NRL/Rugby Thread 2

46 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

The licensed club and the football club are usually two separate entities. The former is effectively just a sponsor of the latter, albeit with closer ties. I expect that licensed club staff will suffer before the players.

True, Bankstown Sports Club stood down 500 staff today and that does no include cleaners or restaurant staff.

19 hours ago, Ossified said:

True, Bankstown Sports Club stood down 500 staff today and that does no include cleaners or restaurant staff.

I visit their sub clubs a lot (Auburn Tennis Club and Birrong Sports).
A few weeks ago the staff at Auburn Tennis Club were worried they'll be losing their job due to the circumstances.  (Personally, I hope they were none of those 500 people)

• 2 weeks later...

Tits the lot of them (and not in a good way)

Is this the end of the NRL island dream?

NRL chairman Peter V’Landys has told the Sydney Morning Herald that the league has permission to resume the competition “tomorrow if we wanted to”, appearing to crush our collective dreams of NRL island.

It comes after the deputy chief medical officer, Paul Kelly, hosed down suggestions the NRL could resume its season on 28 May, saying: “I don’t think they [the NRL] are a law unto themselves.”

V’Landys said the NRL had written permission from the NSW state emergency operations centre to resume, and said he had rung the NSW health minister, Brad Hazzard, on Friday to remind him that they were “exempted in the health order”.

He told News Corp that Kelly “unfortunately is unaware of the health order and our dealings with the relevant authorities”.

V’Landys told the SMH:

In reality we could do it tomorrow if we wanted to, but we’re not going to because we’re going to let the infection rate continue its stabilisation.

What we have juggled is to make sure we are no threat to the community’s health by spreading the virus. But I can’t see how we spread the virus if the players who are going there are all negative and playing each other in a sterile situation when we know they’re all negative.

We’ve got to go back to some sort of normality at some point in time. We just can’t be like this for the rest of our lives. And we would not do it if the risk wasn’t so low. We were playing and were allowed to play at 23% infection rate. It’s down to 1.48%. You should be able to get back.

On Friday the NRL has suggested it could resume its season on 28 May.

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Tits the lot of them (and not in a good way)

Is this the end of the NRL island dream?

NRL chairman Peter V’Landys has told the Sydney Morning Herald that the league has permission to resume the competition “tomorrow if we wanted to”, appearing to crush our collective dreams of NRL island.

It comes after the deputy chief medical officer, Paul Kelly, hosed down suggestions the NRL could resume its season on 28 May, saying: “I don’t think they [the NRL] are a law unto themselves.”

V’Landys said the NRL had written permission from the NSW state emergency operations centre to resume, and said he had rung the NSW health minister, Brad Hazzard, on Friday to remind him that they were “exempted in the health order”.

He told News Corp that Kelly “unfortunately is unaware of the health order and our dealings with the relevant authorities”.

V’Landys told the SMH:

In reality we could do it tomorrow if we wanted to, but we’re not going to because we’re going to let the infection rate continue its stabilisation.

What we have juggled is to make sure we are no threat to the community’s health by spreading the virus. But I can’t see how we spread the virus if the players who are going there are all negative and playing each other in a sterile situation when we know they’re all negative.

We’ve got to go back to some sort of normality at some point in time. We just can’t be like this for the rest of our lives. And we would not do it if the risk wasn’t so low. We were playing and were allowed to play at 23% infection rate. It’s down to 1.48%. You should be able to get back.

On Friday the NRL has suggested it could resume its season on 28 May.

But he won't get it on the box in the lounge room unless Fox take it.

Channel 9 don't want to give the Thugby League any money.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold calls police over vicious rumours

Embattled Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has called in police to investigate slanderous posts on social media about his personal life.

Seibold has hired Brisbane legal firm Howden Saggers to take his case to cyber security experts at Queensland Police to try to track down the people responsible.

The Broncos coach is in isolation at his Brisbane home for 14 days and under siege from scurrilous comments over the last 48 hours since he attended to a personal family issue last Friday night in Sydney after the loss to the Rabbitohs.

The comments have horrified his family who are already dealing with other personal issues.

His legal firm released the following statement.

“This is to address the allegations which have been recently made in relation to Brisbane Broncos Coach, Anthony Seibold in the last twenty-four hours,” the statement said.

“Due to the allegations which have circulated online and in other forums, Mr. Seibold has engaged Dave Garratt of Howden Saggers Lawyers to act on his behalf.

“At the appropriate time, this matter will be reported to the Queensland Police Service and other appropriate authorities for their consideration.

“Given the nature of these matters both personal and legal, no further comment will be made until such time as it has been considered by the Queensland Police Service and other appropriate authorities.”

Broncos chairman Karl Morris said: “I’ve been worried about Anthony’s well-being.

“’Seibs’ is back in Brisbane with his family. He is a resilient guy, we just want our coach to have a week’s break and we are supporting him the best way we can.”

The players are rallying around the coach.

“We send our love and support to Seibs,” said Joe Ofahengaue at training, “Whatever he stepped out of the bubble for, whatever reason, we send our support to him.”

Seibold has resorted to virtual coaching as interim Broncos coach Peter Gentle takes the reins for Saturday’s clash with Canberra.

He continues to help via online video calls with Gentle.

Seibold helped put together the players’ weekly video review session on Tuesday morning while also making daily calls to his coaching staff.

“I’m pretty sure that all the video we watched this morning came from coach (Seibold),” said Ofahengaue, who plays his 100th NRL game this weekend.

“I don’t know whether they do Skype calls or whatever but pretty sure (he’s still in daily contact).

“He’s got good staff around him that we all trust. Pete Gentle is doing an awesome job with us. He’s adding games during our session to lighten up the mood.”

Gentle’s first job is bringing Indigenous All-Star representative Jordan Riki into the side to make his NRL debut against the Raiders this weekend.

Experienced forward Ben Te’o replaces the axed Tevita Pangai Jr in the backrow in the other major change to Brisbane’s pack following last week’s 28-10 loss to the Rabbitohs.

--------------

i guess that rumour was BS after all...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 27/09/2020 at 11:31 AM, Smoggy said:

Top 4 finish for the Eels..but hardly convincing is it and hasn't been for a while. Can't see any major impact in the finals.

We could get to week 3 if we play our cards right. It was important to finish 3rd.

I agree though. The Eels haven't been convincing of late. 

I'm somewhat strangely confident against the Storm next week. God knows why? We have a 0 - 7 record against them in finals games!!

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What's it like to support a team that win's...in any code? I wouldn't ******* know...

Why don't I just chuck the lot in and support a big 4 prem club..a Melb storm type and ESFC lol

:sorry2:

I'm a very casual Parra fan but my mantra for the last 15 years at least is I expect them to lose and if they win it's a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Mate.

Sorry, but that was a Pen try every day of the week.

Melbourne have bossed this game.

There's something about that club that is so much better than every other club in the NRL. I'm sure it is Bellamy.

Just look at their record in the past 5 years.

I hate them with a passion, considering they cheated the Eels out of a 2009 Premiership, but you have to give them credit for such sustained success.