NRL/Rugby Thread 2

12 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Mate.

Sorry, but that was a Pen try every day of the week.

Melbourne have bossed this game.

There's something about that club that is so much better than every other club in the NRL. I'm sure it is Bellamy.

Just look at their record in the past 5 years.

I hate them with a passion, considering they cheated the Eels out of a 2009 Premiership, but you have to give them credit for such sustained success. 

Melbourne Storm = Sydney FC

Cheatb the salary cap and get the rub of just about every refereeing decision. 

22 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Melbourne Storm = Sydney FC

Cheatb the salary cap and get the rub of just about every refereeing decision. 

storm trainer deliberately going on the pitch to slow the game at a critical point pretty much sums up the storm as a club...

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

storm trainer deliberately going on the pitch to slow the game at a critical point pretty much sums up the storm as a club...

Smug bast***s just like the smug bast***s in Sydney's eastern suburbs 

^^^ Ahhh well... assuming the people of Melbourne even knew the game was on, it might have brightened up their day.

Must be so hard to have endured what they have had to suffer down there.

You've got to hand it to the NRL hierarchy...they do have a habit of putting the game in the spotlight for the wrong reasons....so today they announce they are scrapping the playing of the National Anthem at State of Origin (a good decision for mine as it's not an International or Grand Final) but then restore it again due to the pressure of 'public opinion' !! Who are these people? 2GB call-ins or did they get a spray from Alan Jones? I've also seen comments that players should be sacked if they don't sing!! Let's face it most of the players don't sing it anyway and not because of political issues. What a joke !!

They went through the anthem thing in February because of the All Stars game as well, what did they think was going to happen?

Vlandys, who runs the NRL now is in the same boys club as the rest of the right-wing nutters. Pretty much everything he's done in his career is steal money from the public to fund the toxic, racing\gambling industry. $235 million in 2007, $40 million in 2008, $150 million in 2010, cost the Government millions by getting a reduction in the tax rate Tabcorp (a privatised company) paid in NSW, millions on Government sponsorship of the Everest (the race that turned the Opera House into an advertising hoarding).

19 minutes ago, mack said:

They went through the anthem thing in February because of the All Stars game as well, what did they think was going to happen?

Vlandys, who runs the NRL now is in the same boys club as the rest of the right-wing nutters. Pretty much everything he's done in his career is steal money from the public to fund the toxic, racing\gambling industry. $235 million in 2007, $40 million in 2008, $150 million in 2010, cost the Government millions by getting a reduction in the tax rate Tabcorp (a privatised company) paid in NSW, millions on Government sponsorship of the Everest (the race that turned the Opera House into an advertising hoarding).

And don't forget His involvement in the torture and slaughter of thoroughbread race horses. He's a nasty piece of work. 

I'm not sure why you guys are so vengant against him.

V'Landys was the person that re-started Australian sport, ahead of schedule. He kicked the arse of the AFL (a good thing), and laid the ground work for all Aussie sport to get back on target, quickly. He knows how to run a sport, and he hates Victorians which is probably his greatest asset. :)

I'll always wonder whether our mob (FFA)  would have even had the knowhow and balls to organize a re-start to our season without the leadership, ideas and guidance of another sport. The A-League was in the prime of it's season, whereas the NRL had only just begun. Yet, they were the ones who took the bull by the horns and got re-started. How long did it take our mob of clowns to re-start our season, even after all this guidance, and even after the fact that our season was 75% complete.

Our leadership was, as usual, hopeless.

And...….it still is. I've just renewed my season tickets, and have no idea what I am getting for my money, besides a few stickers and a cap and a couple of vouchers. I wouldn't even know if there's going to be a season yet, and how I will be able to attend games. There's not even a draw out yet.

I'd be careful bagging out the NRL and Vlandys. He and they are way ahead of the FFA.

NRL had no choice but to go for it considering the amount of money they were potentially going to lose. And they're more reliant on broadcasting than the AFL are (who make more from attendances/memberships etc.) and have more money in reserve. Fox literally used the opportunity to try and get rid of A-league completely. For me the biggest lesson is how vulnerable some sports are to the whims of their broadcaster (including NRL).

Let's face it 90% of the players don't sing the national anthem at State of Origin or Grand Finals. Now this has all blown up again the focus will be on these players as the cameras pan across during the anthem. Will those who appear not to be singing incur the wrath of Scomo and RWNJs for not being patriotic enough?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/state-of-origin-2020-channel-9-suffers-worst-ratings-ever-recorded/news-story/95df496608a39da172845a6fc1c88673

State of Origin 2020: Channel 9 suffers worst ratings ever recorded

State of Origin’s controversial move to the end of the NRL season has been killed off almost instantly after being wiped out in TV land. The State of Origin was always going to take a hit in the TV ratings — but nobody expected the body count to be this high. It was announced on Thursday that the series opener in Adelaide attracted the lowest national TV ratings ever recorded for State of Origin with records going back to 2003. 

A shift to a November timeslot and being squeezed away from the front pages of newspapers by this week’s Melbourne Cup and US election left the greatest rivalry in Australian sport on the outer.

The NRL and Channel 9 paid dearly for the scheduling nightmare with records from OzTAM revealing a dramatic drop-off from the 2019 series. The national average audience of 2.38 million is the lowest rated Origin game ever recorded by OzTAM - since the category was first recorded in 2003. It was a dramatic cliff dive for Nine, after Game 1 of the 2019 Origin series had a whopping 3.21 million national viewers. The 2020 series opener was still clearly the top-rated show of the night.

It continues the worrying decline of big-event rugby league games with recent grand finals also failing to rate highly. It comes after a week of complaints from NRL fans leading into Queensland’s shock upset on Wednesday night over the entire Origin concept feeling like a poor imitation of the real thing.

Origin is the pinnacle of rugby league and is the jewel in the crown for the NRL in its TV broadcast deal negotiations — but all bets are off in the unexplored waters of November. After just one game — the knee-jerk reaction suggests Origin will be returning to its mid-season format in 2021.

Far from being controversial, I think that the NRL had no choice other than to put SOO at the end of the season. It was either that or forget it this year. It was never going to have the same appeal this time of year and coupled with Channel 9's generally crap coverage of the Grand Final I'm not surprised that ratings were down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A friend of mine is a Dragons supporters and I asked him what his thoughts about Folau joining the Dragons. He said "he won't be welcomed by the Dragon fans and fans from other clubs as well" 

V'Landys will definitely allow it to happen as it brings attention to the NRL but for all the wrong reasons. However, has there ever been a season where there's been no controversy by an NRL player? I don't think so. 

• 2 weeks later...

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Bulldogs player Adam Elliot who was supposed to be the best man for Michael Lichaa at his wedding was sleeping with Michael Lichaa's fiance and Michael Lichaa got so mad that he had a fight with Adam Elliot and yelled at his fiance.

NRL players hey?

Edited by SBW
14 minutes ago, SBW said:

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Bulldogs player Adam Elliot who was supposed to be the best man for Michael Lichaa at his wedding was sleeping with Michael Lichaa's fiance and Michael Lichaa got so mad that he had a fight with Adam Elliot and yelled at his fiance.

NRL players hey?

Team bonding :xnod:

• 1 month later...

Jarryd Haynes guilty of sexual assault......will go to jail judge says........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...