AFL Thread 2

9 hours ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

something i hate about the afl is how whenever it gets someone in the comp who isnt completely Caucasian it parades them around like some kind of freak show

Show some respect. They've invented women's sport, are the leaders multiculturalism, and opened China to sport. they set the standard that we should all (not) follow. 

6 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Show some respect. They've invented women's sport, are the leaders multiculturalism, and opened China to sport. they set the standard that we should all (not) follow. 

lol i forgot they have done all those amazing things :P they also gave women the right to vote i remember they were heavily involved with that

my favourite story from world war 1 was during christmas when all sides had a cease fire so they could play a game of afl together, that was special

42 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

Midgets on Facebook 'we are proud to represent the most culturally diverse region in the country'....

with the least culturally diverse team you've ever seen.

Unless they were talking about their home Canberra :rofl:

The propaganda machine is working overtime.

Geez I hate that sport.

Edited by Wanderboy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped my daughter from signing up to Auskick today after she messaged me with a flyer.

For $46 you get a 4 week program with free...

Headphones

Footy Cards

Giants Hat

Ball pump

AFL Ball

Free ticket to a Midgets home match.

They must be taking a hit for that, $46 wont cover it.

Anyway **** AFL my little girl plays football and one day she will be banging goals in for the Wanderers - the team that represents where she is from, she will thank me one day for resisting that parasite ******* virus of a sport.

Now I'm going to have a word to her school tomorrow and try arrange a WSW visit.

• 2 weeks later...

'Situation of gross racism': Wilkinson insulted by AFL's response

Joel Wilkinson says he was insulted by a supposed AFL claim that a three-minute video was sufficient to address the “gross racism” he experienced.

The former Gold Coast defender’s lawyer meanwhile says two former AFL players have come forward with similar allegations of racism following the announcement this week that Wilkinson will take legal action.

Of Nigerian descent, Wilkinson, who played 26 games for the Suns between 2011 and 2013, is heading to the Australian Human Rights Commission in the next few days, alleging that he was a victim of racism and racially-motivated sexual harassment during his time in the AFL. Federal Court action could follow.

His lawyer Will Barsby of Shine lawyers said on Thursday that Wilkinson was delisted at the end of 2013 after being labelled a “grandstander” by Gold Coast officials.

“Like any workplace, sometimes that employer doesn’t want to keep that perceived ‘problem child’ around,” Barsby said, arguing that Wilkinson’s employment had been prematurely terminated because he spoke up.

Barsby said that Wilkinson was seeking compensation for loss of income but that the case was “bigger than that” and about a "broader issue".

Wilkinson’s experience with racism during his career was no secret. In 2011 Western Bulldogs player Justin Sherman was suspended after racially vilifying Wilkinson during a match between the clubs, while the following season Collingwood took action against one of its supporters who shouted racial abuse over the fence towards the backman during a game between the Magpies and Suns.

The AFL issued a statement on Wednesday after Wilkinson’s claims became public, referencing a 2014 AFL-produced video campaign titled Making a Stand in which Wilkinson participated.

“We are sorry that Mr Wilkinson suffered experiences of racial abuse during his time as an AFL footballer,” the league said.

“He has previously shared his experience of racial abuse, helping educate the community via a series of social awareness videos produced with the AFL.

“We respect a person’s right to pursue claims through the legal system. We will continue to work with Joel to seek to resolve this matter.”

But Wilkinson hit back on Thursday, saying he’d been insulted by the league’s statement.

“In reference to the AFL’s position for many years and their recent statement it is disrespectful to the gravity of the situation to continually deny my experiences and claim one three-minute video was sufficient to address the situation of gross racism,” Wilkinson said.

“It is an insult that is so out of place in the global climate of racism and in the modern workplace.

“For many years I continually approached the AFL. I’ve had to keep pushing the issue, it has now led me here, having to pursue legal action.”

