the frontpage, or were loading it in a manner which wasn't browsing, just hitting the site. Might have been an attempted DDOS attack, might have been a misaimed botnet, or someone scanning the site using some other method.

The notoriously bias football media in Sydney, have attempted to hack the site from various points in China. You know it

46 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

i want to throw my phone at a wall(home phone) :P just endless calls and all of them telemarketers, i have anxiety leave me alone :P

It's getting really bad actually. My dad was telling me he is getting 8 or 9 a day. It's got to the stage where he won't answer the phone.....he lets it go to voicemail. So much for the no junk call register.

Edited by sonar
40 minutes ago, sonar said:

It's getting really bad actually. My dad was telling me he is getting 8 or 9 a day. It's got to the stage where he won't answer the phone.....he lets it go to voicemail. So much for the no junk call register.

i know what you mean at the end of the day its the scams i hate the most not because i am getting caught out but because i know others are getting caught out, i have counted at least 10 calls from telemarketers today even if the conversation is only for 10 seconds its exhausting with so many

Actually - I hope I don't invite more trouble by posting that I've made my kids watch "Waltzing the Dragon" on iview  for homework, and I'm currently devising a set of questions they will have to answer tomorrow.

PS If you didn't catch it,  "Waltzing the Dragon" was a great 2 part doco, which, in part, traced our very extensive history with Chinese immigrants. It contained some criticisms of modern China - but not of the people.

2 hours ago, sonar said:

It's getting really bad actually. My dad was telling me he is getting 8 or 9 a day.

2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i have counted at least 10 calls from telemarketers today even if the conversation is only for 10 seconds

Need to invest in a phone with answering machine in-built, you can screen the calls as they come in. 9.99/10 they never leave a message & can always pick up if you hear the voice of an actual caller at the other end. Do it, works well :) 

Hi WSF family, need some advice:

So as you may know from the refereeing thread, I help officiate some games during weekends. I enjoy it and have been doing it for I think five years now.

The last time I was involved in the grand finals was a few years ago and I remember refereeing an over 35s final and an All Age Ladies. That AAL game had one of the best goals I’d ever seen, so I have fond memories of that.

I’ve just had a look at the appointments for the grand finals coming up and I’ve been assigned a low division kids final - still full field, but definitely not a 90 minute game. 

On the one hand, I’m happy to once again be involved in grand final day because it is a lot of fun and I have good memories of it. On the other hand, as someone who’s been doing this for like five years, I was hoping for... more, I suppose.

For semis, I did referee some all age men’s matches. Like I didn’t have the best performance that weekend but I had the sniffles and I’ve done adult games all season.

I dunno. Just feel a bit disappointed. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

So as you may know from the refereeing thread, I help officiate some games during weekends. I enjoy it and have been doing it for I think five years now.

The last time I was involved in the grand finals was a few years ago and I remember refereeing an over 35s final and an All Age Ladies. That AAL game had one of the best goals I’d ever seen, so I have fond memories of that.

I’ve just had a look at the appointments for the grand finals coming up and I’ve been assigned a low division kids final - still full field, but definitely not a 90 minute game. 

On the one hand, I’m happy to once again be involved in grand final day because it is a lot of fun and I have good memories of it. On the other hand, as someone who’s been doing this for like five years, I was hoping for... more, I suppose.

For semis, I did referee some all age men’s matches. Like I didn’t have the best performance that weekend but I had the sniffles and I’ve done adult games all season.

I don't know how things work in the referee world - but that aside, my first thought is, rather than worry/wonder why you didn't get what you expected/hoped for, you should just ask why you missed out and develop your view from there.

9 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I don't know how things work in the referee world - but that aside, my first thought is, rather than worry/wonder why you didn't get what you expected/hoped for, you should just ask why you missed out and develop your view from there.

That’s good advice, thanks

What I’ll do is wait to see who my fellow referees are. How it basically works is we are assigned a set of three games, from lowest age group to highest. The referees basically cycle through: one referee does the first centre and then does two lines, etc. so everyone gets a turn doing the centre. Problem is I got the first and most junior game.

If I get there and the two others I’m assigned with are experienced and older referees then so be it. I have a feeling they are random first years and teenagers.

13 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I think it’s natural to feel disappointed, finals & especially grand final allocations are a reflection of your year.

Were you being watched or assessed last weekend?  Unless you were then I doubt that performance would have made a significant impact. I’d like to think that your availability/games allocated & assessments would determine your allocations.

On the central coast, they are taking into account the games you’ve been allocated during the year, your reliability (not showing up or cancelling last minute), assessments & attendance at monthly referee meetings. We were also told that you may not referee every week of the finals or get a grand final. Wasn’t a reflection on us but wasn’t your year & you're unlucky not to be chosen.

It’s hard not to take it personally but sometimes have to look at the bigger picture.

On my allocations, I did my ankle a few weeks ago. As I’m unable to move side to side, being A/R is out of the question so been told to take 2 weeks off. Told I’ll get a final in Sydney & on the coast I’ve had a pretty ordinary season so doubt I’ll get anything (lucky to get an elimination semi final but no chance for a grand final).