1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Still not far enough,

I reckon Antarctica would suit.

12 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I reckon Antarctica would suit.

But that's closer than France! 

28 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

But that's closer than France! 

No stadiums no broadcast facilities. Does that help?

Ok this one is actually kinda funny.

A COUNTRY AFL player was best-on-ground in the first half of his side’s AFL semi-final — until he fled the field to avoid arrest.

POLICE have arrested a country footballer who fled his match at halftime on the weekend to avoid arrest.

Jarrah Maksymow, 26, was wanted on charges of assault, break-and-enter and driving offences.

For operational purposes, police had agreed to allow Maksymow — who was playing for Henty in their semi-final clash against the Brock-Burrum Saints in the Hume league on Saturday — to play out the match before issuing the arrest.

But the 26-year-old took advantage of the police’s good grace, fleeing the game at halftime.

Maksymow, the former Bacchus Marsh and North Albury star midfielder, was arrested on Monday at a home in Wodonga.

Henty coach Joel Price admitted Maksymow’s quick exit was a distraction during his side’s 33-point loss.

Maksymow was one of the best players on the ground in the first half before making a break for freedom.

Henty was left a player short in the second half due to Maksymow’s departure.

Police requested assistance in locating the fugitive, but the public were urged not to approach him.

“For operational reasons, an arrangement was made to arrest the man at the end of the game,’’ a NSW police spokesperson said.

“However, he left the scene prior to the match finishing. “Inquiries are continuing.”

Fairfax Media reports the decision to not arrest Maksymow at the footy ground will be reviewed by police management

For the record..…….2 more brawls at the AFL last weekend.

The first is handbags at 5 paces.

The 2nd is disgusting.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/c...ut-after-optus-stadium-punch-up-ng-b88956110z

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vic...er-brutal-finals-assault-20180910-p502wv.html

19 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

For the record..…….2 more brawls at the AFL last weekend.

The first is handbags at 5 paces.

The 2nd is disgusting.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/c...ut-after-optus-stadium-punch-up-ng-b88956110z

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vic...er-brutal-finals-assault-20180910-p502wv.html

cant wait for the AFL SHAME headline from the sun

Yep they won't bite the hand that's.......up their ass making them talk like muppets.

Bye bye to double page spreads in Sydney newspapers on Swans or Mauka Midgets.

Bye bye to the next bunch of "greater western sydney" players who will retire or change clubs and head back to melbourne having never actually set foot in western sydney.

You have no idea how glad I am to be living on the East Coast now that their stupid AFL team has made the 'granny'.

Nothing more unbearable than living in WA when their team is 'flying high'. 

58 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

You have no idea how glad I am to be living on the East Coast now that their stupid AFL team has made the 'granny'.

Nothing more unbearable than living in WA when their team is 'flying high'. 

Is Ben Cousins part of the back room staff?

I know AFL is cancer but if you get the chance check out the front bar on channel 7, legit one of the funniest shows around.

One of the panel just said to Gil McLachlan 'tough year for you with your team GWS not making the final'.

I nearly fell off my chair 10/10

suddenly am a fan of trucks

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/truck-crashes-into-front-door-of-afl-house-in-melbourne/news-story/55e5c8d207a6f5332ac185685cf7c264

A TRUCK has crashed into the front entrance of the AFL’s head office a day before the Grand Final.

AFL Media, which is based in the building, reports the truck was carrying copies of the Grand Final Footy Record.

The vehicle did not drive far into the building thanks to an overhanging glass canopy stopping it.

No-one was hurt but passers by and office workers were showered in glass as they ran to avoid the truck.

1 hour ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/truck-crashes-into-front-door-of-afl-house-in-melbourne/news-story/55e5c8d207a6f5332ac185685cf7c264

A TRUCK has crashed into the front entrance of the AFL’s head office a day before the Grand Final.

AFL Media, which is based in the building, reports the truck was carrying copies of the Grand Final Footy Record.

The vehicle did not drive far into the building thanks to an overhanging glass canopy stopping it.

No-one was hurt but passers by and office workers were showered in glass as they ran to avoid the truck.

Why wasn't it driven by isis is what i wanna know....

3 minutes ago, alexd said:

Why wasn't it driven by isis is what i wanna know....

i think its because them along with pretty much everyone else on the planet who has been oversea's has never heard of the afl :P 

21 hours ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

Probably had #sokkahtwitter written down the side 

I am watching my 10 minutes of AFL for the year.  Grand Final is down to 2 points with a few minutes left. What a stupid sport, just a bunch of dudes scrapping for a ball on the ground

Edited by btron3000

And people intentionally running the ball over their own goal to give the other team a point so they can't get 6...

15 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I am watching my 10 minutes of AFL for the year.  Grand Final is down to 2 points with a few minutes left. What a stupid sport, just a bunch of dudes scrapping for a ball on the ground

Seagulls n chips?

16 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Seagulls n chips?

I gave it 5 minutes because it was a grand final.

5 minutes too many. What a shocking sport. Skill level = 1/10.

Yeah yeah :lol:

One of the things the sport does well is chaos. Particularly in a tight one. The side that can find a clean possession will win out in those moments and it can go either way. 

There's plenty i don't like about the AFL and plenty more I don't like about the insular mindset it creates amongst it's supporters. 

But if you have a dog in the race, that chaos creates huge tension.  If you watched the last 10 it's like in football one side being peppered, shot after shot, clearing it to half way and no further,  parking the bus and then letting one in in injury time. The ball spilling and all those tackles, it's like every moment you're willing someone to get it clean, just like you'd be willing the clearances (or the shots) in a football match.

Edited by marron

Good points marron, I like a bit of chaos, but the thing that gets me is where you say “it can go either way”.

I think that, no matter how good someone is, it’s a bit random. The ball bounces one way, you lose. It goes another, you win. Sure, there are dudes who are better at dealing with that chaos, but those moments in the GF, where it was pretty even, it’s all up to the gods. I can see why that is a good thing - compare it to NRL these days where they have basically eliminated random events - but you want the game to go to the best, not the luckiest.

Maybe I just don’t know what I’m talking about!! Haha

No it's fair enough.

I think if you know the game enough - i'm no expert, but I played and have watched a fair bit over the years - you get a sense of the momentum and everything.... generally, the team with the momentum at the right times is going to come up with the ball. As happened. Collingwood had one or two moments where they could have nabbed a goal and sealed it but couldn't -  they only had a handful of those moments though, the Eagles had a stack in those last 10 minutes and finally got one - the skill told, there, too.

Normally though, the skill differential is enough that it doesn't come down to that, and results are usually pretty definitive.  Which, i would argue, is actually pretty boring.

I mean, look at us vs Al-Hilal. Right? That was pretty ******* great, and if I was a neutral, I'd say the same. We rode our luck so much in that second leg. :lol:

I like football because that possibility is actually higher than it is in most sports. Or at least, it feels like it is. The margins are narrower.

Anyway,  I should add, I collect ratbag teams who lose finals it seems, as I've been a nominal pie for 20 odd years. After today, I'm at 2/10 for grand final/cup final losses for teams i follow :woah: