AFL Thread 2

• mack pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

R2 I predicted a Tigers v Crows GF and the many AFL experts at work laughed. After Dustin re-signed I knew The Cats were ours. South Melbourne were the only club that could stop us taking the flag and they're out. Sure I could be wrong but after months o/s I'm gunner catch us v GWS within hours of landing. This dream ain't unraveling. 

• 2 weeks later...

To christen this as the new AFL bashing thread as well as any general AFL content (if anyone actually likes AFL)... the new AFLWomen's season kicked off with free tickets attracting a crowd of 19k (6k less than last year) with the glorious scoreline of 22 to 14. In football terms it was 3-2.  There was another game that finished the equivalent of 3-4. Hour long games I believe.

Maybe they need to widen the goals to make it even easier to score?

Or make the grounds shorter like BBL.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing free entry to the AFLW - that's costing them money and they're getting nothing in return.

Sam Kerr - now there's a story worth getting behind, if only the imbeciles at the FFA had her poster all over bus stops like I see AFLW and special K promotions around Blacktown.

FFS no one in Blacktown knows the teams let alone the AFLW player on the poster.

Edited by hawks2767
8 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Or make the grounds shorter like BBL.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing free entry to the AFLW - that's costing them money and they're getting nothing in return.

Sam Kerr - now there's a story worth getting behind, if only the imbeciles at the FFA had her poster all over bus stops like I see AFLW and special K promotions around Blacktown.

FFS no one in Blacktown knows the teams let alone the AFLW player on the poster.

They get plenty in return, gets AFL in papers, in tv and radio building up to the start of men’s season.

It’s great publicity for them and it gets them in to them a whole new lot of followers.. It’s very smart. I doubt they give a stuff that they giving away tickets 

You wouldn’t even know an a League game is on let alone the w league.

8 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

I agree with you on the ineptitude of the FFA when it comes to advertising but in regards to the AFLW - there's going to be tipping point where they get sick of completely funding something that may never be able to stand on it's own.

I have no idea but my guess is that it isn’t there to stand on its own, anytime soon,it is basically there to feed more people into the AFL.

- more free advertising, it has AFL on Tv and in papers way before their season starts 

- woman and girls are the big untapped market this gives them a way of attracting a whole new segment of supporter (who isn’t rusted on to League or Football) 

- they are scared of football and so happy to throw money to disrupt us 

besides its 6 games at a suburban ground and they pay players next to nothing compared to men’s league for the AFL it probably barely registers on their budget

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Offsiders and the AFL commentators put a lot of crap on AFLX.

They also said that AFLX was plain and simple a grab for sports grounds and juniors since they don't need 18 players on a team for this version which is apparently getting difficult. One of the commenators they should just play Gaelic Football.

16 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I watched Offsiders and the AFL commentators put a lot of crap on AFLX.

They also said that AFLX was plain and simple a grab for sports grounds and juniors since they don't need 18 players on a team for this version which is apparently getting difficult. One of the commenators they should just play Gaelic Football.

I can’t watch that show without being overcome by an urge to put my foot thru the television. 

46 minutes ago, Davo said:

She plays in World Cups and is currently one of the faces of a Nike campaign alongside Ronaldo and Neymar but yeah, AFLW...

daniel's joke was a complete pisser :P she is doing things no afl player could ever even imagine doing, well maybe apart from ben cousins he is always on drugs and can imagine anything

• 2 weeks later...

That didn't take long:

AFLW player reportedly makes sexual harassment claim against opponent

The West Australian

Thursday, 8 March 2018 8:32PM

An Adelaide Crows women’s footballer reportedly claimed she was the victim of sexual harassment by an opponent from Greater Western Sydney during a recent AFLW match between the clubs.

According to a Newscorp report, a GWS player allegedly touched the bottom of a Crows footballer and made lewd comments to her.

The report says the Crows player had made a complaint to the AFL, which triggered an investigation by the league’s integrity unit into the incident in the round four clash on February 25, which ended in a dramatic draw.

The GWS player is understood to have strongly denied the allegation when questioned by officials.

And, the Crows player decided not to pursue the matter further.

A spokesman for the Adelaide Crows declined to comment on the alleged incident, believed to be the first of its kind during an official AFL game.

The AFL reportedly dealt with the matter last week, in the days following the GWS versus Adelaide game at Blacktown in Sydney on February 25.

According to the report, the Adelaide player believed her GWS opponent had “crossed the line” with a combination of lewd words and touching on the backside.

The AFL has also refused to comment.

A spokesman for the Adelaide Crows declined to comment on the alleged incident, believed to be the first of its kind during an official AFL game.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the first time a player has ever grabbed another players arse or made a lewd comment in the history of the AFL...