AFL Thread 2

4 minutes ago, sonar said:

It's funny ( not ha ha funny ) that the AFL who prides itself on being at the forefront of celebrating Indigenous culture in the AFL is being called out for vilifying those very people. They will do nothing and just hope it goes away.

dude dude dude.

It's not the AFL. It's Eddie Maguire.

I 've mentioned this before but on two of the many Wanderers away trips I have been on - one in Melbourne and the GF in Adelaide, there just happened to be AFL games on that weekend. 

I was shocked at the demographic of the AFL fans attending the matches that I came across. Think Sutherland Shire (well dressed 20-ish and pensioners -  all whiteys, in Melbourne) and really bogan toothless Westies in Adelaide. Hardly a multi cultural fan to be seen. Both demographics were seriously Cronulla riots types. 

I haven't even mentioned the dozens of violent incidents at games which hardly raise an eyebrow, bananas being thrown at African players, racist placards being raised at games etc...

Add then the embarrassing leadership from the types like Eddie, comparing players to apes and suffering no consequences from the up top AFL leadership, and it is no wonder there is an endemic racial issue in this sport.  The fact that Adam Goodes was seriously vilified for calling out a teenager for her vile comments, which led to continual booing of him every time he touched the ball and eventually led to his early retirement, says it all.

Disgusting sport and the culture that follows it is even worse. A shame on this country.

As I have said before, the game itself is not bad. Not so far removed from football as people like to think. You don't need the same skill level as you do football but you still need a football brain. I enjoyed playing it as a teen and I didn't used to mind to watch it either. I have a sister-in-law in melbourne and when we visit I actually like to get along to a VFL match if I can because it has an non-modern vibe - old stadia, a hill to sit on, you can walk on to the ground at the breaks and have a kick or go listen to the coaches giving their instructions. Actually last time, a couple of years ago now, I got chatting to a bloke on the field kicking a ball around with his kid who was shocked to learn I was a dreaded wanderers supporter, and I filled him on that joke of an organisation the giants as well :lol: Anyway, based on my observations down there, I think it's a bit of a mischaracterisation down there to say it's alll like cronulla. Hey, it's not WS, but what is. Up here of course it's a bit of a different story, the AFL crowd, the swans especially. That's not to say that the ugly stuff is isolated. It's not. There's a fair whack of the fanbase that are rabid for sure.

BUT

The AFL itself, and the absolute bubble that it creates in its strongholds, is a behemoth of the worst sort. They effectively sanctioned Goodes treatment back then, and have been exactly like Maguire in the way they have treated him since, doing it for the PR basically. THey like this progressive kind of projection but the reality is far different, and they have such a stranglehold over the media down there that people just lap it up and can't understand what it's like elsewhere or whatever. And of course they bury all the unsavory stuff as much as they can - violence is underrported, racism not dealt with, the cosy relationship with Vicpol means it's all good. Many of their journos are pathetic mouthbreathers. And i've been turned off watching the AFL for many years now as a result of it all.

1 hour ago, marron said:

As I have said before, the game itself is not bad. Not so far removed from football as people like to think. You don't need the same skill level as you do football but you still need a football brain. I enjoyed playing it as a teen and I didn't used to mind to watch it either. I have a sister-in-law in melbourne and when we visit I actually like to get along to a VFL match if I can because it has an non-modern vibe - old stadia, a hill to sit on, you can walk on to the ground at the breaks and have a kick or go listen to the coaches giving their instructions. Actually last time, a couple of years ago now, I got chatting to a bloke on the field kicking a ball around with his kid who was shocked to learn I was a dreaded wanderers supporter, and I filled him on that joke of an organisation the giants as well :lol: Anyway, based on my observations down there, I think it's a bit of a mischaracterisation down there to say it's alll like cronulla. Hey, it's not WS, but what is. Up here of course it's a bit of a different story, the AFL crowd, the swans especially. That's not to say that the ugly stuff is isolated. It's not. There's a fair whack of the fanbase that are rabid for sure.

