NRL/Rugby Thread 2

18 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Can anyone explain why the NRL needs an Integrity Unit these days? Their integrity has been shot for ages as the majority of players are boofheads who will do stupid things from time to time. Many would be in jail if it wasn't for playing years. Other sports deal with minor offences at club level and the police get involved if crimes have been committed. 

My guess is the NRL want a layer of protection between the players and the police. That way instead of reporting to the authorities immediately they have time to get their stories straight, brief the right people in the media, intimidate witnesses, reach out to the Police Commissioner who they’re already tapping up to be on the ARL Commission, etc.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Smoggy said:

That was a brutal game between Parra and Penrith. If a Parra fan like me got to be proud of the shift put in.

But the long wait goes on. Meh, next time Parra win a GF after so long it has to be in Sydney anyway, not up in QLD.

Maybe Carl Robinson should use this game to inspire the A-League squad

5 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Maybe Carl Robinson should use this game to inspire the A-League squad

Yeah Arthur had Parra pumped last night. I really enjoy hard hitting attritional low scoring games like that.

Is Arthur the man to take Parra to the next step..dunno about that. But it gave us long suffering Eels fans something to be proud of.

Hope Penrith go on to win it, but don’t think they will beat the Storm. The Storm prob the biggest winners out of last night, they got to sit back and watch.

Edited by Smoggy
1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

I really enjoy hard hitting attritional low scoring games like that.

Yep, best NRL match I watched in attendance was in Melbourne (Storm 10 - Knights 4)

Gritty defence from both teams

It's a shame that low scoring matches (regardless of code of sport - NRL, AFL, football) are written off as dull irrespective of what actually happened in said match

All Melbourne Storm members will be given their 2022 passes for free

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2021/09/21/letter-to-storm-members/

"That’s why next year, we are pleased to announce your membership is on us – your club, Melbourne Storm.

In recognition of the commitment and support you have given us over these last two years, we wanted to give something back to you.

All 2020 and 2021 members who live in Victoria and who had match access as part of the membership, will get their 2022 membership free".

• 2 weeks later...

Purely through happenstance over half the RL games I have ever been to have involved Penrith.

Dad was a Souths man but he only really followed League in the 60s I think so was just a bit of a glory hunter.

****, I just remembered I did join one of those big souths protests back in the day, but I was just in the city anyway and having a bit of a laugh with some mates

Edited by marron
1 hour ago, marron said:

Purely through happenstance over half the RL games I have ever been to have involved Penrith.

Dad was a Souths man but he only really followed League in the 60s I think so was just a bit of a glory hunter.

****, I just remembered I did join one of those big souths protests back in the day, but I was just in the city anyway and having a bit of a laugh with some mates

First game of NRL I ever watched was the 2001 GF between Newcastle and Parra. I recall Parra were massive faves and got absolutely smacked in the first half, they were like 20 points down or something, totally choked.

It was at that point I realised that Parra were the team for me as they slot in well with every other team I follow.

Edited by Smoggy

My first game of League I think was at Penrith in about 1992, my uncle took me.. It was vs Cronulla and I remember the whole crowd chanting Ettinghausens name haha. I think the next season another distant relative who is an SCG member took me to the Grand Final which was a washout between Brisbane and St George. Most of my other games have been ground hopping when mates who are actually fans have had spare tickets- Leichhardt, Brookvale - both of those were Penrith. And then one or two first division or whatever at Henson Park I think. Oh and I went to a Wests game at Pratten Park too, again, friends were going. I think maybe I might have gone to a game at North Sydney back in the day but I don't remember all that clearly. Pretty bizarre really, I've zero interest in League at all.

First rugby league game I went to was the 1965 grand final St George v Souths.

It was my last school year, a mate from round the corner suggested we go. We got there late, the gates were open and we got in for free. Up on the hill somewhere, standing up, the place was packed, a record crowd at the time I think, I could barely see anything. I ended up standing on someone's abandoned foam esky, until it collapsed, St George won again (10th in a row).

I don't think I went to another one until 1991.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

First game of NRL I ever watched was the 2001 GF between Newcastle and Parra. I recall Parra were massive faves and got absolutely smacked in the first half, they were like 20 points down or something, totally choked.

It was at that point I realised that Parra were the team for me as they slot in well with every other team I follow.

I was at that game as well. Farkin pissed off I was, considering my earliest games I remember attending were all at the old Cumberland Oval and I have basically been an Eels fan since I was born.

My earliest memories are being a 5 or 6 year old sitting on my dad's shoulders on the old Cumberland Hill (well most of it was hill (lol) in the early 70's. Dark days back then, but as the 70's progressed, things just got better and better.

Come 1976, Ray Price joined, and it was all uphill from there until 1986.

We made 7 grand finals in his 11 years at the club. I attended 6 of them. I had the mumps in 1976, but made up for it by attending both GF's in '77. The draw and the replay on the Tuesday afternoon. Our teachers let us off school early that day to go to the game. I bet Wendy wouldn't do that! :)

Mick Cronin joined in '77 and he played 6 GF's in 10 years.

It's no wonder that we've only been in two GF's since both those legends retired.

Parramatta will go ape **** when they finally win another. By far the biggest and most passionate supporter base in Sydney. Over 33000 members this season.

Edited by Wanderboy

When my dad came to Australia he lived in North Sydney so he supported the North Sydney Bears. First game I went to was a Bears game against Canberra at North Sydney Oval in the early 90’s.

Pretty sure Parra will win another grand final before the Bears do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Decent crowd at Penrith tonight....plenty of kids down there....can someone explain that "can't take my kids to an A League game on a school-night" excuse again?

Not trying to make excuses but the NRL is more popular than the A League. That's a fact.

The MSM media coverage is something the A League would die for.

Penrith are the champions and their fans didn;t get to see them play last season.

I think we need to stop worrying about other codes and worry about the A League. Fan and attendance  wise we are not in a good place.

13 minutes ago, sonar said:

Not trying to make excuses but the NRL is more popular than the A League. That's a fact.

Penrith are the champions and their fans didn;t get to see them play last season.

I think we need to stop worrying about other codes and worry about the A League. Fan and attendance  wise we are not in a good place.

Looks full because of 20K capacity

Stadium will be redeveloped on the NSW purse

2 minutes ago, mack said:

NRL gets blanked coverage on every tv station, radio & newspaper in NSW & Queensland because all the mainstream media and their owners have their own fingers in the NRL pie somewhere along the line.

A-League was lucky to get one article at the bottom of the Fox Sports website even when we were on that broadcaster.

Yep. Exactly.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

I think you missed my point.....I just don't cop that excuse from Wanderers fans who complain about midweek games.

Edited by MartinTyler
3 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I think you missed my point.....I just don't cop that excuse from Wanderers fans who complain about midweek games.

I got your point.

Winning or being a top side matters as far as attendances go. 

Also we have been in for only 10 years not 55 like the Panthers.

I also wonder if we were a top competition side....ala ACL or leading the comp and the midweek game was a derby or Victory game.....whether WSW fans would be different. ?

8 hours ago, sonar said:

I got your point.

Winning or being a top side matters as far as attendances go. 

Also we have been in for only 10 years not 55 like the Panthers.

I also wonder if we were a top competition side....ala ACL or leading the comp and the midweek game was a derby or Victory game.....whether WSW fans would be different. ?

I agree that winning has a major impact but we still had the same excuses back in the days when we were doing well and had midweek ACL games.

• 2 months later...