Sign in to follow this  
mack

AFL Thread 2

1 hour ago, hawks2767 said:

The AFL have tried to make their game intertwined with ANZAC day since the mid 90's.

The FFA should line up a match against NZ same day

I can't remember if this is true but I vaguely remember that there was a game of football (not the AFL kind) played at Gallipoli between Australian and English troops during a ceasefire. But it could have been somewhere else and at another time. 

12 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I can't remember if this is true but I vaguely remember that there was a game of football (not the AFL kind) played at Gallipoli between Australian and English troops during a ceasefire. But it could have been somewhere else and at another time. 

Reportedly Allied troops played football against the Germans on the front line when hostilities took a break at Christmas.

4 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Reportedly Allied troops played football against the Germans on the front line when hostilities took a break at Christmas.

Yes and England lost on penalties

20 hours ago, Paul01 said:

8 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

2 hours ago, marron said:

lemnos.jpg

Australian troops playing football at Lemnos, en route from Gallipoli, 1915.

http://neososmos.blogspot.com/2012/04/soccer-and-anzac.html

Memo FFA:

Schedule The Lemnos Cup each Anzac Day. Played between the previous season's league and cup winners (or a runner up if necessary). It would otherwise be a normal A League round match.

I'm going to barrage the FFA with passive aggressive emails until they give me one good reason why this can't happen.

The fact it'd be on during the A League season and the European seasons is acceptable..........

13 minutes ago, Carns said:

:rolleyes:

A more severe punishment would be for them to play a double header...:rofl:

Can anyone fill me in on why the AFL are playing shortened quarters now? Bloody wusses if you ask me !!

8 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Can anyone fill me in on why the AFL are playing shortened quarters now? Bloody wusses if you ask me !!

Because their preparation for the season was interrupted 

Didn't know this happened. James Brown was a very flawed man, but a lot of respect for this gesture.

This was the pic that lead to this meeting for those who don't know.

winmar.jpg?itok=vDeB-4Ip&mtime=159314710

19 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

AFL relocates 10 teams outside Victoria due to Covid-19.

the only good thing about Covid(originally said Covic.....he didnt **** up their season :P ) is how much its ******* up their season :P