BUT

The AFL itself, and the absolute bubble that it creates in its strongholds, is a behemoth of the worst sort. They effectively sanctioned Goodes treatment back then, and have been exactly like Maguire in the way they have treated him since, doing it for the PR basically. THey like this progressive kind of projection but the reality is far different, and they have such a stranglehold over the media down there that people just lap it up and can't understand what it's like elsewhere or whatever. And of course they bury all the unsavory stuff as much as they can - violence is underrported, racism not dealt with, the cosy relationship with Vicpol means it's all good. Many of their journos are pathetic mouthbreathers. And i've been turned off watching the AFL for many years now as a result of it all.

I agree with everything except "the game itself is not bad"

• 3 weeks later...

AFL took on football twice today.

On the ABC, Simon Hill pointed out that Women's sport was not invented by AFL on Offsiders today. He was politely laughed off by AFL host Keli Underwood 

And Optus Sport put this up today

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/os21234/football-belongs-clash-of-cultures?setDevice=mobile

AFL players losing to football players.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

So the "inventor" of Australian Rules Football may have been involved in genocide of Indigenous Australians 

Research discovery suggests AFL pioneer Tom Wills participated in massacres of Indigenous people https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-18/suggests-afl-pioneer-tom-wills-participated-indigenous-massacres/100463708

344777.jpg

4 hours ago, Paul01 said:

So the "inventor" of Australian Rules Football may have been involved in genocide of Indigenous Australians 

Research discovery suggests AFL pioneer Tom Wills participated in massacres of Indigenous people https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-18/suggests-afl-pioneer-tom-wills-participated-indigenous-massacres/100463708

That is absolutely huge. 

The "he was inspired by his love of aboriginal culture" bullshit will continue no doubt - I expect to see it hotly contested - but it will be good to see these two bit football "historians" who are no better than deluded Uncle Geoffrey and his claims that his murderer convict ancestor was really a misunderstood guy twist themselves in knots to keep their daft narrative alive. Wills was a classic British colonialist, educated at Rugby, who used Aboriginal people for a ******* circus act. Never forget that Sydneysiders pelted him with rocks till he ****ed off back to Victoria.

His quote:

"Just as we thought they were all settled I happened to see a dirty, shrinking, greasy brute with my Zingari jacket on sneaking off. O, the desecration of it! Fancy my Zingari jacket! O, didn't I gallop after him, and when I got alongside I emptied the whole six barrels of my revolver into him, the brute."

17 minutes ago, marron said:

Giants Training Ground: Tom Wills Oval.

AFL won't be claiming the indigenous Australians anymore

Adam Goodes was playing football (round ball) in the Eastern Suburbs before Covid hit in. I thought it was o35s.

On 18/09/2021 at 2:14 PM, marron said:

it will be good to see these two bit football "historians" who are no better than deluded Uncle Geoffrey and his claims that his murderer convict ancestor was really a misunderstood guy twist themselves in knots to keep their daft narrative alive.

In 3, 2, 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-23/tom-wills-descendant-claims-he-sent-afl-murder-information/100479830

Descendants of Wills have fairly different viewpoints on his conduct.

33 minutes ago, Carns said:

In 3, 2, 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-23/tom-wills-descendant-claims-he-sent-afl-murder-information/100479830

Descendants of Wills have fairly different viewpoints on his conduct.

“Mr McPherson had hoped his work on Wills might be included in The Australian Game of Football since 1858, the AFL's official celebration of the game's 150th anniversary in 2008. That book — for which the AFL retains copyright, and which was introduced by then-AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou — contained extensive material on the game's founders that made no reference to Mr McPherson's allegation that Wills was a mass murderer.”

Have you met the AFL buddy?

All panning out as expected, AFL types clinging desperately to the white massacre fella as the OG anti-racist because they really desperately want the link to the unrelated Aboriginal game.

Meanwhile, the reading on #AFLM is pretty interesting too, they, uh, don't like the idea of the AFL having women in it, which is weird, seeing as they invented women in sport. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...