For legal reasons Wilkinson did not field questions on Thursday, but issued a lengthy statement, noting that he “won’t be silenced anymore”.

“It seems in recent times the dark works on the inside of the AFL are being revealed, and I hope this gives others the courage to come forward,” he said.

“Let me make it clear, this isn’t a past issue, this is very present, happening now and many other players in the system have experiences of racism similar to mine.

“From this loss of career, and suffering, I seek justice. The world is watching.”

Barsby would not go into details of the sexual harassment claim, other than to say it was racially motivated. However he confirmed several other players had made approaches since Wilkinson came forward.

“We’ve already received a number of calls from other players who’ve had similar experiences. For legal reasons as you can appreciate I’m limited in what I can divulge, but what it does show is the power of one coming forward. It shows a deeper issue within Australian workplaces,” Barsby said.

“It’s the ongoing racial discrimination that he sees and witnesses, and that he hears from colleagues and friends, and the ongoing effect that has on him as well.”

Barsby would not outline how long his client had been in discussions in the AFL, nor would he confirm whether the league had offered Wilkinson “hush money”, but he said talks between the parties had ended.

Honestly with the amount of **** going on with AFL this year I don't see how this will be the one that stands out from the crowd.

A club paying someone hush money because the coach sexually harassed her at a work party

Another former coach being caught in the ice trade both as a seller and user

Fights between fans on ANZAC day of all days - the ******* sport is a mess but they'll come through all this without any of the mud sticking to them.

Teflon bogan sport, it needs to die so we can become a football nation.

39 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

Honestly with the amount of **** going on with AFL this year I don't see how this will be the one that stands out from the crowd.

A club paying someone hush money because the coach sexually harassed her at a work party

Another former coach being caught in the ice trade both as a seller and user

Fights between fans on ANZAC day of all days - the ******* sport is a mess but they'll come through all this without any of the mud sticking to them.

Teflon bogan sport, it needs to die so we can become a football nation.

So much going on but hardly anything in the media. This issue with Joel Wilkinson is the only issue that has gained traction. The AFL know how to bury a story

In Sydney it's like that luckily.

In other states it's big news, in WA the media is dominated by AFL.

Thursday night footy show, Sunday footy show, footy classified Monday night, Eagle Vision 30 min show on saturday before the team plays, the lead sports story is always AFL (hell even most of the sports reporters are ex AFL players)  - they absolutely dominate coverage.

I really don't understand the hostility we all show to the Manuka Midgets. After all, they really do represent western Sydney so well thanks to their locally sourced players:

Senior_GWSGIANTS_com_au.png

Senior_GWSGIANTS_com_au_1.png

After all, if we can't support Westies who come from suburbs like Culcairn, Melton, Frankston, North Broken Hill and Kyabram when will we?

Just further to this......

I was out at Kellyville this morning. For those that don't live in the area, there is a major AFL facility there, not far from the Baulkham Hills Netball Association Netball  courts. I thinks it's on Wrights Rd. Not sure.

Anyway, as I approaching it, I thought I'd have a look to see how many people were there. Being a Saturday morning and all (around 10 am), I thought it would be chockas. However, it was completely empty. Not a soul in sight. Not one person at the ground. No games being played.

AFL taking over? Lol. Maybe everyone was getting ready to attend the Knats game. Then again, maybe not.

7 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Just further to this......

I was out at Kellyville this morning. For those that don't live in the area, there is a major AFL facility there, not far from the Baulkham Hills Netball Association Netball  courts. I thinks it's on Wrights Rd. Not sure.

Anyway, as I approaching it, I thought I'd have a look to see how many people were there. Being a Saturday morning and all (around 10 am), I thought it would be chockas. However, it was completely empty. Not a soul in sight. Not one person at the ground. No games being played.

AFL taking over? Lol. Maybe everyone was getting ready to attend the Knats game. Then again, maybe not.

thank you for telling me where it is, now all i need is my flamethrower and i am going for a roadtrip