NRL/Rugby Thread 2

25 minutes ago, SBW said:

What did I say that is wrong?

No true and pure football fans should be watching this garbage today. Plain and simple.

My sister, who is a member, also follows the Roosters ( Easts ) , which stems from the fact that our cousin played top team ( first grade ) for them many years ago. She should hand in her membership then ? We should disown her..?     

Edited by sonar

If anyone chooses to follow teams in other codes I don't think we should criticize them.

I grew up when Football was a game for Sheilas.... the school's I attended did not have a football (soccer) team unlike today.

Most people in Sydney would have grown up with NRL being the dominant sport. 

However, if you talk about AFL I have a different opinion because that code hates football.

5 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

However, if you talk about AFL I have a different opinion because that code hates football.

Liking the sport doesn't mean you agree with how the governing body conducts their business. Personally, I find the game boring, but you can separate the sport from the suits who run it (or one eyed supporters who do nothing but denigrate).

1 minute ago, Carns said:

Liking the sport doesn't mean you agree with how the governing body conducts their business. Personally, I find the game boring, but you can separate the sport from the suits who run it (or one eyed supporters who do nothing but denigrate).

For sure. But the AFL hierarchy has convinced a lot of their fan base that our game is evil.

I find NRL boring with 13 buffheads running at the other 13 buffheads. Not the skills shown in the last century.

1 hour ago, SBW said:

What did I say that is wrong?

No true and pure football fans should be watching this garbage today. Plain and simple.

And if some of our WSW players follow a team or have a nrl club membership do they get the treatment. 

I find nrl **** these days but everyone has a right to watch and follow whatever they want including awfel. 

1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

For sure. But the AFL hierarchy has convinced a lot of their fan base that our game is evil.

If a fan can't think for themselves, and come to their own conclusions, they were never willing to be open to something different anyway. It's ignorance and an unwillingness to challenge said ignorance.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

If anyone chooses to follow teams in other codes I don't think we should criticize them.

I grew up when Football was a game for Sheilas.... the school's I attended did not have a football (soccer) team unlike today.

Most people in Sydney would have grown up with NRL being the dominant sport. 

Nothing's changed, a quote from The Death and Life of Australian Soccer:

"People who come to this country and accept all the advantages should support Australian Rules football instead of furthering their own code, said one (AFL) committeeman in 1951. There must be a united front from all Australian football clubs to halt the soccer movement,  said another "

And other various blatantly discriminatory or racist anti soccer statements and decisions in the 50s.

Edited by Edinburgh
6 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Nothing's changed, a quote from The Death and Life of Australian Soccer:

"People who come to this country and accept all the advantages should support Australian Rules football instead of furthering their own code, said one (AFL) committeeman in 1951. There must be a united front from all Australian football clubs to halt the soccer movement,  said another "

And other various blatantly discriminatory or racist anti soccer statements and decisions in the 50s.

And now the Victorian Govt seems to be refusing to build suburban rectangular grounds.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Carns said:

Interesting article about the separation of Rugby Union and League in the UK.

https://theovertake.com/~beta/league-vs-union-rugbys-ugly-class-divide/

@Smoggy and @marron this might be up your alley as it touches on history, class, North/South divide etc.

Nice read, thanks for that :good:

League in the North of England is very specific to the middle belt of Yorkshire and Lancashire from Hull, through Leeds and Bradford and on to places west of the Pennine Hills like Wigan, Widness and St Helens, the coal mining areas. I grew up North of that belt and there is no big rugby league team in North East England and so I never had a team but when the challenge cup final came around it was always on our TV.

Funny that a game that was so specific to a region in England became the biggest sport in NSW.

Edited by Smoggy
36 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

League in the North of England is very specific to the middle belt of Yorkshire and Lancashire from Hull, through Leeds and Bradford and on to places west of the Pennine Hills like Wigan, Widness and St Helens, the coal mining areas.

My family in the UK originates in the Lancashire and Merseyside regions and my best mate is from Widnes (loves football and league) so I'm well familiar with the North's (in part) love with league.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dragons-slam-kogarah-as-not-up-to-standard-after-trial-shift-20190221-p50zfg.html

Dragons slam Kogarah as 'not up to standard' after trial shift

Dragons officials remain concerned their Kogarah base won’t be ready to host their first home game of the NRL season next month, bemoaning a recent soccer edict to have the grass cut shorter for A-League and W-League fixtures.

