AFL Thread 2

Thought I'd follow up on how we here in Western Sydney have all been changed by the so-called 'big big sound' of the Manuka Midgets, and following Hawk's lead took a look at their online forum.

Loved the 2 hectic pages on how much buzz there was in Sydney for them in their GF week. A few pics of those iconic western Sydney facilities Mascot Airport with some orange & black balloons and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, their fans on the steps of Melbourne town hall, & the rent-a-crowd of kids trucked into their final training session so that they didn't have to go to school.

I've seen more buzz in a hive flooded with DDT.

My view of GWS is that the people who follow them are a bunch of Karens. You know that suburban witch hunter mum that wants to talk to the manager at every retail and fast food store to feel superior. Based on their forum and their view of us and Football in general  it really disappointing the lack of knowledge and respect they have outside their own bubble sport.

The reality is despite all the media buzz and everything there was zero hype from your average Sydney sider about GWS despite Gladys urging Sydney to get behind the team. There was more interest in NRL prelim finals you can see the bunny or rooster flags flying around. I did not see one person from GWS in the Liverpool-Campbeltown area, actually saw more Rabbitoh supporters going around (unlucky on the result for you bunny fans).

I don't know how they come up with these numbers for AFL but I do believe at least in Western Sydney NRL is still the bigger sport people followed locally. AFL just doesn't connect with the many cultures running around Western Sydney and the stats of their membership back that up.

30 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

My view of GWS is that the people who follow them are a bunch of Karens. You know that suburban witch hunter mum that wants to talk to the manager at every retail and fast food store to feel superior. Based on their forum and their view of us and Football in general  it really disappointing the lack of knowledge and respect they have outside their own bubble sport.

The reality is despite all the media buzz and everything there was zero hype from your average Sydney sider about GWS despite Gladys urging Sydney to get behind the team. There was more interest in NRL prelim finals you can see the bunny or rooster flags flying around. I did not see one person from GWS in the Liverpool-Campbeltown area, actually saw more Rabbitoh supporters going around (unlucky on the result for you bunny fans).

I don't know how they come up with these numbers for AFL but I do believe at least in Western Sydney NRL is still the bigger sport people followed locally. AFL just doesn't connect with the many cultures running around Western Sydney and the stats of their membership back that up.

Correct.

Interest in GWS in western Sydney is virtually non-existent. There'd be lucky to be 10-15000 people in an area of over 2 million+ who actually give a **** about them, or even know or care who they are.

And, as we all know, the AFL have been fudging crowd and membership numbers for years.

6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

This is interesting 

AFLW season in limbo for 2020 as players vote against agreement http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-07/aflw-dispute-continues-as-players-reject-deal/11578424

This will definitely be interesting. Hat's off to the AFL marketing division a few years back when they shoehorned the modified AFLW competition into a nice little gap between the end of the 'hit and giggle' cricket season and the start of the AFL season. OTT media coverage and decent crowds (albeit mainly free tickets) in the first year would have it marked as a success. However, despite a large crowd at the Grand Final this year crowds have generally been down as the novelty wears off. Certain parties are now clamouring for more teams and a longer season with the threat of strikes etc. Rest assured that the AFL would not be keen for the seasons to overlap and the AFLW would get far less publicity should the season stretch to overlap AFL. This could definitely lead to reduced crowds, sponsorship etc and the AFL would have to reach further into their pockets to pay wages. This could all go 'tits up' if you excuse the pun !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlKkhgktOLJXqTS-qo-pq

Is this the new WSW logo? Ah no, it's WAFLs new logo. What are these d1ckheads trying to prove? Similar colour, similar design (though really poorly executed. What's with the lines?). Is it AFLs attempt at saturating the market with a similar design thus attempting to force our logo into obscurity?

• 5 weeks later...

watching the highlights of the latest battle of the bridge, i know its only pre season but its a derby.........those crowd numbers aint good, which is not surprising since it was played at blacktown and no one in western sydney gives a **** about them

On 04/03/2020 at 4:16 PM, alexd said:

Oh no - what will the Chinese people do in its absence?   :rofl:

the Chinese people have not taken this lightly, actual footage of when the news the match was cancelled

............just ignore the text :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Davo said:

I don't know what was worse. The ceremony or the AFL friendly media gushing over how "powerful" the image was.

Yeah I had a 'WTF' moment when I saw it described as "powerful" !!

Edited by MartinTyler
spelling
41 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Yeah I had a 'WTF' moment when I saw it described as "powerful" !!

I havent seen it myself. Me, I did the 'driveway' service with the family. Looked up and down the street and saw plenty of others doing the same. No media circus, no 'look how awesome we are'. Just ordinary people paying their respects as best they could in these unprecedented times. 

Good on them for doing the same, but they need to seriously need to get over themselves. It might be a bit hard for them to grasp, but not everything is about them.