St George Illawarra on Thursday took the unusual step of moving their scheduled weekend trial against Newcastle to Wollongong’s WIN Stadium, barely 48 hours before it was due to be played.

Dragons bosses and NRL officials inspected Netstrata Jubilee Oval twice on Thursday before informing Georges River Council, which manages the ground, the playing surface wasn’t fit for millions of dollars’ worth of NRL talent preparing for the regular season.

Jubilee Oval has already hosted seven Sydney FC A-League fixtures this season as well as the recent W-League grand final. Sydney FC has been forced to adapt this season without their usual Allianz Stadium home, which is undergoing redevelopment.

It’s understood soccer officials prefer the grass to be cut shorter for round ball matches as opposed to the desired level for NRL matches.

The Matildas are also due to play at Netstrata Jubilee Oval next Thursday against New Zealand as part of a Cup of Nations double header. It will be Ante Milicic’s first game in charge of the Matildas after Alen Stajcic’s controversial sacking.

The Dragons have been the ground’s long-term tenant and are due to return to Kogarah in round two for their clash against arch rivals South Sydney.

But so worried with the current state of the pitch they are privately concerned whether that match will go ahead at its intended venue.

On the change of ground for the Knights trial, Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston said: "This is extremely disappointing and inconvenient for everyone involved.

"As a club, we believe the condition of the playing surface is not up to the necessary or required standard and we are not prepared to risk injury to our players or the Newcastle Knights by playing at Netstrata Jubilee Oval in its present state.

"I apologise to our members and supporters for any inconvenience caused, but player safety needs to be of the highest priority.

"We have already requested further discussions with council representatives with respect to our opening home game against the South Sydney Rabbitohs in round two."

It’s the second NRL trial which has had to be moved over concerns about the playing surface with the Sharks to host Manly at Shark Park instead of the previously scheduled Lottoland.

Sydney FC boss Danny Townsend hopes the Kogarah surface is fit for play in a few weeks for their Champions League clash against Korean side Ulsan Hyundai.

Should Kogarah not improve, and with Leichhardt Oval and the SCG not up to Asian Football Confederation standards, Townsend said ANZ Stadium could emerge as a potential venue for the March 6 fixture.

"The playing surface has been fantastic, but it has also deteriorated significantly," Townsend said. "It's only been the last two games it's started to fall away. It's playable. It's not unsafe. The problem is where there are bare patches and the ball rolls differently.

"We have nowhere else to take our [Champions League game on March 6]. The AFC have to come out and check the ground.

"We would most likely have to play it at ANZ, I'm guessing, but we're banking on them working on it. The ground staff [at Kogarah] have been first rate, but with the heat, the rye grass has died off, and when the rye grass dies off, there's nothing underneath it.''

The 11th-hour shift of the Dragons-Knights trial is not the first time Netstrata Jubilee Oval has been shrouded in controversy this month with a nasty spat emerging over the tender process for the naming rights of St George Illawarra’s Sydney home.

It’s understood Georges River Council received only $81,000 per year for the naming rights, well below the market rate for other NRL venues.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently they are talking about wild cards for their finals series. Tells me that even in NRL they also struggle with teams at the bottom end and you are asking how to keep your audience drawn in when games become dead rubbers. Promotion/relegation has been talked about with NRL as well to expand their own league after the current licence expires most noise coming from the infamous Central Coast Bears and keep interest at the bottom end.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Eels got off to a decent start for a change. Seems to be some fight in this side. But early days and i am sure they will find a way to **** the season up.

Sorry boys , i thought we are talking only about football not egg ball,do they talk about football,dought it very much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As rugby union doesn't have a thread because no one gives a **** about it, figured it could go here (although he also played AFL too)

Israel Folau to be sacked for homophobic social media posts

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-11/israel-folau-set-to-be-sacked-by-rugby-australia/10993856

Regardless of his staunch religious beliefs, you can't go spouting vitriol when you're paid ridiculously well to be a public representative.

• 4 months later...